Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2005 12:22:54 PM EDT

I always look forward to the Automobile Dividend checks from USAA this time of year..It usually isn't much but its always nice to get a check in the mail instead of a bill.  This year's check came with a letter explaining how 2005 was the most costly year for the company on record..Grand Total $48.15  Usual checks are 2-5 times higher than that

Freaking Katrina
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
damn, mine was $300 two years ago and $180 last year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I feel better now
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't seen mine yet. Anything is better then nothing I guess.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
How is this paid out I dont ever remember receiving a dividend check from USAA.  Is it applied to any outstanding balance and the ballance adjusted.

I currently have 3 vechicles insured with USAA and a Savings account in their bank.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Small check is better than no check and then a rate increase.  Not to mention the service I've always gotten from USAA.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How is this paid out I dont ever remember receiving a dividend check from USAA.  Is it applied to any outstanding balance and the ballance adjusted.

I currently have 3 vechicles insured with USAA and a Savings account in their bank.

I have always just gotten a check.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts

Ditto.

+3

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts

Ditto.

+3

Ding!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not with USAA, so I don't get a year end goodie. But I bet next year I get a whopper of an increase, NOT THAT I'VE EVER FILED A CLAIM! They'll want me to help pay for the LTSL (less than sea level) chumps they insured. So why did God make REINSURANCE?

Sorry to vent, just getting in shape for my (ex) agent.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not with USAA, so I don't get a year end goodie. But I bet next year I get a whopper of an increase, NOT THAT I'VE EVER FILED A CLAIM! They'll want me to help pay for the LTSL (less than sea level) chumps they insured. So why did God make REINSURANCE?

You've already seen the increase because of the LTSL clowns.  Makes you wonder why we responsible people pay for our own insurance when the people who didn't bother with it are getting covered anyway.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

i recall hearing that it is adjusted based on how much more money you paid in than you actually used for claims.  the more times you use your insurance the smaller your check gets.  the first two years i was with USAA i got nothing because my wife was (is) such a horrible driver.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts

I got mine in the mail today...+1 on the something is better than nothing..I had been planning on taking the wife out for a dinner and a movie since the MIL was in town to watch the kids
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Curses. I kind of saw it coming though, since last year's was a little lean.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i recall hearing that it is adjusted based on how much more money you paid in than you actually used for claims.  the more times you use your insurance the smaller your check gets.  the first two years i was with USAA i got nothing because my wife was (is) such a horrible driver.

I think that is true but obviously there is less money to divide up, too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've already seen the increase because of the LTSL clowns.  Makes you wonder why we responsible people pay for our own insurance when the people who didn't bother with it are getting covered anyway.

You're talking about  this / year's increase. I'm referring to '06- I feel the vibes. Friggin' termite company is going from 85 to 125 and they couldn't tell a termite from a bulldog.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Shhhh! Don't tell my wife USAA has been SENDING us a check every year!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Man, I didn't even know about this.  I just started with USAA in March.  I may get upwards of $5!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Man, I didn't even know about this.  I just started with USAA in March.  I may get upwards of $5!!!!

But you're with USAA.  Take it from me, never give it up until they pry it from your...

Well, you know what I mean.  Stick with them.  I've seen the world outside USAA.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
so true.

i have my car and home insurance through usaa, my main credit card, a bank account, and a car loan.

its the best bank/insurance you can ever hope for.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
They are a great insurance company.  I have been with them since 1991 and I won't go anywhere else.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They are a great insurance company.  I have been with them since 1991 and I won't go anywhere else.

IDHunt

+1

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#24]
What's USAA?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What's USAA?

An insurance company for military members.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDHunt

+1

+2
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, at least we get a great free calendar each year, too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I haven't seen mine yet, but I did expect this.  Frankly, I was surprised last year's wasn't impacted by Ivan.  They are STILL the best out there, imho.  I have two auto loans and all of my insurance needs with them, I'd have my mortgage too, if they had the loan product I need.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's USAA?

An insurance company for military members.

It used to be officers and their immediate families only. I guess it was sometime in the mid 90's they opened up to enlisted personnel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I would have gone with USAA, but they wanted $50 a month more than State Farm for the same product.  No joy.  Never have needed much in the way of using insurance (it is a scam in some respects . . . no matter who you use) but this is the first I have heard of a company that gives money back to the insured .  Not enough to cover the difference, mind you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Jame_Retief

My sister, to her immortal shame, left USAA for State Farm in the 1970s because State farm offered her a lower premium on automobile insurance.

Then, a douchebag hit her parked car.  At her apartment (a large old Victorian house in Mobile AL divided into apartments).  Since it was Mobile, the old house was built up on piers.  The douchebag hit the side of her car and pushed her car up under the house.  Sideways.  Obviously not her fault.

She put in a claim.  State Farm cancelled her insurance.

