User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2005 12:57:51 PM EDT

Timeframe: Vietnam era
Main character: John Kelly, Navy SEAL
Tagline:  Beware the fury of a patient man

The basic premise of the book is about a Navy SEAL who has served during the Vietnam War and is now back in the world with his own business.

One day his pregnant wife is killed by an 18 wheeler when the trucks brake system failed.  
6 months later he picks up a hitchhiker (an attractive young woman) to give her a ride, nothing special.

He realizes he is attracted to her and learns about her and her past.  

She has recently made it out of a drug delivery ring and John Kelly decides that is in her past and looks to move on in life with her.  He helps her get healthy and back on track.

Problem is that the drug ring finds out she is alive and kills her and strings her up on a public fountain (like the big concrete ones in the park) to make an example of her to the other 'delivery' girls.

The police come to Kelly to find out about her and they show him the pictures of the crime scene.

Kelly begins to plan:  Inner monologue "They've never met anyone like me"

Ok, no more spoilers .  Now Vote!

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
they would screw it up, and it would need to be at least 8 hours long

a miniseries perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but NOT if it's anything like Patriot Games the movie.  Holy mother of crap, that movie sucked!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

a miniseries perhaps?

hmmm......
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably one of my favorite books...  I will say this, if it is made into a movie, they will fuck it up compared to the book.  Name one GREAT TC movie?  

Maybe if the guy that made Boondock Saints directs it...  Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard at one time they were talking to Keanu Reeves about the role of John Kelly/John Clark.That would suck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell Yes!!!! He drives a Scout in it
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
yes.  I would also like to see R6 made into a movie.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see John Kelly played by either Ben Browder (Stargate SG-1, Farscape) or Christian Bale (Batman Begins)

and I totally agree that it would HAVE to stick to the book as much as possible

edit: grammular
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It would be nice, but alas, they would fuck it up.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
wouldn't be PC, therefore won't be a movie
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like to see "The Sum Of All Fears" made into a movie.

You know, but do it right this time.

No PC Bull....

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Good news.

Friday 2nd April 2004: Without Remorse Update:
Writers Stuart Beattie and John Enbum have been signed up by Paramount to write screenplays for the two Tom Clancy novels Without Remorse and Rainbow Six. The books follow CIA agent John Clark with Without Remorse following an ex-Navy SEAL who infiltrates a gang responsible for killing a woman he loved and then taking on a new name and life as John Clark, then in Rainbow Six he joins with several colleagues to leave the CIA and create an England-based multinational org designed to battle terrorism.

They would actually have to film it in Baltimore to make it the best it could be.
My father worked BCPD during the same time period as the book was written (Homicide no less) and he said he was astounded at the attention to detail Clancy gave.
Street names, everything about Baltimore geography was correct.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good news.

Writers Stuart Beattie and John Enbum have been signed up by Paramount to write screenplays for the two Tom Clancy novels Without Remorse and Rainbow Six. The books follow CIA agent John Clark with Without Remorse following an ex-Navy SEAL who infiltrates a gang responsible for killing a woman he loved and then taking on a new name and life as John Clark, then in Rainbow Six he joins with several colleagues to leave the CIA and create an England-based multinational org designed to battle terrorism.

They would actually have to film it in Baltimore to make it the best it could be.
My father worked BCPD during the same time period as the book was written (Homicide no less) and he said he was astounded at the attention to detail Clancy gave.

Release date ???
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but they will prolly fuck it up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It'd be nice to see it on the screen, but it'd have to be incredibly long to have a chance at getting in most of the book.

Also Hollywood would fuck it up beyond belief. John Clark would be a black woman who had a lesbian relationship with the hitchhiker, who would also be a minority. The drug dealers would all be white men. "Jane" Clark would drive around talking them out of the business, because we all know that guns are evil, and anyone but the Government using violence is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes, but they will prolly definitely fuck it up.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Good news.

That's the thing that baffles me about him. He goes to extraordinary lengths to find all sorts of detail for things like that. But why, for God's sake, can't he figure out that the 1911 is meant to be carried cocked and locked? He's so clueless on almost everything related to guns that it's disturbing. How long would it take to go to one of the good training classes and maybe read a book or two? Hell, just surfing ARFCOM for a few hours a day would fix most of those problems.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The basic premise of the book is about a Navy SEAL who has served during the Vietnam War and is now back in the world with his own business.

One day his pregnant wife is killed by an 18 wheeler when the trucks brake system failed.  
6 months later he picks up a hitchhiker (an attractive young woman) to give her a ride, nothing special.

