Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 11:56:35 AM EDT
A buddy of mine is close to buying a Colt shorty in excellent condition. It's marked Colt AR-15 and has the SP refix. It has a colt 16" barrel and collapsable stock. Appears to be original. He's getting 11 mags, a case and 1100 rounds of 5.56mm for $1500.00. I say it's a good deal. Is it? Should an original Colt shorty be marked CAR-15? It appears to be a late 70's serial #.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
11 people read this and not one opinion? This is AR15.com isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
11 people read this and not one opinion? This is AR15.com isn't it?
View Quote

Opinions ain't gonna cut it. I figure the ammo is worth a little over $100. Mags abouy $175 if they are GI. That leaves the rifle at $1225. Look it up in the exchange. See what similar items have sold for. I think it is a fair deal, but it ain't my money is it. Beasides this post hasn't been up more than 30 minutes. What the hell did you expect. Buy a blue book if you want instant gratification. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a late seventies AR15 carbine, the lower should have the prancing pony and Colt AR15 markings.

And yes it's a good deal considering he's buying a complete preban. Especially with all the magazines.

One thing he might want to check, that's the twistrate of the barrel. Which I suspect is 1/12, nothing to keep him of the deal though. But if he wants to shoot the heavier 5.56 mm bullets 62 to 70 grain he will want to rebarrel it with a 1/9 twist barrel. There are several sources for this like JTsurplus and Bushmaster. JT sells Colt barrels all the time.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite of all AR15's, imagine that.[:D][:D][:D]
Going by the current market prices I would say that is a good price with the accessories & if all original. IIRC they originally came with aluminum collapsible stocks, not plastic.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
An original AR15 Sporter with telescopic stock SP1 is worth about $1800 in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, now thats more like it. I only sought out opinions because I'm not a Colt man. I have been around enough to have a fair idea what they are worth but it's better coming from people who know. That's why were here right?
Looks like it has the original 2 position aluminum stock with a black coating on it. The barrel is the 1/12 twist and I agree that with the availability of the 55gr ammo he should'nt change a thing. Thanks for all the input. I have a blue book but I won't pay blue book prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top