Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2005 6:06:26 PM EDT
www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051122.gthotwater1122/BNStory/Technology

Pulsar announces water heater using microwaves

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 Posted at 2:57 PM EST

Globe and Mail Update

Pulsar Advanced Technologies has announced will next week launch its lead product, the Vulcanus MK4, a water heater USING microwave technology to heat water on demand. This technology with super-heating capabilities will drastically cut energy costs and totally eliminate the need to store hot water. The Vulcanus MK4 is making its world premier at Construct Canada in Toronto between Nov. 30 and Dec. 2.

The tankless system uses microwave technology to heat water on demand, saving energy and providing an endless supply of hot water for residential and commercial usage. The technology is designed to eliminate the deadly Legionella Pneumophila, since water will not stagnate, as it does with conventional hot water heaters.

Powered by electricity and unaffected by the volatile gas markets, the Vulcanus MK4 can heat water from 35 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in seconds and can source multiple applications at once: showers, dishwasher, sink usages and more. The Vulcanus MK4 is the size of a stereo speaker with a sleek modern look, making it ideal for condos and apartments, while powerful enough to serve the needs of any size family.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoa.   That is too cool.

But no water tank?  Dang, those things make great targets when they finally die.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Kick ass.  I wonder how cost effective it is compared to existing heaters?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, It makes sense, as water molecules are what microwaves react with, when you heat stuff in a microwave oven.

It will probably work quite well.

Hope it's not big $$$$$

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohh NooO!!!! It will be Nuclear water!!! Oh the humanity!!

Seriously, though. How much do they cost? I may want one for the house I'm building.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Just how much juice is this thing going to draw. Heats "in Seconds"?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just how much juice is this thing going to draw. Heats "in Seconds"?

Well, the typical water heater uses 4500 watts per element and usually has 2 for a total use when demand is high of 9000 watts. I'ts going to have to be a big microwave to keep up, thats for sure. BTW that 220V.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone should put this stuff in a jacuzzi.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well, the typical water heater uses 4500 watts per element and usually has 2 for a total use when demand is high of 9000 watts. I'ts going to have to be a big microwave to keep up, thats for sure. BTW that 220V.

My electric water heater has two 4500 watt elements, but they can't both be on at the same time.  If the top element is heating, the bottom element will always be off.  It's 220 volts.

My question is this:  Why hasn't this been done before now?  What technological barrier did they overcome to bring this to market?  Surely, if it's as simple as slapping a magnetron tube to a tank or a tankless system, surely someone would have done it by now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051122.gthotwater1122/BNStory/Technology

Pulsar announces water heater using microwaves

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 Posted at 2:57 PM EST

Globe and Mail Update

Pulsar Advanced Technologies has announced will next week launch its lead product, the Vulcanus MK4, a water heater USING microwave technology to heat water on demand. This technology with super-heating capabilities will drastically cut energy costs and totally eliminate the need to store hot water. The Vulcanus MK4 is making its world premier at Construct Canada in Toronto between Nov. 30 and Dec. 2.

The tankless system uses microwave technology to heat water on demand, saving energy and providing an endless supply of hot water for residential and commercial usage. The technology is designed to eliminate the deadly Legionella Pneumophila, since water will not stagnate, as it does with conventional hot water heaters.

Powered by electricity and unaffected by the volatile gas markets, the Vulcanus MK4 can heat water from 35 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in seconds and can source multiple applications at once: showers, dishwasher, sink usages and more. The Vulcanus MK4 is the size of a stereo speaker with a sleek modern look, making it ideal for condos and apartments, while powerful enough to serve the needs of any size family.

Someone refresh my memory, where does electricty come from?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Powered by electricity and unaffected by the volatile gas markets
Just what do they think is used to generate a lot of electricity in this country?

I hope it's more efficient that a gas point-of-use water heater.  I looked into getting one for my house, but the cost to run a 1" gas line to it was as much as the heater itself.  It takes a LOT of energy to heat water fast.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Powered by electricity and unaffected by the volatile gas markets,

Someone refresh my memory, where does electricty come from?

Almost all US electricity comes from coal, nuclear, or hydroelectric.  Gas/oil makes less than 10% of US electricity.  Probably less than 5%.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a NG on demand hot water heater in my house. currently the only NG applances are the stove, the oven, and the hot water. typical gas bills were 40 a month, they dropped to 20 per month, literaly over night.
btw the the water heater is a bosch and it cost 500 bucks, best 500 i have spent. also a pay off of 2 years on a high effecency applance is very good. normally it is figured on 5 years
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: