Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 6:49:08 AM EDT
Will be getting these Timberlands for Christmas - what kind of protectant should I use to preserve them?  I see the waxes and sprays, but I figured I should tap the ARFCOM knowledgebase for your expertise.  Thanks.

www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1774618&cp=1762199.1780841.1780825&parentPage=family

(Uninsulated oiled full-grain leather upper for comfort and long wear
Goodyear Welt Construction for rugged durability)
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Christmas

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Oil them up with mink oil
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
ohhh.....I thought you said Christmas BOOBS!!!!    damn......
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can assure you, you do not want to see my boobs.  They're not fat, but their not exactly bald either...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Boot condoms.
I always heard boots were to protect your feet.
Never thought to protect my boots.Hmmm.........

Boot condoms?Now you can finally ask for one a foot long! BWAHAAHAHHAAHHH!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What he said...............
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can assure you, you do not want to see my boobs.  They're not fat, but their not exactly bald either...

Do you get "man shadows" ( that's booby burn shadows for you who are uninitiated into the mysteries of "man boobs" if you are out shirtless in the summer????  I do.......makes me sad......
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a beeswax product, like SNO-SEAL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't treat my work boots with any kind of oil, wax, protectant or sealer. They're work boots, for crying out loud. They get covered in mud, concrete, shit, flour, feed (a.k.a. "Pig Shit Starter"), paint, grass, snow, oil, grease and general industrial funk. When they get dirty, I hose them off. When they get worn out, I buy a new pair. I'm not trying to impress anybody with how shiny my work boots are.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christmas

Nice
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I use spray silcone from Wall-Mart on my shoes.  Shoes are expensive, and if it helps to make them last longer, than more power to you.  I find that spraying on some silicone will also make them a bit easier to clean.  There are also some non-silicone water-proofing products out there, but I don't know how well they work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Obenaufs...Best stuff around!

www.obenaufs.com/
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't treat my work boots with any kind of oil, wax, protectant or sealer. They're work boots, for crying out loud. They get covered in mud, concrete, shit, flour, feed (a.k.a. "Pig Shit Starter"), paint, grass, snow, oil, grease and general industrial funk. When they get dirty, I hose them off. When they get worn out, I buy a new pair. I'm not trying to impress anybody with how shiny my work boots are.

I treat mine to keep them from absorbing moisture and from allowing moisture to get to my feet.

Beeswax will actually make the color a little darker and a little bit of a matte final luster.

Also, if you prevent them from absorbing moisture they will likely last longer, reducing the number of times you need to replace them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Mink oil, cause they look like nice boots.
If you wanna go cheap, peanut oil.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Mink oil rots the thread in boots.

SnoSeal will waterproof them, but you will need to reapply it every couple of weeks.

Neatsfoot oil, applied sparingly, is best for leather. It's what the tannery uses on hides when they break the leather. You don't want to use too much or it will also rot the thread.

Anything you put on boots will either degrade the leather or the stiching thread. One or the other. Some stuff like motor oil would degrade both. (yup, I saw a guy 'treat' his boots with motor oil once).
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#18]
100 bucks and they are imported I'd spend a little more and get made in the USA...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
pcsutton: silicone will not have an adverse affect on leather, that is why some manufactureres recommend silicone grease for lubrication of rubber seals on machines etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
100 bucks and they are imported I'd spend a little more and get made in the USA...

I wouldn't have purcahsed them if they were that much.  I got them for half off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
SnoSeal will waterproof them, but you will need to reapply it every couple of weeks.

My boots are not super hard use, but I only apply it once a season.  If they got wet more often, I would apply it more often.

Anything you put on boots will either degrade the leather or the stiching thread. One or the other.

Beeswax has not been hard on my boots over the years, which is why I like it.  Though you may be right, I have not seen a degradation in service life by using it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1...This is the exact, correct, perfect answer. Mink oil will, in time, degrade all non-natural fibers (stitching). Sno-seal is a bees-wax product, and does not harm a single thing on the boot. I've been using it in one form or another for the last 10 years on my hunting boots, and to this day they shed water like duck's back.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1...This is the exact, correct, perfect answer. Mink oil will, in time, degrade all non-natural fibers (stitching). Sno-seal is a bees-wax product, and does not harm a single thing on the boot. I've been using it in one form or another for the last 10 years on my hunting boots, and to this day they shed water like duck's back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Obenaufs is a good product.  For waterproofing the orignial Camp Dry (the silicone based one, not the performance version) with the black top and tan label or Tectron Boot and Shoe Protector work very well. Mink and neatsfoot oil can cause the leather to break down and get too soft.  Backpacker did a test a few years ago on water proofing products and the mink oil actually caused the leather to be less waterproof, probably because it broke down the natural fibers of the leather.  I've read that in another source years before about oils, especially on leather that wasn't originally treate that way by the tanner.  Wax based products are safe on any leather and don't soften or weaken the leather too much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

When protecting boots to be used in winter snow climes, this is my choice, down here in the heat of Texas though I generally use the mink oil.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Pecards. Stuff is great.

http://www.pecard.com/en-us/pg_18.html

http://www.equecare.com/
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been using Sno-Seal on my Sorel Caribou leather/rubber pac boots for twenty + years and they are in perfect condition. Sno-Seal will NOT rot the stitching like some other conditioner/waterproofers. The trick to applying it is have the leather warmed up really well and apply it so it gets absorbed into the leather. I use a hair dryer on medium heat (don't heat the leather up too much). You only need to apply it once per season.

www.atsko.com/snoseal.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top