Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2005 6:18:29 PM EDT

Look at the painting behind the display. That's hanging on my bedroom wall as we speak. It's an actual painting, not a poster or something, and obviously the one in the image is a blown up copy.

Does anybody know anything about the painting, such as who made it (signature is illegible) and what it might be worth? Or if there a lot of copies of that painting?

I got it as a gift from my uncle when he moved to Georgia. It was part of a trio of paintings he had hanging in his garage that he seemed to think were pretty valuable. One was the interior view of the TIE pilot firing on the Millenium Falcon with the Death Star in the background, one was Darth Vader's fighter and two TIE's coming in behind Luke's X-Wing in the Death Star trench, and the other (my favorite) was of a Star Destroyer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea...  But is the suit real?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the painting.......but you look smooth in that jumpsuit!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
if you don't get an answer, post here:
http://boards.theforce.net/
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you photograph the painting head on without the objects in the foreground?

Also can you get a picture of the signature.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahem. The image is of a TIE pilot display in the Smithsonian. The image behind it is a blown up copy of my painting. I thought I had made that clear enough.

I would like a TIE pilot costume though.

Also, no pictures of the painting because it's at home and I'm at college. I'll take some photos when I go home for Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
<uber star wars geek mode> That would be the back side of the gun turret chair in the Mil. Falcon, that either Han Solo or Luke is sitting in while shooting at the tie fighters in Star Wars: ANH.</uber star wars geek mode>

What do I win? I'm not a big enough geek to actually register at some star wars forum to post my answer. Just a big enough geek to post it here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<uber star wars geek mode> That would be the back side of the gun turret chair that either Han Solo or Luke is sitting in while shooting at the tie fighters in Star Wars: ANH.</uber star wars geek mode>

What do I win? I'm not a big enough geek to actually register at some star wars forum to post my answer. Just a big enough geek to post it here.

Congratulations, your post has absolutely no relevancy whatsoever. You win a free kick in the nuts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No idea...  But is the suit real?

motown-steve dressed up for a date?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the gun in the forgeound looks like a "turbo laser" from EP 4.  The thing in the background is probably the completed Death Star from EP 4.

Only problem I have is the turbo lasers were on the Death Star firing at the Rebel fighters.

Hey wait, you called me a nerd.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's one of Ralph McQarrie's pre-production paintings done in 1974.

It is looking over Vader's shoulder as he shoots at the Millenium Falcon.

If it in fact the original then you can NAME YOUR PRICE and the Star Wars crowd will be thrusting fistfulls of money at you.

In other words it is VERY valuable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ahem. The image is of a TIE pilot display in the Smithsonian. The image behind it is a blown up copy of my painting. I thought I had made that clear enough.

Also, no pictures of the painting because it's at home and I'm at college. I'll take some photos when I go home for Thanksgiving.

Big +1. I would love to have that TIE pilot costume.

I am a bigtime SW nerd but I don't know who made that painting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool, gotta pic?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry.  I am about 3, or 4 strong 151s into this thing, so my bad.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.  I am about 3, or 4 strong 151s into this thing, so my bad.  

I've had exactly 0, strong 151's (How do you make it strong? Ice cubes?) or even weakn's and I don't think it was clear that was the Smithsonian.
As far as I'd know, that's his Uncles garage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Since the Star Wars geeks might look at this thread, let me get in a question of my own:

where to get stormtrooper helmet ? link

Sorry for the thread hijack, but since I was the first to answer the question correctly, I feel okay in this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If it in fact the original then you can NAME YOUR PRICE and the Star Wars crowd will be thrusting fistfulls of money at you.

TIE pilot's shoulder, not Vader's. I wondered about the minor inconsistencies with the movie: oxygen tubes going over the shoulders in the painting instead of down to the chest, etc. If it's a pre-production painting, this makes a lot of sense.

I'm not much of a judge when it comes to figuring out if a painting is an original or a copy. Is there anybody in the San Antonio area who could with this?

Again, my uncle seemed to think they were pretty valuable and he was very well connected (and a major geek) in the 70's and 80's. About half of my major collection of sci-fi books and the vast majority of my Star Wars books used to be his.

He also had an original Darth Vader bust with glowing lightsaber, but it broke during moving in the early 90's. That was probably pretty valuable too. Heck, he had a lot of really cool and detailed models too, but the only one I really remember is his Y-Wing.