Fast forward to after Hurricane Andrew.  USAA cheerfully paid off her POS Chrysler Le Baron that she was 'upside down' (loan-wise) in, plus gave her replacement value on everything she lost.

Service and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Shhhh! Don't tell my wife USAA has been SENDING us a check every year!

Remember the military policy "Don't ask, Don't tell"

The second part definately applies to the little Santa check this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn, Ma Danby got ours picked off when it came in. $2xx.xx or so.  Even with a my fault minor boo-boo.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I figured they would be kinda lean this year, but I have not gotten mine yet.

I think mine last year was almost $200 dollars.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Actually I just got mine today and  it was  larger than i expected due to the  huge insured losses incurred as a result of a very active hurricane season.  Plus 1 for USAA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Well...thanks for the bad news.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm expecting several thousand dollars from USAA any day now!!  Cancelled the last policy with them a little over 6months ago and the balance of my SSA is paying out in full.  Woo Hoo!!

Of course i wish that they had just lived up to the reputation and treated me fairly in the first place.  Seems that the USAA since about 1995 is not that same USAA that I started with in 1988 and that my dad started with in 1969.  Until 6 months ago i had never had coverage from any company other than USAA.  I did work for a number of other carriers and had offers for coverage, but no reason to change.  Then USAA gave me the reason to change.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
When my 16 year-old son was added to my policy, it increased our rates by the whopping sum of $320/year.

When my parked mini-van was clobbered by a lady in an F-150, USAA took care of everything, gave me about $1,000 more than I expected and gave me a great rate on my loan for my new (to me) 2002 Windstar SEL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had good luck with USAA. My only gripe is their firearms coverage. Max overall is $5k. They will do floaters for individual weapons, but require serials and other information. Having to insure each firearm separately is a pain in the butt. But what ya gonna do?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I've yet to find a reason to complain about USAA.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've yet to find a reason to complain about USAA.  

Me either, I have renters insurance, car, morotcyle, baking, credir cards, all through them.  Have been with them since 1998 or so, and loving every damn minute of it.  No other company can change all my addresses with one click of the mouse, or understands wtf I am saying when I say "TDY", or "PCS", etc. I have never once had a phone call with them that ended unsatisfactorily, they are the only company I actually like and recommend to friends and family, and they have my business for life.  If you think state farm or some other mainstream homos give you "better" rates, check what actual coverage you get and you'll usually find you are wrong.  USAA always pays actual replacement cost, not depreciated or appraised value BS.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I've had good luck with USAA. My only gripe is their firearms coverage. Max overall is $5k. They will do floaters for individual weapons, but require serials and other information. Having to insure each firearm separately is a pain in the butt. But what ya gonna do?

Most home owners and renters insurance does this.  Not just with firearms either, but with all expensive items over a certain value.  For most people it's jewelry, but it could be anything.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm expecting several thousand dollars from USAA any day now!!  Cancelled the last policy with them a little over 6months ago and the balance of my SSA is paying out in full.  Woo Hoo!!

Of course i wish that they had just lived up to the reputation and treated me fairly in the first place.  Seems that the USAA since about 1995 is not that same USAA that I started with in 1988 and that my dad started with in 1969.  Until 6 months ago i had never had coverage from any company other than USAA.  I did work for a number of other carriers and had offers for coverage, but no reason to change.  Then USAA gave me the reason to change.

What problem did you have with them?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't think I've ever got a check from them in the 5 years I've had them.

I pay roughly $50 a month though so I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:58:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Do what I did:  Take 20 mins to list in a Word doc all the info they ask for, then email it in.  I'm paying $120 a year for $10K of full replacement value coverage with zero deductible.

$10 a month to insure my guns is worth 20 mins of my time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#46]
USAA is the bomb.   They've got "decent" rates, handle claims really promptly and with no hassle whatsoever, and each year kick back a small check from your subscribers savings account.

This year it was "only" $150.  But hey, it's $150 I didn't have before AND this was despite the hurricane losses.

If you can get USAA do so, it's so worth it.

- CD
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Been with USAA for 15 years...
I dont bank with them because I have used Navy Federal Credit Union for over 25 years....
(NFCU is the largest, and best credit union in the country)

Even if the rates at USAA are a bit higher (they usually are lower) I dont care. Their service is outstanding. One of the best companies that I have ever dealt with. I have had to file a claim with them a few times, and they do take care of things quickly.

Oh... and I usually do get the dividend check every year. What other insurance company refunds part of your premium

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Only abut 50 this year. But hey, it is most companyies don't give back anything.

Sua Sponte,
Prib

"I very well aware of the the seven deadly sins,  I keep a busy schedule just trying to fit them in".....
<Warren Zevon>
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#49]
just got it.  $57.somthing

Better than a stick in the eye.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#50]
$41 and change.....auto insurance premium thing it showed up yesterday.

I have never gotten one for my homeowners, has anyone else?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top