Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 11:01:50 AM EDT
If you were using a good Nosler type bullet, using a 20" barrel, what do you think the maximum distance would be where you'd still do  enough 'damage' to a target?   I'm talking in a SHTF scenerio and you had no long distance rig to knock those blue helmets off with!  [:D]

Or, if you're going to have to do such shooting, a person had better make sure they have their bolt action with them?  You wouldn't want your enemy getting in too close!

Reason I ask is that I recently read "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Colaps" and at one point a guy with a long range rifle was picking off the enemy, but started getting concerned when they started getting within 450 yrds.  

(disclaimer:  I have no intentions other than educational purposes.)  
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do damage from as far away as you can hit.

With 5.56 ball, you get an impressive wound channel inside 100 yards, but past about 200 yards the wound channel is narrow. However, it actually penetrates better at 200 than 100. As long as the bullet penetrates sufficiently, you can kill with it.

Certainly, with something like 75 gr Hornady HPBTs, 600 yards and more is possible. On a calm day, you could hit at 1,000 and kill the target, assuming that [i]you[/i] are capable of such shooting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
To be honest, I'm finding the .223 to be a ballistic pissant at much beyond 100 yards with respect to "terminal ballistic performance", at least as rated by square footage of groundhog carnage.  Accurate, yes, but when I would hit a groundhog with a 110grain VMAX out a .270 or a 55 Nosler at 3500 fps out of a 22-250, I usually would see a rather explosive result.  Not so with the .223, and I'm using 55 Ballistic Tips at 3200 fps. They punch nice holes, but expansion ain't great.  Nonetheless, I don't think I'd want to be on the receiving end of one of them; they may not bounce off my blue helmet..

[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, DonS!  That's food for thought!  Anyone else want to chime in?

Would I want to get one of those scopes with the bullet drop compensator built in then for the real long range stuff?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait till the bad guys are within 200 yds, then get 'em.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
thebeekeeper1, [:O]

You have hit the nail in my coffin when it comes to long range and practice.  I HAVE no place to practice.  

The reason why I ask is that I'm contemplating turning my heavy 20" free floated barrel upper into a CQB type upper.  At this point, I'd be just as successful using the force if I had to shoot at anything past 200 yrds.   There is NO place that I know of in my area that I could go to.  So, having the upper I have seem like a colosal waste of weight to have to carry.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top