I'll see what I can find out about the painting, maybe get it appraised or something. If it's worth a couple thousand bucks, I'll probably just hold on to it. If, on the other hand, it's worth a LOT of freaking money, then I'll likely sell it and spend the money on tuition, guns, and an exact replica of the painting so I still have "it" hanging on my wall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  I am about 3, or 4 strong 151s into this thing, so my bad.  [/quote
I've had exactly 0, strong 151's (How do you make it strong? Ice cubes?) or even weakn's and I don't think it was clear that was the Smithsonian.]
As far as I'd know, that's his Uncles garage.

holy shit.  Strong is called not diluting this 75.5% alcohol stuff enough.  This stuff is as near to rubbing alcohol as I have had.  I need to stop for the evening.  Cheers.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIE pilot's shoulder, not Vader's. I wondered about the minor inconsistencies with the movie: oxygen tubes going over the shoulders in the painting instead of down to the chest, etc. If it's a pre-production painting, this makes a lot of sense.

I'm not much of a judge when it comes to figuring out if a painting is an original or a copy. Is there anybody in the San Antonio area who could with this?

Again, my uncle seemed to think they were pretty valuable and he was very well connected (and a major geek) in the 70's and 80's. About half of my major collection of sci-fi books and the vast majority of my Star Wars books used to be his.

He also had an original Darth Vader bust with glowing lightsaber, but it broke during moving in the early 90's. That was probably pretty valuable too. Heck, he had a lot of really cool and detailed models too, but the only one I really remember is his Y-Wing.

I'll see what I can find out about the painting, maybe get it appraised or something. If it's worth a couple thousand bucks, I'll probably just hold on to it. If, on the other hand, it's worth a LOT of freaking money, then I'll likely sell it and spend the money on tuition, guns, and an exact replica of the painting so I still have "it" hanging on my wall.

The costumes and script went through LOTS of changes as it gestated.

It IS supposed to be Vader; but an early version to be sure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except for the hoses, it looks identical to the back of a TIE pilot to me.

Where do you get your info, anyhow?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

though even if it isnt orginal i bet its worth some serious cash
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]

www.ralphmcquarrie.com/swart/paint/index.html

Yea, my bet is it's worth a shit load of money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of Ralph McQuarrie's artwork was supposedly stolen in '77, right around the time when the film was released...so if it's real, you may have some of the stolen artwork.

Are you sure it's real? There was a portfolio of his artwork sold back then.

Scott

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, I saw the first one on opening day in 1977 and have have avidly absorbed every obscure factoid I come across ever since. So I can't tell you where I came across this info. I just know!

Just to show you how much stuff was changed in the film, another of McQuarrie's pre-production depicts a stormtrooper armed with a lightsaber confronting the heroes in the Death Star hanger bay...

Now, anyone know where I can get a good Stormtrooper helmet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The air hoses and the rib on the helmet are making me think it is a TIE pilot, but since this is pre-production, it could be Vader just as easily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.ralphmcquarrie.com/swart/paint/19.JPG

Holy shit! That's it! That's my painting!

If it is an original... fuck, I might be sitting on a gold mine and not even know it. I'm gonna have to do something to keep that painting protected, because my family will never take care of it. Half my shit gets lost or destroyed while I'm at school anyway.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Is recieving stolen property a Felony?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, I saw the first one on opening day in 1977 and have have avidly absorbed every obscure factoid I come across ever since. So I can't tell you where I came across this info. I just know!

Just to show you how much stuff was changed in the film, another of McQuarrie's pre-production depicts a stormtrooper armed with a lightsaber confronting the heroes in the Death Star hanger bay...

Now, anyone know where I can get a good Stormtrooper helmet?

I've seen images of the stormtrooper with a lightsaber painting. Somewhere on my computer is one. I seem to recall Han Solo having a saber in the painting as well and being dressed more like Lando and Chewbacca having really big ears.

I'd have never thought this was something like that though. I always figured it was a fan-made item until I saw the Smithsonian image I posted.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1) There's no indication that my painting was ever stolen.

2) Would it be a felony to receive stolen property from someone who received stolen property? Because it is stolen, neither I nor my uncle would have had any inkling of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.ralphmcquarrie.com/swart/paint/17.html

I'm pretty sure that's one of the other paintings my uncle has. Don't see the painting of the Star Destroyer on the web page though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) There's no indication that my painting was ever stolen.

