Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 10:07:09 AM EDT
Anyhow,I saw an episode of "COPS" a while back,and they pulled these two guys over,and searched their car.Apparently these guys were wanted,and a young Sherrif finds a rifle in the back.He says something like "oh man" or something to that effect.Anyhow,he puts the weapon on the roof of the car.
The cops are dumbfounded,staring and talking about the evil thing.
It's a 10/22 rifle.It's got a folding stock,and for some reason,the guy who had it had COVERED the body of it with those little,shiny star stickers,you know,the ones you would get in school for being a good kid.
The young dop says
"man,look at that thing,it's got a bananna clip and folding stock and everything!!"
then the older Sherrif says right before the fadaway to commercial
"well,a good bust here.We got two badguys,and we got another automatic weapon off these streets."

What the f@ck!??
if a 10/22 is a "automatic assualt weapon"
then my AR-15 would have been considered a "weapon of mass destruction,with sniper capability" by those two barneys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
my AR-15 would have been considered a "weapon of mass destruction,with sniper capability"
View Quote

Sir,

I believe that to be an accurate description.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
what a bunch of idiots. When do sheriffs consider 10/22 an automatic weapon!!
[sex] <-- what those two sheriffs have been doin to each other.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, it's a TV "real-life" show.  Real life is boring, so they need to spice it up a bit.

10/22 as a fully automatic assault weapon.....

Mike
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yessiree bob, we got us here another one of them dangerous type weapons (everybody hold up their Bic pens), now you know what we are looking for this week, go getem.

Next week automatic mechanical pencils that can hold more than ten sticks of lead.
Ice
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Support higher education, send a cop to the 4th grade.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh-oh....

Now all the cops strung out on caffeine are gonna come in  here calling you a cop hater.

Its a JOKE, people.....

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't let those two come to my house....They will pass out for that will be too much for them to handle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh-oh....

Now all the cops strung out on caffeine are gonna come in  here calling you a cop hater.

Its a JOKE, people.....[rolleyes]

View Quote

"Yes, officer I have my drivers license and registration...Can you hold my beer?"

"I was gonna be a cop too but I decided to finish high school instead."

"63?.....I was goin WAY faster than that."

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you ever watched these type of shows and noticed how many of the officers do not know how to eject the magazines and clear a chamber?

I understand that you may be a bit amped up, but I can't count the number of times that I have seen them fumbling around with the confiscated weapons. And talk about dangerous handling! Muzzle control goes out the window.

This is not meant as a slam. I am sure there are many LEOs out there who know what to do. But the ones who don't know, should know enough to put the weapon down or give it to another officer who does know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, also saw a COPS show that nabbed a guy for having "teflon coated cop killer bullets".  They were 9mm Nyclads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
(Edited to clarify WHICH episode, since someone brought up the "nyclad"/"cop-killer bullets" one.)

I remember the "gang members with an SKS" episode -- it's one of my favorites.  I think I've seen it re-run three or four times now.

It was in Las Vegas, the cops had pulled over a couple of guys who were Mexican gang members, the gun was an SKS (although the cop called it an "AK"), and there had been a drive-by shooting within the past hour that they might have been involved in (read: done the shooting).  When the cops pulled it out of the car and checked it, it had a cartridge in the chamber, ready to fire.

I don't recall the "automatic weapon" comment at the end, although it's possible I missed it with my lousy hearing;  AFAIK, the only mistake the cop made was in calling it an "AK" when it was clearly a tricked-out SKS.

The gun was ridiculous -- anyone who puts shiny little foil stars all over a folding-stock SKS DESERVES to be jailed, I don't care what they're doing.  NOBODY needs that kind of stupidity!

