Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
I could hardly wait for the opening of "Quigley Down Under", back in 1990.  I had seen the previews and it looked like a great movie.  I was not disappointed.

But, while watching the movie, I fell in love with his rifle.  I just had to have one.

At the end of the movie, as the other folks were filing out of the theater, I was watching the credits to find what I needed to know.  Sure enough, it finally said, "Shiloh Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company, Big Timber, Montana, For the Creation of Quigley's Rifle".

I left the theater determined to get one of those rifles.

I discovered that there was a 2+ year waiting period for a rifle.  I later found that there had been only one exception to getting in line …… Quigley's rifle.  Oh well, good things come to those that wait.  I placed my order.

A little over 2 years later, I got a letter that said mine was coming up for production and did I want to make any changes to my order.  I did not.

I wanted an 1874 Long Range Express in .45-70, with extra fancy wood, and an extra long barrel at 34 inches.  I wanted a shotgun style butt stock, with vernier long range sights and changeable front aperture sights.  It would have a double set trigger.  I wanted a spirit level front sight with windage adjustments.

And, I wanted it now.

I got it a few months later and it was well worth the wait.  It was beautiful.

Here it is:

It weighs about 13 pounds, a little heavy for competition, but I wasn't going to use it in competition.  And the extra weight made it more pleasant to shoot.

The action is simple, but stout.  It is a lever action, dropping block.

When that block comes up behind the base of the cartridge, it shuts like a bank vault.

Here's the rear sights.  It is a Long Range Vernier Aperture Sight.

Here's the front sight with spirit level.  This helps the shooter make sure that you don't "cant" the rifle, which will effect impact at long ranges.

Here are the various inserts for the front sight.  They all seem to work pretty well.  I usually use a target aperture, as it makes sighting on targets easier.

Quigley's rifle was in .45-110, but I felt a .45-70 would be more practical.  Friends that had .45-110 rifles said that after a few shots, it wasn't much fun to shoot.  Even the factory discouraged the .45-110 round for competition, as they said long strings were difficult with the recoil.

Here's the ammo.

I cast my own bullets, either a 510 grain gas checked round nose (Lyman #457406), or a 485 grain flat nose (Lyman #457102).  Both shoot very well.  If a person wanted maximum accuracy, (believe it or not), they would load with black powder.  Black powder has a very small velocity variation between rounds (Standard Deviation).  

I give up a little by loading smokeless powder, but I also don't have the mess of black powder to clean up.  My load with the 510 grain RN is 41.0 grains of AA-2495 with Magnum primers.

The double set triggers make shooting really nice.  You pull the rear trigger to "Set" the front trigger.  Then the front trigger is so light that you had better not even touch it until you are ready to fire.  The set screw between the triggers adjusts the weight.

Here I am shooting off the bench.

Here's a neat picture of the smoke coming out of the action when I remove the empty brass.

It is capable of better accuracy than I am.  Being a rifle with big, heavy bullets at moderate velocity, the bullet flight path is a big arc.  But, it is easy to adjust the sights to hit a target a long way off.  

And, when that 510 grain bullet gets there, it speaks with authority.

I may never need to thin out a buffalo herd, but if the need arises, I'm ready.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got moist.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Be careful with that thing. If it gets over the berm it could reach out and touch an Okie.

ETAsk: any chance Wal Mart might pick those up?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow.  Talk about patience! 2 YEARS?!?!?! Beautiful rifle!

--Josh
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful rifle. A true classic.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Mind sharing with us, just how big a hole that thing puts in a wallet? I've been wanting to get one, too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
See?  It's the damn gun lobby (and their board members starring in movies) that makes us buy guns.

Anyone know who makes a gun that shoots the heat sensing bullets?

Good call on going with the .45-70.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Is envy still a sin?

If so, could we make an exception just this once???

Beautiful rifle!  A real piece of art.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!

How much did that send you back?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
VERY nice.  I am super green with jealousy now.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful. I know where some buffalo are, just about 15 minutes down the road from here...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mind sharing with us, just how big a hole that thing puts in a wallet? I've been wanting to get one, too.

go to www.shilohsharps.com and check starting prices..

i suspect between 3 and 4k for that particular rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Your latest posts are taking us through some history!  Thanks for sharing this with us!

HH
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]

I just got moist.

+1
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The close-up shot of that case hardening alone shows that we are dealing with a superbly made rifle.

That's quite an addition to any collection.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

At the time, I believe I paid about $1,400.00.

They have gone up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#16]
OP,

Quigley was my inspiration, too.  Although I didn't pony up and wait for a Shiloh, I love my Pedersoli Heavy Target model.  It's a very well put together rifle, and is a hoot to shoot!  

