Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2001 5:43:55 PM EDT
In the last couple days, I remember seeing an ad somewhere for a bolt-action .22 LR, possibly a military surplus trainer, for less than $100. May have been Romanian.

A friend of mine is looking for a ground squirrel gun but doesn't have a lot of discretionary income so I thought something like this might fill the bill. However, I can't remember where exactly I saw the ad.

Can anyone give me a clue? Is something like this even worth considering? Also, is there a site similar to this for .22s? (Technically, I know this belongs in the Rimfire section, but since GD gets more traffic, that's why I'm posting it here.) [?] (Thanks in advance for any leads. [:)])
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I  have a few romanian's that I'm refinishing. I found them at dunhams (a large chain sporting goods store in the midwest). Paid $59. gunsnammo.com used to have them on their site, but not anymore. They were/are imported by century arms.

Here's one that's been refinished. A partially stripped stock is behind it:
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/qI/LI80855.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I got myself a romaian .22 too, for around the same price.  Did a hand-select from wholesale in NY.  Also got the rings, and extra mag from them.  So for the rings, 2 mags, and a rifle, less than 1 c-note.  
One of the mags needs a little work, its a little rough on feeding. The other feeds fine.  
I like it.  It was very clean, and dinged free.  Sights are in 25, 50, 100 yrd, and the front site is covered/hooded.  
Also hear that CMP is doing a .22 trainer for around the same price.
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I cruz pawn shops. I like old remington or winchester single shots. Got the last one for $32 dollars. Worked on the guy for a month till I got him down to the point he was tired of me coming into the store! LOL Refinished the stock and did some clean up with bronze wool and cold blue. Got the old weaver 4 power for 7 dollars with rings. It's a tack driver! Total investment= $39 bucks.. Have since added some new sling swivels from Wally world and had an old sling. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I am thinking for squirrel hunting a semi-auto might be nice.  Why not look for old Ruger 10/22s?  I have seen then for $90-$100 used at guns shows.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You really can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22.
It's always reliable, accurate, and inexpensive
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
10/22 is the only way to go very good rifle and there are mags out there for days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
What state kato4moto?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Walmart, got my son a Marlin Model 60 with scope for $100.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Be careful with the Romanians, they seem to be a hit or miss kind of thing. Mine was a big miss. Won't feed or extract worth a hoot. Accuracy for a 5-shot group hovers around 1" @ 50yds. Not up to my standards. I know it's a inexpensive rifle, but it has given me nothing but trouble. Also, it's really hard to find parts for one. Thanks just the same, I'll stick with my Ruger 10/22 or CZ 452. Both are real tack drivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top