Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2005 4:51:38 PM EDT
I'm tired of taking crap back to Home Depot and going through the hassle so this 12v drill, flashlight, vacuum cleaner and SECOND charger are going in the trash.  I had to order the charger off the internet because naturally HD doesn't stock replacement shit!  At one time HD tested crap before they sold it but I guess that went down the tubes as their stock price has gone up.  Bastids!

You know, if a company makes a decent product then starts selling to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. it won't be worth a crap for long.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Never buy Ryobi battery powered tools.
Complete fucking junk for trailer trash.

Spend the money and get DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee or Ridgid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I LOVE ryobi's 18v kits. Mines going strong and it survived me working setup at Wal-Mart not to mention lots of house chores
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had a bit of trouble with my 18V gear.  None at all.

Course it's used for homeowner kind of stuff.  I didn't buy it expecting "contractor grade" equipment.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You can ad Bosch to the list, too.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
This piece of crap didn't last a year.  I don't think Makita or DeWalt are what they used to be.  But then, what is?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
What I have used of Ryobi, it was very good and worked like it was supposed to.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My Ryobi 18v drill let all of its smoke out after about 8 months. I replaced it with a Hitachi 18v drill and love it better than any Dewalts we use at work. It'll cost a bit more than the Ryobi, but it's worth every penny of it!

Kris
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
After spending more money than I care to think about on power tools I've settled on DeWalt and Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Agreed!
I bought a 7.2 volt drill at HD last year and Home Depot won't even sell the replacement batteries! And HD is the only one who sells Ryobi so I can only buy a replacement off E-bay!

Home Depot & Ryobi lost a customer, should have gone to Wal-Mart.

F Sears too!
The Ryobi was replacing a Sears drill that Sears stopped supporting after two years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My Ryobi 18v has lasted 5 years, built an 32 x 40 barn(siding and beams all screwed together) two chicken coops (8' X 24'), numerous chores, replaced the roof on the barn last year after a hurricane blew it off, and I just finished today remodeling one of my closets.

Ryobi drills are great.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
So somebody got one that worked.  They have to make one every once in a while that accidentally works!!

What pisses me off is HD never has the parts to back up what they sell.  For example, I bought a Black & Decker scum buster, the most underrated and handy little gadget you'll ever own btw, and when I went back to get another scrubber thingy they don't sell 'em.  You either buy a whole nother tool or order for B&D off the internet.  It's cheaper just to buy a whole new unit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm tired of taking crap back to Home Depot and going through the hassle so this 12v drill, flashlight, vacuum cleaner and SECOND charger are going in the trash.  I had to order the charger off the internet because naturally HD doesn't stock replacement shit!  At one time HD tested crap before they sold it but I guess that went down the tubes as their stock price has gone up.  Bastids!

You know, if a company makes a decent product then starts selling to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. it won't be worth a crap for long.  

+ eleventy billion-thousand-teen

I have to prop my charger up *just* right or the battery won't charge.  And when it's done "charging" it's good for about 5 min. of work.    I POOP ON YOU RYOBI!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
So somebody got one that didn't work. Every once in awhile they have to make one that doesn't work!

Lowe's.  Much better store.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
This wasn't my first Ryobi, just my last.  A 5 minute charge!!!!  My God that's a Ryobi record.  Mine was good for 45 seconds tops.  But, it would only keep it's charge for 3 minutes once it was unplugged from the POS charger!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds kinda like the Sears 19.2 crap I have.  I think I am on my fourth one in three years.  No more for me when this one craps out again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I haven't had a bit of trouble with my 18V gear.  None at all.

Course it's used for homeowner kind of stuff.  I didn't buy it expecting "contractor grade" equipment.

Mine has worked well too...mixed concrete, hung dry wall and backerboard, home projects gallor...going on three years now...

For those not looking to spend $200.00 plus on the other mentioned brands...this is a good alt.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had nothing but success from my Ryobi tools.  The Vacuum gets used everyday.  As far as I know, it's the best cordless handheld vac on the market.  The drill sees hard use also.  I dropped it off of a ladder 3 times and it is still going strong.  The new 18+ batteries have about twice the strength/duration.

There are of course better drills, but dollar for dollar, Ryobi is tops.

ETA- 12v?  I didn't even know they still sold 12v.  Are you sure your parts aren't 5 years old?

Whatever brand you get- Get 18 volts.

12volts is for Airsoft Poseur wannabee's  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a buddy who uses older Ryobi cordless tools heavily in his work and he's happy with them.  I've used his tools, helping him on projects, and I have to say that I'll stick with my array of DeWalts.  No Ryobi for me, ever.