Oh, and it most definitely was NOT a "10/22" -- you need to go back and watch the episode again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I can understand an SKS being an assault weapon.
Now that we have identified what the gun really was. How can someone mistake a SKS for a 10/22??
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I saw the cop killer bullet show.  Those Barneys didn't know a handgun from a hand grenade.  It is sad to know that guys like that are charged with enforcing the law.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Reconxl-

It's possible to mistake them.
First, the Ruger:
[img]http://sksman.com/images/rug_drag.jpg[/img]
Second, the SKS:
[img]http://sksman.com/images/atisksdragy.jpg[/img]

Not identical, but dark and on tv.  You never know
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep your shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!

It is always the dumbasses with their shirts off that get arrested.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I've noticed the extremely poor gun handling on 'Cops' also. And most really don't have a clue at what type of firearm they're looking at.

My favorite series was with the L.A. PD. There was a very cute gal, single mother of two boys.

She was/is gorgeous. Her Beretta also jammed on the range. Giggling, she says something about having to clean it.

Christ! How filthy do you have to get a Beretta before it jams? What a dits. She is cute, though. [sex]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember her JohnnyGT, see was/is a very attractive female. When I saw the jam and how long it took her to clear it, I thought your gonna get yourself or somebody else killed/severly injured if that's the way you handle those type of situations. Maybe she was just nervous in front of the camera.

BMB    
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw that same episode and that copchick was pretty hot.

My thoughts exactly when she giggled about having to clean her weapon.

Good to see that some of our LEOs are so intelligent and well prepared.

Yeah......clean this baby.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can understand an SKS being an assault weapon.
Now that we have identified what the gun really was. How can someone mistake a SKS for a 10/22??
View Quote
You are kidding, right?  An SKS, an AR15, a semitauto AK, nor any of the similar semiauto rifles are 'assault rifles', but especially an SKS.  In stock trim, it has no pistol grip or flash hider and SKS's were never built as select fire rifles.  To be an 'assault rifle', it must be select fire.

All you Cali guys correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the idiot politicians out there start with the SKS on their list of 'ban/register/confiscate' weapons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
The SKS with sporter stock was deamed illegal in Cali.  Don't no if it was the first thought.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't watch any of the crappy "COPS" shows.  I am convinced that they find the stupidest damn cops to film the episodes with anyway.

And beekeeper; Amen, brother.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#23]
" illegal fully automatic assault weapon "

I do not recognize this term or the laws surrounding it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#24]
also,
I saw an episode with a crazy dude outside an apartment,waving around a TEC-9.
They finally convinced him to give up,and they rush the guy.
Before the fadout to commercial,the cop says "this guy was armed with this TEC-9,it looks like it's fully-automatic"
yeah right.IN that case,most of us here are guilty of owning dozens of weapons which seem to be fully-automatic.At least on TV
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
If the sporter stock is the one pictured above - the SKS with sporter stock has not been declared illegal in CA.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Just watched a show about Jersey cops on Disc. Channel and the cops found hollow points in a guys revolver.  Kept calling them "cop killer" bullets and calling them "teflon coated and would go right through a bullet proof vest."  Love those .38 hollow points that can go through a bullet proof vest. Good fodder for the cop haters though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to watch that show when there was nothing else on tv saturday night. There was a show where the cops searched a drunk guy's house and found a loaded 870. Then a cop gets all excited and yells at the guy "Why do you need OO buckshot? That is what we the police use. Are you going to hunt people with this?" In another show in a different city the cops raid a house and go apeshit because they find a 5 round box of OO buckshot (same reaction as above) and a Street Sweeper shotgun that, as officer gun expert put it, "holds 50 rounds of 12 guage".

Anyone else see that LAPD show on Discovery Channel they go on a call to a house where a veteran died in his sleep. They start making up statements like "Look an NRA sticker, he must be one of those terrorist survivalist types." Then for a reason that is NEVER explained they start going through and confiscating all of his guns. One of the cops finds a Springfield 03a3 and says "I want this one in my collection".
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If the sporter stock is the one pictured above - the SKS with sporter stock has not been declared illegal in CA.
View Quote

That is not the sporter stock.  The sporter has a detachable mag(20rnds??), bayonet lug, and a different style stock then 80% of all other [b]stock[/b] SKS's.  All sporter stock SKS's cam from Chicom and those in the picure have aftermarket stocks with fixed 10 rnd mag, hence they are 100% legal.