She has recently made it out of a drug delivery ring and John Kelly decides that is in her past and looks to move on in life with her.  He helps her get healthy and back on track.

Problem is that the drug ring finds out she is alive and kills her and strings her up on a public fountain (like the big concrete ones in the park) to make an example of her to the other 'delivery' girls.

The police come to Kelly to find out about her and they show him the pictures of the crime scene.

Apparently you've never seen "Clear and Present Danger".

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes, but NOT if it's anything like Patriot Games the movie.  Holy mother of crap, that movie sucked!

I thought that was a pretty good adaption of the book.  Anyway, Without Remorse is one of my least favorite Clancy books.  I'd like to see Rainbow Six made before that, and it looks like I'm getting my wish

www.imdb.com/title/tt0414429/
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Exactly and all the PC crap made me sick
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Good news.

IIRC, Clancy lives on the other side of the Bay from Annapolis, so the geography is pretty much his home turf.

Hollyweird would fuck it up*

*unless Chuck Norris was the star.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Best Clancy Book ever -- by far!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I did not realize that decompression chambers could be so much fun....

It could be a good movie, but it would have to push 3+ hours long to get it done right.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
i could see russel crow as clark what the fuck were the thinking when they cast willem dafoe
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Best Clancy Book ever -- by far!

+1 on that. Clear and Present Danger a close second.

Hollywood would twist it into an unregonizable form.
It would make "Brokeback Mountain" seem downright
normal in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently you've never seen "Clear and Present Danger".

Unfortunately I have seen CAPD.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Could be

A writer should do everything they can to make a book as accurate as possible when using real geographic locations. Not doing it is just lazy IMHO.

This would be such an awesome movie. I think if they just pushed the time limit as far as possible, like Lord of the Rings... close to or just over 3 hours.

Casting? Christian Bale or Ben Bowder are some good calls. I think Wilem Dafoe was an awesome Clark, but he's way to old now. I think, in CAPD, he pulled if off well, looking like a salty, leather ex-Navy dude.  

Liev Schreiber was ok. Liked him in Sum of All Fears, but he didn't have that ex_navy SEAL look about him.

How about Scott Caan. He could pull of the SEAL look. Maybe Joaquin Phoenix. Ryan Reynolds if he could not act silly/comedic at any point.

Definitely NOT Collin Farrell!!

God forbid they let some PC faggot Hollywood director do it... Clark will end up being black or female or both.

Quoted:
yes.  I would also like to see R6 made into a movie.

Quoted:
Good news.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the thing that baffles me about him. He goes to extraordinary lengths to find all sorts of detail for things like that. But why, for God's sake, can't he figure out that the 1911 is meant to be carried cocked and locked? He's so clueless on almost everything related to guns that it's disturbing. How long would it take to go to one of the good training classes and maybe read a book or two? Hell, just surfing ARFCOM for a few hours a day would fix most of those problems.

Clancy is a gun nut I think.

Russle Crowe would make a good Clark, But Tom Berrenger would be good also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Add Cole Hauser to my list of potential Clarks. I think he'd make a pretty good Clark.

He was pretty cool in Tears of the Sun as a SEAL.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn ARFCOM is on the ball. I have (for some unknown reason) waited for years to read WR. I will finish it tonight I have 5 pages left, sitting here at the desk. Funny this topic should come around.

If Clark builds one more can in the last chapter, I'm going outside and firing up the lathe. I start laughing when he does it, I think about how that thread would go here:

TITLE: GIRL FRIEND MURDERED

<Mr Clark> (4 posts) MY GF GOT KILLED BY DURG DEALERS, I AM GOING TO PUT A ILLEGAL SUPPRESSOR ON MY 1911 THAT I HAVE CONVERTED TO A .22 AND GO KILL THEM.

<David Highline>  (4000 posts) Your going to jail idiot. You will get caught, see you on the news asshole.  

<LUMPY196> (10,000,000 posts) This is bullshit. you only have a post count of 4

<Mr Clark>  (5 posts) IM REALLY UPSET. I WON'T GET CAUGHT IM AN EX SEAL.

<Random ARFCOM Member> (40 posts)  Dupe

<Die Tryin> (3000 posts) SURE you're and Ex SEAL- I'll bust your ass on Athentiseal.com

<Mr Clark> (6 posts) You won't find my name I'm in the CIA.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#32]
so, it would be like "man on fire", but sub out the little girl for a love interest?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I  liked the book, I dont think it would be possible to cram it into a 2 hour movie though. I like the mini series idea. I could see the guy who played The Punisher playing Kelly. I think his name is Thomas Jane or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that was a pretty good adaption of the book.

