Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2001 7:57:10 PM EDT
I was just wondering. The news said that all most all of the internet would get siezed by that stupid virus, but I'm connecting faster than ever on my 56k modem. I haven't heard any complaints about it yet. Anyone infected??

MIKIE
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to the Microsoft website, and it said that it infected alot of Windows 2000 systems as well. But for some reason, it said it didn't affect Windows Me or 98, but I thought Me was 2000. Oh well, just a question of curiosity.

MIKIE
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The code red bug only affects servers. It has no impact on home pc's unless you are using it as some kind of server. It causes slowdowns because if infects a server it uses up most of that servers bandwidth trying to infect more servers. It also has modes in which it is recycling and attacking. From what I understand it is not attacking right now so there will be no effect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went to the Microsoft website, and it said that it infected alot of Windows 2000 systems as well. But for some reason, it said it didn't affect Windows Me or 98, but I thought Me was 2000. Oh well, just a question of curiosity.

MIKIE
View Quote

Windows 2000 is the latest version of Windows NT.  ME is Millennium Edition.  ME is the latest in the series of Windows 95/98/98SE/98ME.  They are not the same.  Windows 2000 is mainly a networking operating system where as Windows ME is mainly a home user's operating system.

The next step will combine Windows 2000 and Windows ME into 1 operating system called Windows XP.  From what I've been hearing from beta testers and the tech media, Windows XP ain’t all that great.  Microsoft has stated that you will have to upgrade it every year or it will shut down.  Of course, the upgrade isn't free.  Windows XP isn't scheduled for release until October.  The whole mandatory upgrade thing isn't going over too well.  I hope it isn't part of the final version or I wont be getting it.

About the Code Red Worm.  To avoid being affected by it, Windows NT/2000 users needed to apply a patch designed to fix a hole in security which the worm exploits.  Looks like the word got around and most network managers applied the patch.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was just wondering. The news said that all most all of the internet would get siezed by that stupid virus, but I'm connecting faster than ever on my 56k modem. I haven't heard any complaints about it yet. Anyone infected??

MIKIE
View Quote

Mike, the media hyped it up, code red couldnt have taken down the net or anything like that, its target was too specific (microsofts web server that has not been patched in the last month or so) also Code red version 1 had a bug where it couldnt spread very far. It tried to spread again today but so far not very many hosts have been affected so it all looks good

Dan
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it was a Communist plot by Microsoft to take over the world. Damn I'm glad I use Linux!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My home machine, which is on a cable modem, has been scanned about 20 times by code red infected machines in the last 12 hours. I installed a copy of Apache last night around 9, and this morning the logs are full of probes:

193.215.34.54 - - [02/Aug/2001:06:35:15 -0700] "GET /default.ida?NNNNNN...%u909..."

As long as you're not running Microsoft's IIS web server you're OK.

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
But it will use your home computer and address to send it's self to other people that is what it is doing to me right now.

I have found 5 files that had it and deleted it and I'm going to see if that works. So if anyone gets something to download from [email protected] DO NOT DOWNLOAD it.

It got in to my system some how I don't know if it was from about 3 days getting e-mails of the virus (that I never opened.)I has about 100 to 200 e-mails from the same name sent to me every day for three days now it's stopped and I have the virus.

This is a little for warning for you guy's I don't want my name on a e-mail that has a virus and for you to download it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top