The problem started with the 1989 California Assult weapons ban bill.  It originaly included AR's and AK's by name only. After the bill was passed they desided to add the Chicom SKS Sporter model onto the list,however, the registration deadline had already passed!!  So the DO.J. extended the registration deline to accomadate the new additions.  Commen scense right??  Wrong, later some state court overturned the D.O.J.'s decission in extending the registration period for Chicom SKS Sporter Models.

Now remember, this bill identified "Assult Weapons" by name only!!  And now the D.O.J. had written records of these now illegal guns that the owners of these guns sent in to them.  No grandfather clause because the state courts overruled that.

In short there was a voluntary confiscation programs that included [b]lots[/b] of adds other ways of getting the word out.  I don't know the % of guns turned in but would be surprised if it was over 50%.

Either way, I have learned a lesson from it all.
No registration, no paper work====no knowledge.

sgtar15

PS Anyone feel free to correct me if I got any of the details wrong[:)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh hi officer, hey don't I know you? Oh yah! your the guy in that picture on my girlfriends nightstand.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep, also saw a COPS show that nabbed a guy for having "teflon coated cop killer bullets".  They were 9mm Nyclads.
View Quote

Honesty time. This happened to me about two weeks ago. We stopped a guy involved in one of those "road rage" type incidents, and his pistol was loaded with Nyclads.

First off, I did not trust the hapless supervisor who showed up to clear the weapon, so I did. This weird looking round pops out of the chamber, and the supervisor exclaims "He has armor-piercing ammunition! This might even be Teflon coated!"

I quickly explained that it most likely was not AP, and that true AP pistol ammo is rare, and that "Teflon-coated" ammo is almost non-existent, although I did not not know what it was either. About 60% of my coworkers are heavy-duty shooters, and they did not know what it was, either.I saw the Federal headstamp and looked it up on-line.

I did see some possible AP ammo at work recently. Some guy found a bunch of 30-06 discarded in his parking lot and turned it in to the PD, and many of the rounds were black-tipped, meaning they were either AP, or they got "McVeighed." I leaning towards fake, because the black tips did not look like they were done in a factory.

Most cops are shooters and know their guns. Unfortunately, there are some who aren't, and they make they rest of us look bad. It always seems like "Cops" and shows like it always get the non-shooters.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#32]
This brings up a good debate - which is worse:

Having a populace who a large number thinks "only the police need guns"?

or

Having police who (overall) are not nearly as skilled or knowledgeable in firearms as their armed civilian counterparts?

Perhaps if there was a policeman on every neighborhood block, who was a dictionary of firearms knowledge, and a good shot with a rifle to boot, maybe even *I* would jump on the "I don't need a gun ...I'll just call the police" bandwagon!  Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), this is not and never will be the case.

[blue]New Jew~[/blue]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is an unscientific breakdown of PDs, from my own personal experience:

20% experts/gun nuts: These guys know there weapons, tactics and can shoot like heck. They usually have pretty impressive gun collections, and spearhead training at their departments. They are also the guys who bug their chains of command asking for newer, better weapons and ammo.

40% casual shooters/hunters: These folks are moderately proficient shooters. They hunt, maybe a lot, but do not own a large amount of weapons. Usually have one or two "politically incorrect" weapons. Pro-RKBA.

35% Indifferent: Their sidearms and other issued weapons are tools, just like their radios and cars. They show up and qualify. Some of them may actually be pretty good shots. They could care less about technical aspects of firearms and may even dislike them. Some are anti, some are pro.

5% Anti: Hate weapons and might support banning them if given the choice (although not always). Don't like carrying. Don't carry if they can get away with it. Usually qualify with assistance from God.