Let me clarify.  The movie was generally just OK, but the ending absolutely sucked.  It was not only nothing like the book, but it was just one huge cliche!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Damn ARFCOM is on the ball. I have (for some unknown reason) waited for years to read WR. I will finish it tonight I have 5 pages left, sitting here at the desk. Funny this topic should come around.

If Clark builds one more can in the last chapter, I'm going outside and firing up the lathe. I start laughing when he does it, I think about how that thread would go here:

TITLE: GIRL FRIEND MURDERED

<Mr Clark> (4 posts) MY GF GOT KILLED BY DURG DEALERS, I AM GOING TO PUT A ILLEGAL SUPPRESSOR ON MY 1911 THAT I HAVE CONVERTED TO A .22 AND GO KILL THEM.

<David Highline>  (4000 posts) Your going to jail idiot. You will get caught, see you on the news asshole.  

<LUMPY196> (10,000,000 posts) This is bullshit. you only have a post count of 4

<Mr Clark>  (5 posts) IM REALLY UPSET. I WON'T GET CAUGHT IM AN EX SEAL.

<Random ARFCOM Member> (40 posts)  Dupe

<Die Tryin> (3000 posts) SURE you're and Ex SEAL- I'll bust your ass on Athentiseal.com

<Mr Clark> (6 posts) You won't find my name I'm in the CIA.

This would be funnier if it weren't so close to the truth.

TITLE: WHAT'S THE BEST ROUND TO TAKE OUT DRUG DEALERS??? POLL INBOUND.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
im from the northern suburbs of baltimore. towson, cockeysville etc are home turf to me. of course he got it dead on, he lives there. he is very prominent in baltimore area charities and social causes. i knew he does fund raisers for johns hopkins young republicans....at least thats where i met him circo 1993
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Clancy is a gun nut I think.

At least based on what he has written, he seems like a gun "dilettante" at best, probably like his Ryan character. He probably has a gun or two, and even likes to go shooting sometimes. But I don't think he follows gun-related news, the legal climate, the various brands, models, and calibers available, that sort of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think his books would be a lot more enjoyable if he'd spend a fraction of the time he spends researching all sorts of military things on researching guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a miniseries perhaps?

hmmm......

If you did, any gory scene the book might have could not be done verbatem, assuming that fact will affect the overall story telling.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Would rather see Red Storm Rising and Debt of Honor made before this one...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Red Storm Rising was the first major novel I read (from any author).  I remember picking it up from the checkout aisle stand at the supermarket

And as a movie it would definitely be confusing to the average never-read-the-book moviegoer
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And as a movie it would definitely be confusing to the average never-read-the-book moviegoer

How much is there to comprehend when all of the screen time is taken up by massive tank and naval battles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Without Remorse...

Wow, that was a good book, remember picking it up in middle school and going on a Tom Clancy binge. I pre-ordered Rainbow Six the book and the game, and had to pay extra to get it shipped to me overseas haha.

Reading "Without Remorse" at a early age is probably what makes me a gun owner today.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck that. Red Storm Rising.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Red Storm Rising was the first major novel I read (from any author).  I remember picking it up from the checkout aisle stand at the supermarket

Debt of Honor?  Fat chance.  If that movie is anything like the book, you'll have to wait a long time before seeing an airliner used as a weapon in a movie.  First think I thought of when I heard on Sept. 11.

ETA:  Too bad that movie wasn't released in early 2001.  That would have been some interesting spin to listen to.

"Ban Tom Clancy!"

Oh and +1 on Without Remorse.  R6 will never be faithful to the book.  The hollywood environmentalist would go nuts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, but I'd also want to see Red Storm Rising made into a movie too
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
so, it would be like "man on fire", but sub out the little girl for a love interest?

Man On Fire reminded me alot of Without Remorse.  Good flick and they pulled it off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Hell no. I can get lost and live in a good book.

I always regret seeing a movie from a good book I have read, if I have read the book first. Seeing a move and then reading the book sometimes works out, but only rarely.

Be original, write a new screenplay, don't rape my good books.  fullclip
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
This is the second go around.

Originally it was optioned and Gary Sinese was slated to play Clark, but it got shelved when the studio went bust.

Hope it makes it to the screen this time.

Didn't Clancy once fume that he would never let them make another book into a movie.

I guess $$ talks.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
by far the best of TC's
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not familiar with this book.  I stopped reading his books after I read "Clear and Present Danger".  I think that's the right title, the one about taking guys without any family for a secret mission in central America.  It's not a real recent one.  Anyways, that was really hokie.  Before that I really enjoyed his books.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top