Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 7:07:20 PM EDT
Is the gun show at the astrodome this weekend worth a damn? It's put on by the Houston gun Collectors assc. Is it just antiques or like a ammo/gun/knife show?

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
2000 tables.  There will be alittle of everything but no ammo.  As you walk in, to the right will be the military artifacts and collectibles with good displays and intersting museum type info.  Straight ahead the pistols/knife/rifle/assecory areas.  To the left and center, my personal favorites, the current military weapons, I mean tool sections.  And to the far far left antiques.  One time I almost bought a damn 50 year old piano. Go figure.

Anywhoo best shows of the year there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, the Astrodome gun show is only good because it's so big and a lot of people show up.  I actually hate the tables there, because the same vendors sell the same PIECES OF CRAP GUNS.  It's funny.  I've been going to every other one for about 3 years, and I see THE SAME PISTOLS from the same vendor.  Usually it's some old gun from 1940 or 1950 that's in terrible condition and they are wanting to sell it for four times its value.

BUT, it's a great show because I buy firearms off of the people walking around.  I just simply walk up to anyone carrying a pistol or rifle and say, "Excuse me, are you selling?"  If so, I usually get nice pieces for decent prices...and no paperwork!!!  

The guys at the tables are all the same (typical of gun shows)...they see you selling something and ask to look at it.  Then, they "slam" your firearm and offer you 1/3 it's value.  Meanwhile, they might be selling the same gun at their table for 5x their buying price.  It's frustrating.

OH YEAH.  At the center FAR BACK of the hall there is a company that has TONS of brass and lead in every caliber imaginable.  Good prices for buying from them.  The only negative is that they are so far in the back, you have to walk a mile with your newly-purchased 40lb. bag of lead.  Take a luggage roller with you if you think you will buy lead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the gun show at the astrodome this weekend worth a damn? It's put on by the Houston gun Collectors assc. Is it just antiques or like a ammo/gun/knife show?

View Quote

The Astrohall Show (convention area right next to the Dome)is the biggest & best show that takes place in Houston & maybe all of Texas.It takes place about 4 times a year.

If your looking for new there will be plenty of vendors with brand new product while there are still plenty of people with nice used stuff to sell also just requires a little searching.

There is usually a good selection of knives too.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

BUT, it's a great show because I buy firearms off of the people walking around.  I just simply walk up to anyone carrying a pistol or rifle and say, "Excuse me, are you selling?"  If so, I usually get nice pieces for decent prices...and no paperwork!!!  

The guys at the tables are all the same (typical of gun shows)...they see you selling something and ask to look at it.  Then, they "slam" your firearm and offer you 1/3 it's value.  Meanwhile, they might be selling the same gun at their table for 5x their buying price.  It's frustrating.
View Quote

Your right on with the first part!!

The second quote is accurate too but I would say it's true of most dealers at ANY gun show. Almost like car salesmen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
So eeshooter you made it to Houston.
Send me  a email. What part of town did you settel in ?
The gun show in the Astro hall this week end is the biggest one we have, but no ammo.
Next week end the 11 12th at the GRB is where i go to get ammo. Welcome to Houston.

Falcon out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been going to the show there for nearly a decade.  My Dad and I almost always find what we are looking for and for better prices that the local dealers ask.  I suggest a note book and back pack for making notes of the prices and where they are and for carring out your loot.  The tables are numbered.  I am just dissapointed that CFI no longer showes up.

chida66
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
btt
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Its an excellent place to buy new.  Lots of big dealers and lots of competition for your $$$.  I always hear of alot of people in the Houston area going to Carter's Country to buy.  I HATE CARTER'S COUNTRY & if it were up to Bill Carter, there would be no more gunshows.  That way he could charge you what he wants to with little competition.  What an Asshole.  Also, most of the sale staff at Carter's are complete assholes.  Go to the shows and stay away from carter's country.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How is Houston to settle in? What is the inside scoop?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Also,

In the military collectables area, on Saturday, two of the surviving pilots from the "Flying Tigers" will be there for you to meet and sign autographs.

I was lucky enough to get the autograph of the bombadier of the Enola Gay, several years ago.  Whether you agree with the action of dropping the bomb (I certainly do) or not, its not many times you can talk to a man, and shake his hand, whose single action changed the course of History.

My youngest daughter and I are going around 10:00am Saturday.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I will be at the gun show tis Saturday. Hope  to see you mister Ant.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I will be checking it out on Sunday.
I have seen one 1911 pistol float around from dealer to dealer at that show for about the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The HGCA shows at Reliant Hall (formerly the Astro Hall) are the best gun shows in Houston. While I can't disagree with the proposition that it is the same people selling the same things (I wonder why some of them are there because I never see them selling anything), the selection is better, though the prices are often a little higher than they are at the gun shows held at the Brown Convention Center. The shows to skip in Houston are the ones held in the Pasadena Convention Center because it is too small.

By the way, I saw some USGI 30 round mags at one table for $10 each.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I went today, and it sucked.  It was so crowed you could not take a good look. The priceas where throu the roof. I will not make the next one there.  It was 5.00 to park 6.00 to get in and then the prices where outrages.  
Save your money and stay home.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Just for curiosity sake, why no ammo sales? The first gun show I went to was at the Astrohall in '73 or '74. I thought $300 was a lot of money for my friend to pay for an new AR. We bought 7.62 blanks (5 cents a round) and a full-Auto selector switch for the M-14s we had in JROTC. My how times change.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Brouhaha, how often do shoot?  If it ain't but once or twice a month then you may be better off going to the National Forrest shooting area to the northwest of Conroe.  No facilities, but no rules either and alot of the time there is no one else there.  If you want to e-mail me I will give you directions.  Carter's Country is a nice place to shoot, I hate to give them credit, but I heard thier prices really went up.  The sales people at Carter's REALLY SUCK.  If it were a car dealership then it would fold in a week.  Be cool.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its an excellent place to buy new.  Lots of big dealers and lots of competition for your $$$.  I always hear of alot of people in the Houston area going to Carter's Country to buy.  I HATE CARTER'S COUNTRY & if it were up to Bill Carter, there would be no more gunshows.  That way he could charge you what he wants to with little competition.  What an Asshole.  Also, most of the sale staff at Carter's are complete assholes.  Go to the shows and stay away from carter's country.
View Quote

You type the Truth!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went today, and it sucked.  It was so crowed you could not take a good look. The priceas where throu the roof. I will not make the next one there.  It was 5.00 to park 6.00 to get in and then the prices where outrages.  
Save your money and stay home.
View Quote

The big shows are crowded & the parking/admission fees are too much BUT
the prices are better than ANY retail gun dealer in Houston!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Brouhaha You live near the forest, and that is by far the best place to shoot. Git you a fold up table to shoot from.  If you go up there early you will be the only one there. The National Forest is the only place i go to shoot.
 The gun show realy sucked. I go to all the shows so when i say it sucked it realy sucked.
I will be at the Pasadena show next weekend.

EEshoter, are you in the Jerse Vilage area?
My email addres is on the top of my post.

Falcon out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got back from the show and all I can say is "yawn."  The best deal I saw was an Olympic converted to 9mm for something like $550. I don't think there were 2000 tables this time.  This show is normally better in the fall.  The good thing about this show is there are lots of AR's, parts and accessories.

As far as the now ammo sales, someone explained it to me a while back and I can't remember at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top