These are vague generalities, though and don't always hold true. I consider myself in the first category, but I don't own very many guns because my wife won't let me. I have a coworker who knows a lot about weapons, has a huge politically incorrect arsenal, and he can't shoot for shit. I also know one person (who is the only true anti in our department) who hates guns but is a damned good shot.

Compare that to most gun owners. How many total incompetents do you usually shoot next to at the range? I think that the breakdown of knowledgeable and proficient individuals in the LE community is actually better than the breakdown in the general gun-owning public. But that is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That is not the sporter stock.  The sporter has a detachable mag(20rnds??), bayonet lug, and a different style stock then 80% of all other [b]stock[/b] SKS's.  All sporter stock SKS's cam from Chicom and those in the picure have aftermarket stocks with fixed 10 rnd mag, hence they are 100% legal.

The problem started with the 1989 California Assult weapons ban bill.  It originaly included AR's and AK's by name only. After the bill was passed they desided to add the Chicom SKS Sporter model onto the list,however, the registration deadline had already passed!!  So the DO.J. extended the registration deline to accomadate the new additions.  Commen scense right??  Wrong, later some state court overturned the D.O.J.'s decission in extending the registration period for Chicom SKS Sporter Models.
View Quote
Maybe the part about the sporter being added later, deadline extended, court overturns, confiscation, may all be behind the stories I have heard about SKS confiscations.  How in the hell can they add something and not extend the deadline to cover it.  Totally illogical and unfair.

If the SKS pictured is legal, then there is a good 7.62X39 substitute for the AK and the Mini-14 would be a substitute for an AR.  Granted, the Mini is not as good as an AR, but if I lived in Kali, I would rather have it with it's detachable mags than the bastardized AR's people have been making for Kali.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A testament to the collective mentality of MOST ALL street cops.
No bashing intended, Just a fact.

So prove me wrong.
View Quote

sad, but true. my friends that are cops do little else but bitch about the people they have to work with. can't wait to retire.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Well not all cops are that bad.  ALMOST.  First bad cop story.  Driving to Cali from Nevada I was stopped by a chippy (you know AAA with a badge).  He goes off on me about going 3 over the limit. them goes apeshit when He sees I have a pile of magazines ARs of course on the floor board of the truck.  (It was before 2000) then tells me if he had the time he would search me and take me to jail for the Illegal guns that he knew I had.  Look I was an MP years ago and that was the funniest bit of policing that I have ever seen.  GOOD cop.  Back in 93 my friends and I were going shooting (back home in Texas) Driving fast as young guys do we get pulled over.  I have my folding stock win 1300 between the buckets of the fron seats.  He asked if we have any weapons in teh car.  I reply of course.  He asked if they were loaded.  "of course some of the are wouldn't do me any good if they weren't.  He laughs and asks what do we have.  My buddy chimes in 3 PRE BAN AKSs 2 ARs AND  A SWEET HK 91!!!!! Teh cops face goes blank.  At that point I though we were going to get shot.  He was devoid of all emotion.  Then he asks WOW how did you find a 91?  Where are you going shooting??  Is that in williamson county? basically he was begging to come shoot with us.  He asks to see the guns.  I know he just wanted to finger fuck them so we sit there on the side of IH-35 pulling guns out of my Tercel all the motorist are slowing down to a crawl watching this deputy play with them.  2 more sherrifs show up now it looks like a huge bust.  At no time did the deputies get short with me they were just wnating to play with the guns.  It was a sight.  After inspecting the guns for "legality" he just hands me my 91 and say go and have some fun.  Well it was funny my buddy Daniel was worried that they were going to shoot us and take our guns.  but I found it all funny he never even asked me for my DL.  The power of an AW. problem was everythime this guy was on duty and I drove by him he pulled me over just to shoot the shit with me.  replayed the scene but with his gun once.  He had just gotten a delta hbar (rember the one with teh cheekpiece and that cheesey rubber scope) Pulls it out of the truck of the cruiser in the parking lot of a gas station.  Too funny was a nice guy.  He ended up going over to Kuwait and working for ITT guess he got sick of boring central texas.  

cheers Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top