Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2001 12:01:49 PM EDT
ive been looking at putting in applications to various police forces in and around my home town.  i havent gotten to the polygraph section yet, seems it will take a while.  on the applications it asks for prior drug use.  what kind of drugs can get a person disqualified?  is it type or amount?  i have a clean criminal history but i was a little reckless in high school and the begining of college.  of course, the last time was a good 5 yrs ago.  will this prevent me from joining a police force?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
In the state of Ohio where I'm working, the most drug use one could have in their background was Experimental Marijuana useage.  Note: EXPERIMENTAL... ie not daily over a space of years. Pretty much any other drugs got you kicked to the curb.  A joint or two in the past wont kill you but much more than that enters a grey area.

Clean Criminal history?  Good, as long as you only have misdomenanors and no violence/drugs/weapons or Domestic Violence charges/ convictions you should be clear.  

Last time 5 years ago? that helps. stick to that story. [}:D]

This nation (and your damn hippy state) is desperate for sworn officers, they've loosened the restrictions of old.

Keep your head up on the testing it takes forever, and you'll probably get turned down 15+ times before you get a job.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Leif,
Honesty is the best policy, let them know from the begining.  It was in the past, and you can't change that now, just yourself.  If it isn't good enough forget them.
Usually they are more interested in it for A. your honest answer  B. you medical health and well being- if you have a flash back, they want to be aware of it, or if it affects your eyesight or stamina  C. so they don't put you in where you can be accessible to it- not necessarily you, just people that want access to good stuff (Cops got the best dope-sound familiar)
Take care and let us know how it turns out,
Ice

Ice
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Most departments are desparate to hire right now so you have that going for you. Departments are also aware that police aren't angels and few super straight laced people apply. Look what the job is.
On the drug thing just put "tried pot in high school" and leave it at that. Most of the people doing the hiring now smoked in their past too.
If you always wanted to be a cop all your life I would say that is the biggest disqualifier. The best cops drift into the job because of tight job markets, etc.
Just remember if you get into a shooting no matter how justified and then piss hot, you are fucked!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
MY brother applied for a cop job in a major city in CA with an extensive drug history (started shooting heroin at 12) and was accepted. Big pluses in his favor where Clean for 8-9 yrs. 4yrs active duty Marines, 4 Reserve with rank of SGT. All promotions in the Military where Meritorious. I think they looked at like He was bad went thru rehab a got his sh*t straight so he was OK. I think the biggest thing in his favor was he was completely honest and candid about what he had done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leif,
Honesty is the best policy, let them know from the begining.  It was in the past, and you can't change that now, just yourself.  If it isn't good enough forget them.
Usually they are more interested in it for A. your honest answer  B. you medical health and well being- if you have a flash back, they want to be aware of it, or if it affects your eyesight or stamina  C. so they don't put you in where you can be accessible to it- not necessarily you, just people that want access to good stuff (Cops got the best dope-sound familiar)
Take care and let us know how it turns out,
Ice

Ice
View Quote

EXCELLENT advice, Ice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks SARguy,
Just trying to help out a member.
Ice
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, the husband of a coworker of mine was a cop.  She told me that during his interview (Seattle area), the department asked him about any past drug abuse, and when he said he'd NEVER used ANY illegal drugs, the examiner reassured him that he didn't have to lie about it! [:D]

He (and she) really never had taken any, but it took him a while to convince the examiner of it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd remember your use and how you will answer questions on it. From how often, to what was used and why. If your honest you will not be inconsistant with your answers. Just get your "story" straight and stick to it. I also would'nt dwell on the subject or anything. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top