2) Would it be a felony to receive stolen property from someone who received stolen property? Because it is stolen, neither I nor my uncle would have had any inkling of it.

Relax I was kidding!

But seriously, try to take care of those paintings if for no other reason than their historic value..

Plus the fact that the right people will give you FREAKIN' INSANE amounts of cash for them if you decide to sell...

How much? If they are the originals over $10k each no foolin'.

By the way I might be wrong about the guy in the TIE cockpit. Vader has the Samurai helmet in the other pre-production paintings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
http://www.ralphmcquarrie.com/swart/paint/17.html

I'm pretty sure that's one of the other paintings my uncle has. Don't see the painting of the Star Destroyer on the web page though.

Here are some more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#32]
tag so I can get the links again later
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Well Swindle

Lucas keeps an extremely tight reign on the props and paintings used in his movies, more than nearly any other Director in show business.  I think the only way you're going to find the answer you are looking for is to contact Skywalker Ranch yourself and see if an archivist in fact has the original or not.  What is the size of yours?  

Steve Sansweet is also known as a true StarWars guru reference collectibles.  Just Google his name and you'll be able to find out more about him.  Gus Lopez, (who lives in WA state) could also be a help in tracking down this info for you, his site is http://www.toysrgus.com/collectors.html.  I recommend taking some detailed digital pics first so these guys can really get a look at what you have.  

If this painting is the real McCoy, your money problems could be over (seriously).

Keep us informed!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Damm, you really can get any question answered on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Damm, you really can get any question answered on ARFCOM

Well, almost. We're still trying to figure out the question to 42.

Quoted:
Well Swindle

Lucas keeps an extremely tight reign on the props and paintings used in his movies, more than nearly any other Director in show business.  I think the only way you're going to find the answer you are looking for is to contact Skywalker Ranch yourself and see if an archivist in fact has the original or not.  What is the size of yours?  Yeah, and how would I get hold of Skywalker Ranch.

Steve Sansweet is also known as a true StarWars guru reference collectibles.  Just Google his name and you'll be able to find out more about him.  Gus Lopez, (who lives in WA state) could also be a help in tracking down this info for you, his site is http://www.toysrgus.com/collectors.html.  I recommend taking some detailed digital pics first so these guys can really get a look at what you have.  I'll look into this.

If this painting is the real McCoy, your money problems could be over (seriously). Geez, I WISH.

Keep us informed!

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]
So nobody knows where I can go to get this appraised and find out if it's an original or not?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So nobody knows where I can go to get this appraised and find out if it's an original or not?

My wife's has an aunt works at Skywalker Ranch.  IM me if you don't have any luck on your own.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag for an outcome. Just curious. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Bump for day crew.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#40]
HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

tag.

Swindle... Take a close look at the painting, can you see brush strokes or at least the paints thickness? Try shining a light on it from an oblique angle, that could throw the paint thickness into shadow relief.

...wow...

Before selling it, I'd take some good high res flatbed scans of it first. That way you could make your own mural or copy for your own purposes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

tag.

Swindle... Take a close look at the painting, can you see brush strokes or at least the paints thickness? Try shining a light on it from an oblique angle, that could throw the paint thickness into shadow relief.

...wow...

Before selling it, I'd take some good high res flatbed scans of it first. That way you could make your own mural or copy for your own purposes.

I don't know what, if anything, looking at the thickness would do for me.

Especially since I suspect it was painted on top of another painting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Technically they are geeks.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Technically they are geeks.  

I've never bit the head off a chicken.

According to dictionary.com the only difference between a geek and a nerd is that geek can be used to describe A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
www.ralphmcquarrie.com/swart/paint/19.JPG

Sweet Jesus! HELL YES!

We're talking some SERIOUS buckage!

Insure it! NOW!

Lucky shit. All I ever got from my uncle was............ nothing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm at home. Soon as I pop some batteries into my camera I'll start taking pictures.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
tag...this is really cool!

WBK
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Taggage
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
You with be Force the may [yoda]
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

My wife's has an aunt works at Skywalker Ranch.  IM me if you don't have any luck on your own.

Could you have your wife's aunt slap George Lucas upside the head for me for ruining the original Star Wars trilogy with the re-release edits?  And then upside the other side of his head for the midi-chlorian thing?

I'd be willing to pay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top