Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 6:30:13 PM EDT
I have shot at the Renton Fish and Game Club Gun Range and various gravel pits all my life, but lately I have been wanting to shoot at ranges greater than those at the RFGC range (200 yds.). What other ranges are there in the Seattle area, and how far out do their ranges go?

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I left Washington in 1956. I had the best
shooting range in the state though, as I lived
in Soap Lake and caused much grief to the
Jack Rabbits in the area for years with my Marlin 99 Single Shot rifle. I had previously
lived in Seattle as my dad worked for Boeing's
Aircraft Co. in the "Special Projects" building,
you know, "Minuteman Missile, B-52, AWAC's, etc.
Nearest Range where I live now is 20 miles from
me. Fortunately I have a 200 yard range on my
property but have slowed down my shooting due to
a few houses are starting to pop up in the area.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in Seattle, but now live down in the Portland metro area.  I was trying to find a place where my bro-in-law and I could meet for long range shooting and ran across the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club in Eatonville (South of Seattle).  They have a 1000 yd range.

[url]http://www.members.tripod.com/unsc/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Kenmore Range, just north of Bothell, has a 300yd range.  It is a nice facility, but unfortunately, the people running it are psycho control freaks.

First you have to join the range.  That means you have to apply, and then go to a monthly club meeting to be formally introduced to the half a dozen people who show up.  Then you have to go to a Range Committee meeting -- conveniently scheduled a few days before the membership meeting, so you have to wait a month -- and ask for special permission to use the range you paid your membership money to use, and oh by the way, you want to use it out to 300 yards, not just 100 yards (a separate piece of permission).

Even then, you can only load a single round into your gun each time -- no loaded magazines. That's another, separate, special permission, and the rangemasters apply it inconsistently, with some insisting that it holds true ONLY IF you happen to be doing position shooting for DCM competition practice at the time (which is another separate permission you have to ask for, otherwise you're required to shoot from sandbags on a bench).

There are various other perfectly ordinary things that nobody would ever think twice about doing which are also special-permission-only situations.

Then there is the trap range, which is run by a bunch of clubby old fellows who think that it's just fine if a buddy of theirs accidentally discharges a shotgun INSIDE the clubhouse, and who get all pissy at the control freaks for throwing the guy out.

I don't know which group is worse.

If you go, expect the rangemasters to be highly abrasive.  I've run into several people who won't go back because they were treated rudely by the guys in the booths for no reason whatsoever.  And I know they're telling the truth, because I've been present when such things have happened.

Other than that, it's a nice place.  Give it a try.  I'd take you and show you, but they don't allow nonmembers onto the "good" (300yd) range, not even to see what it's like.

If it weren't so close to where I live. . . .

[url]http://www.kenmorerange.com/[/url]

There's also Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club, which I've heard is very friendly and doesn't throw up these ridiculous "special permission to breathe" rules, but they only go out to 200 yards.  I haven't shot there yet, so this is all second-hand.

[url]http://www.svrifle.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Check Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association at wsrpa.org
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to travel we have a 500 meter range west of Chehalis.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want to travel we have a 500 meter range west of Chehalis.
View Quote

Do you have a range name, address, phone, web address, email address?

email me off board if you don't want to post it.  Chehalis is closer for me than Eatonville.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It is the PeEll Sportsmen Club.  They are not huge on AR's due to the flying of brass but if you police it everyone can get along.  It is a non mastered range.  During the summer months on weekends they do have competitions you need to schedule around.  If you need anymore info Email me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top