Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 12:28:24 PM EDT
Anyone here know of a good site for Triumph info? I have a newly aquired '73 Tiger 750 that has some needs. The electrical system seems to not be charging. I need to know how to troubleshoot it. Should I replace the zenor & rectifier with one of the podtronics or tympanium units? It was also semi choped in that the front forks are longer. I want to go back to stock or shorter if that would lower tha whole thing. Do I need ned fork tubes, or can I have these shortened. I would also like the opinions of upgradeing the ignition it electronic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, maybe try posing this question at [url]motorcycle.com[/url]. Might be able to get leads there, if not answers. Good luck. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
why do the english drink warm beer???

they all have LUCAS refrigerators!

by all means, throw all the lucas crap in the trash and use technology from at least...the 1960's!

you will probably be stuck with the lucas gen. or alt. (forget when they switched), but everthing else can be replaced with stuff that costs less and actually works (lucas...prince of darkness...or, never ride after dark!).

way back when (about the time your bike was built!) some smart americam wrote a pamphlete on how to install delco-remy components on british bikes.

harley tubes can be shortened...triumphs, i don't know about. but tubes are cheap...cheaper than cutting down what you've got.

good luck! old trumpets are cool!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a Clymer, Haynes, or factory manual? If not get one. All show all the problems you can have with the elec system. All the Brit bikes from this period used the same crappy but simple system. If you are getting output from alt and getting spark it's probably dirty/corroded/loose connections in the harness. The diode/rec usually don't give problems unless they're dicked with or a wire breaks then you loose one or the other. Coils usually go before anything. The alt won't keep the battery charged if you do in town low speed riding with headlight on. Is battery new? I have zero experience with the after-market ign systems. The expense of replacing a diode or rec would warrant upgrading to the modern system.
After-market fork tubes from this period (hey man, let's make a chopper!)were POS! If you are lucky they used extensions. Look between the upper and lower triple clamps---is there a seam on the tube? If so you can unscrew them and have stock tubes again. If not, I would look for some NOS tubes.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Brit bikes! I've got a bunch of em...
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought a new '78 Bonnie, myself. (in '78) OK,OK, but I did learn a lot about fixing bikes.
Noname's right but I would look for both the stock factory book and a Haynes or Clymer. Do you wrench on bikes now or is it just the Triumph that's new 2 U ?
I found wonderful ideas and inspiration in a magazine called "Classic MotorCycles". Been a while but if memory serves (and it usually doesn't) the Bonnies tubes were threaded inside at the upper end with threaded caps to hold the fork springs in. Depending on the bars, you might be able to raise the tubes in the triple clamps some. I went to what was called a MityMax module...eliminated the battery, zener, (and the voltage reg.?) Check ROUTT'S in Tampa FL, and if still in business, Big D Cycles in Dallas TX. My 2 cents...keep the points and DON'T change to a single point set. Ride Safe.
By the way...one time I bungeed an American 180
to the back of the Bonnie w/o a case or cover for it on the way to the range.
Now THAT was how to get some riding room here in South Florida. A while back though, wouldn't recommend it now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys. I can wrench on a lot of things, but electrics are my shortfall. Especially the positive ground thing. So it sounds like the electronic ignition is a waste at this point? This is my second complete triumph. I have a '71 bonnie 650 & a basket '69 chopper also. '77 FLH Harley & a '97 Road King are my others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Gun=fan,

These guys are correct. Lucas made crap electrics. I owned a 62 Bonnie & a 70 Trophy and they both suffered from poor electrical systems.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My first set of wheels was a 1966 T100SR (500).  I bought it used for $350 when I was 16 or 17.  I still have it, in pieces!  Some day I hope to put it on the road again.  Be aware that the earlier ones were made with nuts and bolts sized to British Standard and Whitworth.  Finding correct tools as well as parts may be a trick.  I saw/heard a 650 in Salem, OR. the other day.  Sure did sound good!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
BREWHAHAHAW, Sorry I just had a FLASHBACK.
Were you an early baby boomer you would remember
that Triumph, Norton, and Alfa Romaeo were and still are ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARES. I have sold one of each, in the early 60's, because no one could keep the damm things running.
Beautiful Bikes! Kinda like a knockout woman
thats haywire in the head.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BREWHAHAHAW, Sorry I just had a FLASHBACK.
Were you an early baby boomer you would remember
that Triumph, Norton, and Alfa Romaeo were and still are ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARES. I have sold one of each, in the early 60's, because no one could keep the damm things running.
Beautiful Bikes! Kinda like a knockout woman
thats haywire in the head.
View Quote

Yeah I know. I have a history of taking on problem projects. That includes women too. [BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top