My observation is that over time, Ryobi designs get cheesier, but DeWalt gets better with each generation.  I have LOTS of yellow power tools and not one of them is the least bit junky.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had all of the above. I have killed Dewalts and Makitas- The 'Wakie is the only brand I have never killed. DeWalt pissed me off because they quit making the batteries and charger for one drill I had - It was only 3 years old at the time- thats BULLSHIT for customer support. DeWalt lost my business right there. Makita is fine, I have worn them out as well but the accessories are $$$$ and I can buy a whole new drill for what their batteries cost.  

I have the 18v Ryobi kit going on 4 years now + the jigsaw kit (cordless). I have built more project than I can think of... (20 deer stands, trailers, decks, home additions.. I have had one battey quit on me total, that was this year. Batteries are $20 for two, about twice as much as a stupid 6v lantern battery. I think that if I used my tools to make my living then I might choose the Milwalkee tools first but for a DIYer the Ryobi brand is fine. I have been so impressed with Ryobi I have purchased their weedeater/edger- 3 years old, starts on the first pull. I just bought the 4 in belt sander w the 6" disc sander built in. I replaced a Craftsman sander of the same type. I bout the Ryobi based on the good luck I have had with everything else. The sander is impressive, better than what I had for sure.

It also goes with out saying that using the tools correctly will prolong their life. I can tear up my 2500 pound Bridgeport mill if I try.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My Ryobi 18v has lasted 5 years, built an 32 x 40 barn(siding and beams all screwed together) two chicken coops (8' X 24'), numerous chores, replaced the roof on the barn last year after a hurricane blew it off, and I just finished today remodeling one of my closets.

Ryobi drills are great.

Not the same company it was 5 years ago....
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can ad Bosch to the list, too.

Bosch is owned/made by Skill.
Still a great battery powered tool maker though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Agreed!
I bought a 7.2 volt drill at HD last year and Home Depot won't even sell the replacement batteries! And HD is the only one who sells Ryobi so I can only buy a replacement off E-bay!

F Sears too!
The Ryobi was replacing a Sears drill that Sears stopped supporting after two years.

7.2 was old crap when you bought it. You should have bought 12V or 14V.
Pretty soon 12V stuff won't be supported either.
Instead of bitching about Home Depot and the crappy 7.2 volt drill you bought you should have bought a DeWalt. I have a 7 year old 9.6 volt Dewalt drill and I can still get batteries for it (but I bought a new 12 volt Dewalt drill instead).
There's a reason why Dewalt, Makita, Millwalkee and the others cost a little bit more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What pisses me off is HD never has the parts to back up what they sell.  For example, I bought a Black & Decker scum buster, the most underrated and handy little gadget you'll ever own btw, and when I went back to get another scrubber thingy they don't sell 'em.  You either buy a whole nother tool or order for B&D off the internet.  It's cheaper just to buy a whole new unit.

Home Depot and Lowes are NOT hardware stores, they are home improvement stores. They don't carry all the stuff an Ace Hardware store will, or a Menards or even what a local hardware store does.
Most of the brain dead people will walk into a Home Depot with some sort of a one-of-a-kind bolt for a 49 Chevy piston return spring and get pissed off when Home Depot or Lowes doesn't carry them. They get even madder when they are told to go to the Chevy dealer or the local auto parts store to get that car part.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Just picked up a Ryobi Bt3100 tablesaw at HD today for 150 after rebates.
nice rig for what I need
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ETA- 12v?  I didn't even know they still sold 12v.  Are you sure your parts aren't 5 years old?
Whatever brand you get- Get 18 volts.
12volts is for Airsoft Poseur wannabee's  

HA!! 18 volts is for airsoft posers.

Milwaukee 28 volt lithium-ion tools!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just picked up a Ryobi Bt3100 tablesay at HD today for 150 after rebates.
nice rig for what I need

Ryobi table saws and miter saws are a different beast.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#27]
My Ryobi 18v kit runs like a Swiss watch, I've never had a lick of trouble and I've used it through 2 major home renovations. Maybe me, my dad, my brother and my brother in-law have all been lucky?

YMMV,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a screaming deal on the belt driven model. normally 299, on sale for 199, 50 rebate, and a 10% off coupon. Now I need to sell my craftsman saw..
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I fried one ryobi drill, but considering what it went through, I do not blame it for finally dying.  

I know they are cheap, but since I am not doing any production/manufacture work, they are fine for most.

18v is all I will buy though.

P.S.  Most of Sears powertools is made by Ryobi.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like the 18v is a different animal.  But I'm in a pissy argumentative mood so I still say f**k 'em!  

