Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:48:40 AM EDT
I saw 19 does, 2 spikes, and a 4point.  

It was the most deer I have seen in one sitting in a while.  

Do you think we have too many does?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to thin out them does in order to have a better buck to doe ratio.   In turn..   you will eventually have much larger bucks.   My   .02   ; )
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Too many does?....the Bucks don't think so
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need to thin out them does in order to have a better buck to doe ratio.   In turn..   you will eventually have much larger bucks.   My   .02   ; )

I have been seeing quite a few bucks, small 8pts mostly.  I've never seen so many does though.
Hell, it got to the point I was laughing everytime I glassed another deer and it turned out to be a doe.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Not in PA.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

question is how many did you shot?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Well it ain't a sausage party in the deer world!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

question is how many did you shot?

Didn't fire a shot this AM, when its 14degrees, I dont wanna screw with one unless its a good one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]

So I went deer hunting this AM before work

So, what would you have done if you'd have shot one?

Just wondering, as it usually takes a while to dress one out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That is not enough to tell for sure but I do not think 6 does to every buck is too many does no.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would have carried it to work and gave it to a guy who works for me who is needing some meat.

I woulda let him take off for a little while and clean it.  

I've got all the meat I need, now I'm killin for the fun of it.l
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well it ain't a sausage party in the deer world!

was a pun intended? mmmmm summer sausage...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have carried it to work and gave it to a guy who works for me who is needing some meat.

haha, awesome
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good man.  Nothing like helping out others.

And, as a deer hunting friend of mine always says, "Once you pull the trigger, all the fun is over."
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[And, as a deer hunting friend of mine always says, "Once you pull the trigger, all the fun is over."

That's a no shitter.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot the does. Shoot the spikes.

Jeez - what were you waiting for? You're really skewing the population the wrong way. Get some hunters who'd be glad to get *something* to come out and cull the does and spikes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]
At that temperature, you could basically gut and skin the thing in about 45 minutes and just hang it up in the barn.  Mess with processing later.

Quoted:
Didn't fire a shot this AM, when its 14degrees, I dont wanna screw with one unless its a good one.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Jeez - what were you waiting for? You're really skewing the population the wrong way. Get some hunters who'd be glad to get *something* to come out and cull the does and spikes.

yeah what he said, how much is it for an out of state hunting license in AR
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah what he said, how much is it for an out of state hunting license in AR

I dont mind shooting does, I just prefer to carry one of my friends with me and let them get the fun of shooting the does.   Shooting any buck with less than 3pts on one side is illegal in AR.  As for the outta state license, I dont have a clue what they cost.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I dont mind shooting does, I just prefer to carry one of my friends with me and let them get the fun of shooting the does.   Shooting any buck with less than 3pts on one side is illegal in AR.  As for the outta state license, I dont have a clue what they cost.

That's stupid. Spike bucks are genetically inferior, and laws like that protect the inferior bucks. Shooting immature bucks should be discouraged, but spikes?????  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's stupid. Spike bucks are genetically inferior, and laws like that protect the inferior bucks. Shooting immature bucks should be discouraged, but spikes?????  

Most of the spikes I see are immature.  I do occasionally see the 2.5 to 3.5yr old spike, and its a damn shame you cant cull them.  The 3pt rule though has helped the quality of deer you see here in AR.  Most of these damn rednecks around here used to shoot anything with horns, and the deer never got a chance to mature.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#21]
For a nonresident who wants to hunt deer, a 3 day license is $100, $125 for a 5 day license, or $225 for a nonresident annual all game hunting license.  Ah, that $25 resident sportsman's license is nice.  Now if I could just tag out I would be happy.  I haven't seen near that number this year, but some of the guys I know have seen 10-15 a day.  Of course, they have more time to spend out there.  Have seen some good size 10 and 12 points killed this year, but they are definitely the exception.  Too many does?  Only if they are still walking and not in the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Most of the spikes I see are immature.  I do occasionally see the 2.5 to 3.5yr old spike, and its a damn shame you cant cull them.  The 3pt rule though has helped the quality of deer you see here in AR.  Most of these damn rednecks around here used to shoot anything with horns, and the deer never got a chance to mature.

Spikes just don't develop well. ANY spike will have an inferior rack and an inferior body mass compared to a deer that originally had branched antlers. This document titled "Understanding Spike Buck Harvest" is a 26 year study on penned deer. Very interesting read....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#24]
cool
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Where I live, the town has been overrun by deer, and since you can't hunt in city limits, they just keep gorwing in numbers.

No one can plant gardens etc, because the deer eat everything.

Especially makes you a little irked when you go out all day hunting trying to find a nice buck, only to come hand empty handed to see a beautifull huge buck just sitting in your front lawn.

Yesterday I was driving home from work, and I saw a whole pack of does and fonds right on my block, counted 16 deer in the pack.

nuts!

ETA: to add a pic so you would'nt think I was bullshitting.  This is'nt my yard, took it in a neighborhood a few blocks down.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Where exactly are you? The family hunting spot is down in Bradley County.  They saw too many does this year, too, and our place has been well managed for years.  

We have a problem with the local po' folk edging in at night and culling the breeding stock with spotlights.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Ya cain't eat them horns, boys. Get them there does culled out. Leave the top of the gene-pool be!

Big 'ol bucks eat tough anyways. I'd much rather eat a spike or yearling doe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Not in PA.

not in York county.
i see more deer than squirrels or rabbits
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Where I live, the town has been overrun by deer, and since you can't hunt in city limits, they just keep gorwing in numbers.

Especially makes you a little irked when you go out all day hunting trying to find a nice buck, only to come hand empty handed to see a beautifull huge buck just sitting in your front lawn.

Yesterday I was driving home from work, and I saw a whole pack of does and fonds right on my block, counted 16 deer in the pack.

nuts!

ETA: to add a pic so you would'nt think I was bullshitting.  This is'nt my yard, took it in a neighborhood a few blocks down.

binary-freedom.org/PentecostOutdoors/gallery/deer/DSCN1346.jpg

Bow+Arrow=Dead deer, no noise.      
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

nuts!

binary-freedom.org/PentecostOutdoors/gallery/deer/DSCN1346.jpg

Looks like you need a supressor for your rifle or a bow. lol

ETA damn beat by 10 minutes, I should start reading the second page before I post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top