Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2001 12:07:27 PM EDT
Has there ever been a reported case of the 50BMG being used in the U.S. in a crime other than some one stealing one? has anyone seen any articles. the librals attack this weapon all the time but other than in ROBOCOP I have never seen one used in a crime.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the statistics, but I find it hard to believe anyone would hold up a convience store 1000 yds away.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
We really need to regulate this weapon...preferably ban it.  Did you know you could kill someone with it from 10 miles away?  I saw a story about it on the news, and they said it was an anti-tank weapon.  That's scarey!!  Nobody [i]needs[/i] one of those high-powered, fully-automatic, anti-tank/aircraft .50 caliber shoulder-mounted sub-machine pistols.

BAN THEM, before all the kids die!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Got this off a web site...

""Lee relies mainly on the Violence Policy Center's report "One Shot, One Kill: Civilian Sales of Military Sniper Rifles" by Tom Diaz as evidence of the threat of criminal use of 50 caliber rifles. The full report, which costs $12 from the VPC, provides evidence that in August of 1992 eighteen-year-old British Private Paul Turner was killed by the Irish Republican Army with a Barrett M82A1 rifle. Lee also cites a few cases where people arrested for plotting to kill Fidel Castro, members of a doomsday cult in Montana, and a tax protester in Georgia may have illegally possessed 50 caliber rifles, though none of these involved actutally using the rifles in a crime. If one would be so gracious as to count the 1992 IRA-involved shooting as a military action by a separatist organization involved in an 800-year civil war, nobody has yet come forward with any evidence that any 50 caliber rifle has ever been used in a crime anywhere in the civilian world.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got this off a web site...

""Lee relies mainly on the Violence Policy Center's report "One Shot, One Kill: Civilian Sales of Military Sniper Rifles" by Tom Diaz as evidence of the threat of criminal use of 50 caliber rifles. The full report, which costs $12 from the VPC, provides evidence that in August of 1992 eighteen-year-old British Private Paul Turner was killed by the Irish Republican Army with a Barrett M82A1 rifle. Lee also cites a few cases where people arrested for plotting to kill Fidel Castro, members of a doomsday cult in Montana, and a tax protester in Georgia may have illegally possessed 50 caliber rifles, though none of these involved actutally using the rifles in a crime. If one would be so gracious as to count the 1992 IRA-involved shooting as a military action by a separatist organization involved in an 800-year civil war, nobody has yet come forward with any evidence that any 50 caliber rifle has ever been used in a crime anywhere in the civilian world.
View Quote

why dosnt anyone on the other side of all thoose gun law debates on T.V. ever bring this kind of answer to the general public? disinformation at its best!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Chimb- I believe the official euphemism is now:

cop killing, high-powered, saturday night full automatic, anti-tank, paramilitary, 50 caliber, shoulder mounted, assault, machine, pistols.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard that there was one case where a .50 was involved.  Of course, I do not know of a link or story to support this.
Yes the anti's do attack the .50 (based totally on fear!   oh, my you can shoot a mile away!!!  you can shoot through anything.)  How many people have the training needed to shoot a target 1 mile away?   Not your average thug.  I'm a damn good shot and I can't do that yet. (I need better optics).

FROM THE FCSA WEBSITE
"FCSA is not aware of any incident where a .50 caliber rifle has ever been used in a documented criminal incident in the United States. FCSA has on more than one occasion presented accurate and verifiable facts as evidence to the offices of legislators to refute the sensationalistic inaccuracies they have employed in support of legislation introduced to restrict the civilian ownership of .50 caliber rifles. The fifty caliber rifle is not the weapon of choice by criminals. The gun is very heavy (25-50 lbs.) and very expensive ($2000 to $10,000). Every person who purchases a fifty caliber rifle must go through the exact same process that everyone else has to when purchasing any firearm in the United States. This includes age limitations, waiting periods and background checks."

-------------------
I tell the Anti's to PROVE IT - SHOW ME THE DATA.    They can't
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We really need to regulate this weapon...preferably ban it.  Did you know you could kill someone with it from 10 miles away?  I saw a story about it on the news, and they said it was an anti-tank weapon.  That's scarey!!  Nobody [i]needs[/i] one of those high-powered, fully-automatic, anti-tank/aircraft .50 caliber shoulder-mounted sub-machine pistols.

BAN THEM, before all the kids die!
View Quote

You are sadly mistaken, I use mine a few times a week as a recreation. I find it deplorable that one must tell another what they can or cannot use in a safe manner. May I suggest that you back away from your computer, your a risk to everyone on the net that has common sense.

Ai

View Quote

he knows he's mistaken he was being sarcastic..
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are sadly mistaken, I use mine a few times a week as a recreation. I find it deplorable that one must tell another what they can or cannot use in a safe manner. May I suggest that you back away from your computer, your a risk to everyone on the net that has common sense.

Ai

View Quote

But don't you care about the children?  There will be blood on the streets and playground!  How could you be so uncaring and callous?
You don't [i]need[/i] that gun!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then please accept my apology, Chimborazo.
I have heard this time and time again. It does wear on a person after a while.

Ai
View Quote

Actually, I had to be stopped.  I was about to make myself sick with that crap.
[puke]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Nash Bridges has an episode on right now with a guy up on a building with a Barrett taking people out.  I guess this is were the anti's get their idea to ban it. Of course, it is about a bunch of 'gun nuts'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top