Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2001 9:09:12 AM EDT
I don't remember seeing this posted anywhere but I read it in monday's paper.

It seems some Hooter's restaurants got together and had a beer sales contest and it was announced the winner would win a new Toyota.
The name of the top seller of each restaurant would be put into a hat and a winner would be picked at random.
Everything worked out as planned and the winner was picked then blindfolded and led out to the parking lot. When the blindfold was removed she found out she actually won a "toy Yoda" doll (a Stars Wars action figure).
As you can imagine she was less than ammused.

One manager even went so far as to tell the employees during the contest that he wasn't sure what type of vehicle it was (car, pickup or SUV) but that the winner would be responsible for taxes on the vehicle.

Anybody else see this?
Anyone know where it happened?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Found the story:
[url]http://www.sptimes.com:80/News/072801/State/Dream_car_is_a__toy_Y.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not one for frivilous lawsuits, but that IS f*cked up. I'd be pissed. Heres the story.

[img]http://www.sptimes.com/News/072801/photos/state-yoda.jpg[/img]

PANAMA CITY, Fla. -- Oh, what a feeling. Toy Yoda!

A former Hooters waitress has sued the restaurant where she worked, saying she was promised a new Toyota for winning a beer sales contest.

Instead she won a new toy Yoda -- the little green Jedi master from Star Wars.

Jodee Berry, 26, then a waitress at the Hooters in Panama City Beach, won a contest to see who could sell the most beer in April.

Manager Jared Blair told waitresses that the contest was a regional promotion, according to the lawsuit, and that the top 10 waitresses from each restaurant would be entered in a drawing. The person whose name was drawn would win a "new Toyota automobile," the lawsuit says Blair told them.

In early May, Berry said, Blair told her she had won.

"I couldn't believe that out of all the girls who were entered, I was the winner," Berry said.

She was blindfolded and led to the restaurant parking lot. When the blindfold was removed, Berry wasn't looking at a new car, but a Yoda doll.

Berry said she looked beyond the $40 toy, hoping to see the car driving around the corner. Blair, she said, was inside the restaurant laughing. But she wasn't.

"A corporation can't lead their employees on like that," Berry said. "It's not good business ethics. They can't do that to people."

Berry quit the restaurant a week later.

She sued Gulf Coast Wings, owners of the restaurant, alleging breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation. She is seeking as compensation, the cost of a new Toyota -- the car.

Her lawyer, Stephen West of Pensacola, said he was also looking at false advertising statutes.

West said one other Hooters waitress verified Berry's story.

Berry said Blair knowingly misled them through the course of the contest by telling the employees he didn't know what kind of Toyota it would be -- whether a car, truck or van. The suit contends that he also told them the winner would be responsible for the tax on the new automobile.

West said those statements would go a long way toward defeating any defense argument that Berry misunderstood Blair.

The restaurant regularly had contests where management would come through with the promised prize, said Berry, who worked at Hooters for about a year before quitting.

Stuart Houston, a spokesman for the company, said it had not been served with the lawsuit yet and he would not comment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Fake!

Take a look at the picture yourself, that girl could never have worked at hooters, for gods sake she is nearly concave!

I smell a publicity stunt, the least they could have done was get a girl with some hooters to pose for the picture...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Whoa, I think someone might be getting a new Toyota pickup anyway. It's apparent that her manager was setting this up as some hugh joke, albeit not a very funny one.

Now if there had been a history of such boob prizes (oooh, that is a baaaad pun) being handed out, and this Hooterette was aware of such history of boob prizes (sorry[:D]), then she [u]may[/u] be SOL!

The questions may simply become what did she do differently, what more did she do, what extra work did she do, in the attempting to win the prize. If not much, then she'll get nothing.

Eric The(Yoda-look-alike)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
First and formost, I'd do her.

That's a great joke with the toy Yoda, but they should have followed up with the car.  They made lots O' money off the employees pushing beer, and patrons helping out [beer].  
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I think someone need to learn how to take a joke. If there is nothing in writing about the winner getting a Toyota truck or car then its all fine. There is an a old saying When you assumed you make an ass out of you and me and she assumed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it should come down to asking everyone involved with trying to win, the girls hustling the beer, what they expected the prize to be. If as a group they were led to believe it was an auto then an auto it should be.
I guess its possible this was a simple prank that got out of hand.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#8]
What a shitty joke to play on your employees.  I guess Hooter's management hasn't heard of that woman scorned proverb.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell i'd take them to court if they pulled some sh!t like that on me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hell i'd take them to court if they pulled some sh!t like that on me.
View Quote

I agree.  That's just a lame ass joke.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Now the jokes on us.  I came here looking for pictures of Hooters Chicks... and what do I see?   Two squat greenish tore-up gnomes.  Dammit Bevis, not funnny where's the chicks?

Maybe she did sell alot of beer...

"Hey mister, can I get you another beer?"
"Yep, only take another four or five before you start looking good to me."
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
This is just as funny as the dude who sued Hooters for not hiring him as a waiter.  Discrimination or some sort of crap.

I think they were doing him a favor by not hiring him.  He'd probably get his face kicked in by the boys for wearing scantly attire.

Personally, I'd puke and [strike]request[/strike] [b]demand[/b] a new server or leave.

Also, I think the former Hooterette has a strong case if in writing it stated "Toyota".

Ya, she looks do-able but kind of psychotic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like Gulf Coast Wings WILL pay for this one.

The woman's lawyer might receive a portion of the decision if the case is won.  The notoriety and advertising of just taking the case is probably worth it, without the cut of the winnings.

Gulf Coast Wings will probably have to pay their lawyer(s).

not doable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Geez. This sounds like a joke we did to death in grade school. "Hey, I got a new toyyoda - wanna see?" And then you'd show them your yoda figure.

I can see if they did it as a joke, only saying 'toyyoda' and doing it as something casual - like "whoever gets the most tips today wins a toyyoda".

But when you set it as an incentive to a month long contests, answer questions about paying taxes on it, specifically mentioning it's an automobile -then, yes, you're an idiot of a boss and you should be sued.

Just think if your employer set a monthly goal with a bonus of "one thousand dollars" and when you meet it he claims he actually said "one thousand dollhairs".
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is just as funny as the dude who sued Hooters for not hiring him as a waiter.  Discrimination or some sort of crap.

I think they were doing him a favor by not hiring him.  He'd probably get his face kicked in by the boys for wearing scantly attire.

Personally, I'd puke and [strike]request[/strike] [b]demand[/b] a new server or leave.

Also, I think the former Hooterette has a strong case if in writing it stated "Toyota".

Ya, she looks do-able but kind of psychotic.
View Quote

Who's this guy using my account?  Do-able to who?

That broad looks like she belongs on meetaninmate.com or jailbabes.com.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Skank.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd do her in a heartbeat!  Remember, she's posing and purposely looking super pissed for the photos...

Hell, she looks as if she's more than prepared for the ultimate "Grudge Fuck", by taking this to court!

FWIW: I hope she wins and the judge orders them to give her a Land Cruiser...  It is a "Toyota".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top