If you're coming to the ARFCOM Tiger Valley Christmas Shoot, I'm going to bring it.  I have about 60 rounds loaded...

Here's a few pics:

Heilman Soule sight:

It's a very well made sight, cost about half of what MVA sights cost.  It's calibrated in MOA with a 36" sight radius.  My 34" barrel gives me almost exactly that!

And the hammer side of the receiver:
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have gone up.

Mercy.

You always seem to find good deals. 1400 for what is obviously a hand made and hand finished rifle is darn good.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You know you just probably cost me roughly $3,000.00
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful rifle.

Thanks for sharing, O_P.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
When you grip the rifle does your thumb go in front of or behind the rear sight. It looks like the rear sight is attached right where your would grap the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

hahaha... Dude, get one, they're VERY fun to shoot.  I learned to cast my own bullets and load black powder cartridges... it's a great payoff to shoot a 130+ year old style rifle and ammunition... as good or better than 'hunters' with their scoped rifles.  

At 100 yards, I get 1.25moa pretty easily
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Someday....
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OP,

Quigley was my inspiration, too.  Although I didn't pony up and wait for a Shiloh, I love my Pedersoli Heavy Target model.  It's a very well put together rifle, and is a hoot to shoot!  

If you're coming to the ARFCOM Tiger Valley Christmas Shoot, I'm going to bring it.  I have about 60 rounds loaded...

Here's a few pics:

Heilman Soule sight:

www.frayadjacent.com/pics/Firearms/Sharps/vernier.jpg
It's a very well made sight, cost about half of what MVA sights cost.  It's calibrated in MOA with a 36" sight radius.  My 34" barrel gives me almost exactly that!

And the hammer side of the receiver:
www.frayadjacent.com/pics/Firearms/Sharps/rcvrright.jpg

A very nice rifle.  Pedersoli rifles are very well made.

Nice pics.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Your latest posts are taking us through some history!  Thanks for sharing this with us!

HH

Thanks.

I'm just full of .............history.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When you grip the rifle does your thumb go in front of or behind the rear sight. It looks like the rear sight is attached right where your would grap the pistol grip?

They are probably designed for the thumb to go behind the rear sight.  That's the way I do it, as you can see in the photo.

But some folks find that in recoil, it hits their thumb painfully.

So, you can just lay your thumb alongside the sight, and shoot it that way if you prefer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#26]
A guy a the range had a Browning BPCR in .40-60 with a sight set up very much like yours. He let me fire two rounds out of it at a used target out 100 yards. I could make out a small black dot was about all so I used it as an aim point. Couldn't really tell from the bench, but through his spotting scope, it looked as though the two rounds were touching. Sure as hell, we walk up to the target and they were. Still have the target. Someday I will invest in something like that myself. it's a whole different competition, mostly with yourself, developing loads, always trying to out do your last target etc.-
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I just got moist.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Nice rifle Roy!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey, Ole' Painless!

Mine is the Shiloh with Hartford Collar and Pewter Fore tip.  Same sights as yours and I went with the straight stock instead of the pistol-grip stock.

Mine has the 30" heavy octagonal barrel, extra fancy wood, brass screw escutcheons, and fire-blued screws.  Also in .45-70.

My wait was 4 1/2 years.  Sent a $50 deposit with the rifle.  Had I paid 50% up front it would have frozen the price.  As it was, between order and delivery it increased in price considerably.  

I need to get mine out and take some pics of it - this is the only one I've got, my wife was giving away a book and wanted an interesting background....

Nice write up!  I'll get mine out come warmer weather and get some pics!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#32]
That's absolutely beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I love the .45-70 round.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have gone up.

Mercy.

You always seem to find good deals. 1400 for what is obviously a hand made and hand finished rifle is darn good.

Don't you wish we could go back and pick up all those good deals that we thought were too expensive?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#35]

And here I thought I was cool because I got the repro Quigley bullet from the NRA.

Awesome, awesome rifle - best of luck with it!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And here I thought I was cool because I got the repro Quigley bullet from the NRA.

Awesome, awesome rifle - best of luck with it!

I actually met Tom Selleck once.

We were in Las Vegas at the SHOT Show a few years ago, and went to the Las Vegas Gun Show one day.  I was going down the aisle and looked up, and there was Tom.  I shook his hand and told him how much I enjoyed his movies.  He said, "Thanks a lot."

He was a big man, tall, extremely handsome, even more so in person than on the screen.  I bet he gets tired of greeting people like me that bother him all the time, but he was very gracious.

He has stood tall for our gun rights and is a big supporter of the NRA.  Good man.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I was bitten my the Quigley rifle bug as well.

