Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 4:14:42 PM EDT
Hello all. Just wanted to share a crazy experience ,that happened this evening, with you. A friend and myself were at the local indoor firing range. We were shooting 2 Glocks;a model 21 .45, a model 20 10mm and a HK Mark 23. In the .45s I was shooting factory Sellier & Bellot ball ammo bought at the range that day.

I had just fired a 10 round mag and reloaded it. My friend then chambered a round. The weapon chambered a round correctly as it always had. When he pulled the trigger the gun exploded in his hand.

The top of the barrel at the breech end blew completely off and the slide is slightly bulged out. It cracked the frame and broke severeal of the plastic pieces. The brass was completely blown into. My only thought was that the ammo caused this.

Luckily my friend was not seriously injured in this mishap. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all a figment of your biased imagination. No Glock EVER Kb!'d with factory ammo, no matter what the FBI says. All of you anti Glock people are just making this stuff up to be mean, there's no design flaw at all, it must be operator error, or reloads, or somebody else's mistake, but the problem with Glock Kb's are never, never, never the fault of the gun.[rolleyes]

(A very sarcastic)Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Who cares about the guy! how is the gun?!?!?!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhmmm, he already told us that-

"The top of the barrel at the breech end blew completely off and the slide is slightly bulged out. It cracked the frame and broke severeal of the plastic pieces. The brass was completely blown into. "

How is the gun? Sub-par for a firearm, just like before it Kb'd.

I'll bet it got so jealous of the HK, it exploded in envy...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The ammunition is the culprit IMO. No barrel obstruction?  Did this ammo have lead bullets?
Have you pulled any other bullets to look for a double powder charge? S&B may be the cause.

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
No, no, I mean is he going to replace the parts and have it fixed or is he traumatized and wants to sell?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this happen in a 1911 using factory S&B ammo. Blew the top out of the breach end. I have heard that their brass is more brittle then most other.
But as a side note I have shot thousands of round of S&B, both thru 1911's and my glocks. I know that the rifling in the glock barrels do not like lead at all, and if you have shot lead bullets thru it, you have to get real serious about getting it all out. I don't know if this might be a contributing factor in your case.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replys. I have not had a chance to contact Glock or S & B yet but when I here from them I will post results. Should have some good pictures of this this weekend.

As a side note. No lead has ever been fired through the gun, only factory ball and hollow points. I too think this is an ammo problem but I've been hearing about a lot of blown up Glocks lately. Luckily I was shooting a 10 rounder instead of one of the hicaps, as it trashed the mag as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's cold, man.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The ammunition is the culprit IMO. No barrel obstruction?  Did this ammo have lead bullets?
Have you pulled any other bullets to look for a double powder charge? S&B may be the cause.

View Quote
Don't blame the ammo, or a barrel obstruction.  Lots of the revered Glocks going kaboom lately.  I know, sacreligious, but true.  The Glock gods will be mad at me now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
There definitely was not a barrel obstruction and no lead bullets have ever been fired through this weapon. There is no bulge or other deformity in the barrel. With the exception of the top half of the breech missing and a hole blown through the bottom, the barrel looks perfect. I haven't gotten to talk to Glock but I am curious as to what their response will be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
With S&B .223 brass I've had split case necks with new rounds.  2 out of a case of 1,000 split their necks for no apparent reason.  

I doubt it is the ammo though.  My weapons (.45, 9mm, .223) have thousand of S&B rounds through them without a hiccup, just the occasional piece of trashed brass.

S&B steel cased 7.62x39mm Russian is the best cheap stuff out there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Just curious, but has anyone else that this has happened to received any help from Glock or did they just act like it wasn't their problem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible that the round that exploded was a 10mm and not a .45?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]
So, apparently all the Glocks that were are reading about going kaboom are all the ammo's fault, particularly S&B.  If you try to say that perhaps the Glock is at fault and maybe overrated, you are an infidel.  Oh, please forgive me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I am beginning to think it has something to do with the Glock's in 45 ACP.  

A buddy of mine had his blow-up shooting factory
Win or Rem ammo (I dont remember which).  The barrel didn't blow like that but the frame cracked, the slide came off and the mag blew out.  He sent it back to Glock and they sent him a new one.

Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We were shooting 2 Glocks;a model 21 .45, a model 20 10mm and a HK Mark 23.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your time.
View Quote

You had two identical frame size Glocks that take the same dimensional sized mags at the range. Are you certain that a 10mm round did not end up in the Glock 21? My guess is that a 10mm round was fired in the .45. Was the 10mm and .45 ammo sitting in close proximity to each gun? My personal rule has always been to NEVER shoot two similar guns that can chamber the ammo from both in at least one of them. Accidents happen. The 10mm round will chamber in the .45, and the extractor will hold the undersized round tight enough to allow the firing pin to strike the primer. That would definitely cause the type of damage you described. Were you able to locate the case head from the fired round? And did you check to see if the headstamp was still legible?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry mmf but your guess in totally incorrect. I definitely had the correct ammo loaded and have the brass pieces with the .45 stamped on the case to prove it. I always pay extremely close attention to these things as you cannot afford to be careless. Safety is always my main concern. I love shooting but it isn't worth getting killed or seriously injured over making a dumb mistake.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
It was the gun, We had a Glock 23 do that on the range. The case has virtually no support at the rear of the barrel. You get a weak spot and it blows out. This is the problem with reloads.
If you examine the fired brass it will often
bulge at the web. That is one of the main problems with reloads, only one type of  does a full length resize, a roller die. The others leave a fraction that id in the shell holder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never shot reloads through this gun,only factory fmj & hp ammo,no lead either.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Reminds me of a funny story...could have been tragic if different Cal.'s were used, but while at the range with a friend who's in the military, of high officer rank, we were shooting 9mm and I had my 1911's, he had along some 45 cal ammo because he wanted to try my 45's...after several rotations my friend asked to shoot my 1911, I toss him a mag and say sure load it. Well, as he steps up to the firing line I advise, load and make ready, he racks the slide and I'm looking down range, but hear this faint "tink" on the ground....Hmmmm...(love the peltor electronic ears)conversation goes like this...hey what was that, I say rack the slide again...that is when I see it...a 9mm slowly drops out of the end of the barrel....holy shit what did you load that with...ah...(pulling mag and looking very sheepishly) ....9mmm....silence...loud laughter...that is when he learned to, if you are shooting different cal.'s to close and put away the other cal., and then load the different mags. Needless to say it will always be my inside joke with this guy, who by the way is as great a patriot as I am, and probably one of the best people I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top