And I don't go into a home improvement store looking for Chevy parts but I do expect HD to carry the replacement brushes for what they sell.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I LOVE ryobi's 18v kits. Mines going strong and it survived me working setup at Wal-Mart not to mention lots of house chores

My 18v Ryobi has made it though boarding up ior Hurricane Frances, Jeanne, Katrina and Wilma. 3 houses each storm. No problems.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Agreed!

F Sears too!

7.2 was old crap when you bought it. You should have bought 12V or 14V.
Pretty soon 12V stuff won't be supported either.
Instead of bitching about Home Depot and the crappy 7.2 volt drill you bought you should have bought a DeWalt. I have a 7 year old 9.6 volt Dewalt drill and I can still get batteries for it (but I bought a new 12 volt Dewalt drill instead).
There's a reason why Dewalt, Makita, Millwalkee and the others cost a little bit more.

Read my post- Dewalt told me to take a flying leap on the 12v drill batteries I had + the bearings were packing it in as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I've had a Ryobi 18v kit for about 6 months... no complaints so far!

Also, my Ryobi miter saw was sitting on the garage floor during Katrina and got submerged.  I threw it in the garbage pile out front.  A few days later, I was at my neighbor's house across the street, and he was cutting 2x4s with it in his driveway (it's not the first time he's pulled things out of my trash and put them to good use... he always asks if I want it back).

--Mike
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

Read my post- Dewalt told me to take a flying leap on the 12v drill batteries I had + the bearings were packing it in as well.

I've had not problem replacing obsolete 12V drill batteries at the San Antonio DeWalt service center.

Also, I was given a DeWalt 12" compound miter saw by a friend who works at a millwork factory.  The motor burned out and the shop foreman instructed him to trash it and get a new one from Home Depot because they didn't have production time to spare in getting it serviced.  Knowing me, he dumped it in my driveway.  Hoping to get a working saw for the (probably inflated) price of a motor, I took it to the service center.  Picked it up a few days later, fully repaired with a new warranty.  They wouldn't take payment, even though they had the whole story.

Same service center, I brought in an angle grinder with a sheared gear lock pin (it was mistreated by someone else when I had my back turned).  Same deal -- got it back in 100% condition and they wouldn't take payment even though the warranty was out.

Either I've been very lucky (possible) or you got a jerk one time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So somebody got one that worked.  They have to make one every once in a while that accidentally works!!

Osh and Lowe's don't do that either... there isn't enough turn over of that type of product to justify carrying it.

-d
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Either I've been very lucky (possible) or you got a jerk one time.

I've always had good customer service from DeWalt... 80% of my tools are DeWalt because of this. Only issue I've had with any of them have been batteries.. and those are expected to die out.

-d
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.dragosupply.com/files/3/categories/1/1/img_D46011035.jpg

28 volts, you lightweight.  Be a real man and step up to 110 volts.  No bitching about batteries either.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.dragosupply.com/files/3/categories/1/1/img_D46011035.jpg

28 volts, you lightweight.  Be a real man and step up to 110 volts.  No bitching about batteries either.
woodbutcher.net/images/normstools/pc-2620.jpg

FUCKER!!! I was gonna post just about the same thing!!!

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#39]
OK Now DONT LAUGH!!!

Being that I need a good cordless drill for my work I have been buying Makitas for years... about one a year... they start to break down and what not... i was getting tired of it so I go and buy this "ValuePack" of a drill from Black and Decker of all things. Paid 79.00 for this whole kit.

Its been 2+ years and holding up like who-shit-a-chunk!! I cannot believe the torture, use and BS I put this thing through and holds up BETTER than a Makita?? And I went through 7 Makitas... SEVEN!!

I havent even replaced a bulb in flashlight!

Yes... all this reliability from a Black and Decker Pecker Wrecker! Un believable!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#40]
My Ryobi 18 volt stuff works great after two years. The angle head flashlight is the best thing I ever bought for hands free electrical work in dark basements or closets. The sawsall works great and so does the circular saw. The vacuum is weak unless you are just picking up a bit of sawdust but the other tools work fine for me.
Dewalt's portable drills are too damed long and front heavy and using them all day wears on your wrists. Dewalts casing(not the carrying case) is shit too, they crack easily in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#41]
If you want a GREAT hands-free gadget get one of those led type flashlights that strap to your forehead.  Where  ever you look, it looks.  If you ever find it when you need it you'll wonder how you lived without it!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I have had the Ryobi stuff for 4 years without any real issues (1 badd batt out of 6) &  HD here carries all sorts of stuff including chargers for 1 Or 2 batts for home or auto use. I have used my tools as tools no sheltered life  infact I just got another drill a 3 speed hammer unit
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Their weedwhackers are shit....not the shit.. They are shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top