Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 3:49:36 AM EDT
I have noticed a disturbing trend in the media. It started when an LEO (this is not an LEO bash) said on a local call in show about someone who had his money seized for drug suspicions but wasn't charged "well he can prove his innocence". I have heard this statement or something like it many times in the media from various sources on various individuals in various cases. What ever happened to Innocent until PROVEN guilty??
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What ever happened to Innocent until PROVEN guilty??
View Quote

Gee, I don't know. We must have lost that concept when we threw out the rest of the Constitution.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody came up with the idea to use the "But its for the children" excuse, we have unfortunately been going downhill from there. It seems like your guilty until proven innocent with most charges now.

More effective police work??? or more effective traps??? Or more effective laws???

Maybe a combination of the 3 and a society willing to put up with the rights infringements to feel a little safer.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"The American people must be willing to give up a degree of personal privacy in exchange for safety and security." -Louis Freeh, Director of the FBI, 1993

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What, do you mean you still belive in old doctrines like innocent until proven guilty, the BoR's, the Constitution, and such?  Wake up my friend, those flawed ideals don't work.  We now have the goberment to take care of us.

But yes you are right, most people (citizens, LEO's, media talking heads, etc...) think it is alright for the goberment to require citizens to prove their innocence.  Sucks don't it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
By saying something like that, you must have something to hide.  Authorities will be right over to search for that which is making you nervous.  

That was sarcastic if you didn't get it, but you hit the nail on the head.  I understand the profiling does work, but LEOs need to be really careful in doing it.  A profile is a useful characteristic to look for when looking for a potential criminal, but fitting that profile by itself isn't a crime.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top