Mine is also a Pedersoli. Tangent and globe front sighted with 34" heavy barrel & double set triggers.  My front trigger is set to just over 1/2 pound.  Mine is accurate with lead bullets from 325gr to 550gr. traveling between 1300 & 1400fps.   I typically shoot 405gr. lead.  I have a steel buffalo target that measures 24" tall by 36" wide & I can hit it pretty consistantly at 400yds.

While that great big fat 45-70 cartridge is a bit intimidating in appearance everyone who has shot my rifle has come away with a big smile.  That brought about the nickname, "Big Smile".

I showed up at a black rifle shoot with it this past summer.  I got a couple funny looks initially until I demonstrated just how well it shoots at short distances like 100yds.

Water filled plastic jugs are a hoot to shoot with fat bullets.

eta a pic

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I was bitten my the Quigley rifle bug as well.

Mine is also a Pedersoli. Tangent and globe front sighted with 34" heavy barrel & double set triggers.  My front trigger is set to just over 1/2 pound.  Mine is accurate with lead bullets from 325gr to 550gr. traveling between 1300 & 1400fps.   I typically shoot 405gr. lead.  I have a steel buffalo target that measures 24" tall by 36" wide & I can hit it pretty consistantly at 400yds.

While that great big fat 45-70 cartridge is a bit intimidating in appearance everyone who has shot my rifle has come away with a big smile.  That brought about the nickname, "Big Smile".

I showed up at a black rifle shoot with it this past summer.  I got a couple funny looks initially until I demonstrated just how well it shoots at short distances like 100yds.

Water filled plastic jugs are a hoot to shoot with fat bullets.

I know what you mean.

Whenever I go to the range and drag out the Sharps, a crowd always gathers around the rifle.  I often offer folks a chance to shoot it and they are sometimes hesitant, expecting it to kick like a mule.

The recoil is not bad, more of a push than a kick.

Big smiles are always the result.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep, the Boomstick always gets me attention at the range.   The huge boom and the large cloud of smoke... and at a little longer ranges, the THWACK of 530 grains of cast lead hitting a paper target.

I've shown a few people the cartridges I've loaded, and they think it must kick like a mule.  Usually I'm wearing a teeshirt, and the rifle has a steel buttplate.  I tell 'em it's more like a shove, and it's not unpleasant.  

They also get that really curious confused look on their faces when I use my blow tube.  I explain what it is and what it does, and then they get the lightbulb above their heads.  Shooting black powder is a little more involved than modern cartridges.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

BIG FAT +1!

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#41]
ahhh... The original sniper rilfe

ETA I have an old trapdoor that I love to shoot, like you said more of a push than a kick.

What are the groupings with that thing like?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#42]
That is one beautiful rifle my friend.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BIG FAT +1!

Many thanks.

I like it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ahhh... The original sniper rilfe

ETA I have an old trapdoor that I love to shoot, like you said more of a push than a kick.

What are the groupings with that thing like?

I can usually shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

But that limitation is strictly these 57 year old eyes.  The rifle is more accurate than that.

But I need a scope to do better.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Fabulous rifle, I too have promised myself to get one someday. The Cabelas in Fort Worth sells a Pedersoli Quigley model for about $1300-1400. As much as I'd love a Shiloh, the Pedersoli is still way out of my budget.

Quigley is one of my all time favorite movies, I was infatuated with the big bore guns of the old west long before that movie came out. I've owned several .45-70s, although the only one I still have is a 1973 vintage Marlin 1895.

What part of Texas?  I'm near Fort Worth.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't usually drool over older style rifles but that is one hell of a sales pitch!

Lucky for me, I'm much to poor to go out and do something rash... like buy one .

Once again, I salute you and your fine taste.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That is one beautiful rifle my friend.

Thanks, Lumpy.

You need to come down and shoot it with me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I like the little level on the front sight
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#49]
When I can afford to treat myself that's first on the list.  I visit the Shiloh site to drool and lurk on their forums every couple weeks.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Fabulous rifle, I too have promised myself to get one someday. The Cabelas in Fort Worth sells a Pedersoli Quigley model for about $1300-1400. As much as I'd love a Shiloh, the Pedersoli is still way out of my budget.

Quigley is one of my all time favorite movies, I was infatuated with the big bore guns of the old west long before that movie came out. I've owned several .45-70s, although the only one I still have is a 1973 vintage Marlin 1895.

What part of Texas?  I'm near Fort Worth.

I live in Nederland, near the Louisiana border and on the Gulf Coast.

I visited the Fort Worth Cabelas a few weeks ago and they have lots and lots of fine stuff.  Nice store.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top