Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 12:06:30 PM EDT
...are truly happy with your job/career?  How long have you been doing it?  How did you get into it?

I can't stand my job or my current career path.  Maybe it's just where I work that makes it bad.  I hate 9hrs of my day 5 days a week, and that's no way to live.
[:(]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I am happy with mine....I can be worse.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Try 9 hours 6 days a week.  Quit whining.[:P]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a convience store employee. I hate my job and complain about it every waking moment.  I got into it because no other place wanted to hire a college student for only 2 and a half months during vacation.  We get no breaks I work till midnight, I work every friday, saturday, and sunday so my social life is shot, and I have to deal with every moron who has a craving for lunchmeat ten minutes before closing time just after I spent 40 minutes cleaning the damn slicer....this job wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the f*cking customers and managers.

Two more weeks, till I go back to wonderful school.

Go Illini.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try 9 hours 6 days a week.  Quit whining.[:P]
View Quote

Well, that's part of what I'm trying to figure out.  I'm trying to get a feel for how many people accept that they are not happy and just stop complaining, as opposed to those who don't complain because they really do enjoy their job.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in a unique position.  My grandfather started our commercial construction company in 1946.  My father started working here when I was 5.  I started working here when I was 15, full time, except during school and college.  I hated it at first.  Working in the summers digging ditches and pouring concrete was no fun. But it kept me motivated to go back to school and I made decent money for a kid.  

I always wanted to be a doctor, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what I wanted to do wasn't as important as what I got out of my job.  We work to make a living, not to have fun.  If you want to have fun, go shooting, or fishing.  I work to provide a lifestyle for my family and opportunity for my children, not because I like it.  

I don't dislike my job, it pays well, but it has a lot of responsibility keeping the whole company working and all 40 employees families fed.  If I truly hated my job and didn't like even going, I would weigh the consequences of changing my career.  If I could make the same kind of salary and perks doing something I liked more, I would change.

Work is a necessary evil of society.  If you must work, get the most out of it for your efforts.  If it truly sucks, change jobs.  Just be sure you don't take a giant step backwards financially.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Just messing with you man.  I think anyone who enjoys their job is truly lucky.  I only know of a few people who enjoy what they do.  My job has it's good and bad days like any other.  The worst part are the hours that I have to put in to get the job done.  When you are truly ready to make a move you will know.  

Aggie1
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I like what I do.  I just don't like what I get paid to do what I do![:O]

Nothing a $20G a year raise won't cure![:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm content but not giggley.
It has many positive plusses and has been good to me and my family but it's not my "love".
I hope to do it as long as I can meet the requirements.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't stand my job or my current career path. Maybe it's just where I work that makes it bad. I hate 9hrs of my day 5 days a week, and that's no way to live
View Quote

That's not too bad, I work 5 days a week 11 hrs a day.
But I don't hate my job and that makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's not too bad, I work 5 days a week 11 hrs a day.
But I don't hate my job and that makes a big difference.
View Quote

That makes a HUGE difference.  I don't mind work at all.  I just can't sustain myself on anything I enjoy (so far).
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Ever heard the old saying "Once you find something you love to do, you never 'work' another day in your life"

Not a direct quote, but you get the point.
That's what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...are truly happy with your job/career?  How long have you been doing it?  How did you get into it?

I can't stand my job or my current career path.  Maybe it's just where I work that makes it bad.  I hate 9hrs of my day 5 days a week, and that's no way to live.
View Quote

I hear you. There are some days where it gets so bad that I go to a web site call ar-15.com and just post meaningless bull shit.
I work as an accounting manager and I can't stand the crazy crap that goes on. The constant fighting with the executives, the stupid games that the other managers play, and the long hours. I've been doing this for about 10 years. It was fun when I first started. The more you worked, the more money you make. Now, as a manager, you get a salary and they can work you to death. I get paid well for what I do, but god, it sucks!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I am ok with my job right now but later who knows. I just got my first real vacation last year and it was my first for 4 1/2 yrs. I took a day here and there not by choice but if I took off for a week well, the sky would fall! People who I work with FREAK OUT when I talk of a vacation.

I would like to get more money but I am ok right now with the pay.

I am not tired of messing with the Biohazard and the smells of my job Histology/Cytology lab resource manager. I am the only one that has the balls to do the amputations NO ONE will work with them other than the doctors but they are above that (so they think). Not even the lab people will bother touching them much less getting them ready for inceration. The job stinks due to build up of infection in the legs. That is the last time I said "I will help, and do that for you".(girl was gaging) Now it became my job! Our medical director seen me doing this and was happy with me. Yea, I get a few perks from it but still I don't think it is right for lab people who work in a freaking hospital and see all kinds of gross things and can't even touch a amputated leg? Geesh...they are wimps in my book.

But I am happy with my position so far. I have been there 5 1/4 yrs now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was in that frame of mind once.  So one morning when my feet hit the floor, I said, "This is my last day."  And it was.  No new job lined up.  I just quit cold turkey.  I figured if I worked as hard at my new job (finding work) that I did on my old job, I would be fine.  Sure enough, I found a new job paying more and requiring less hours.  Of course it was no fun being unemployed at Christmas time, but that was part of the process.

My advice is to bulk up your savings, cut out the unnecessary spending, and make a break for the unknown.  If you have faith in God, and confidence in your abilities, you will eventually land somewhere that is a much better match for your interests and skills.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am a convience store employee. I hate my job and complain about it every waking moment.  We get no breaks I work till midnight, I work every friday, saturday, and sunday so my social life is shot, and I have to deal with every moron who has a craving for lunchmeat ten minutes before closing time just after I spent 40 minutes cleaning the damn slicer....this job wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the f*cking customers and managers.
Go Illini.
View Quote

Dude,

Put a positive spin on the situation.  I like to think of your job as hunting.  If I worked there, I'd have my little Glock 27 in my pocket just waiting for some coked-up turdbird to come hip-hoppin' in with a nine and a demand for cash.  It's me vs. him.  Think of the store at night like a tree stand over a salt block, only far more exciting!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
My job doesn't suck.  It isn't the greatest, but I enjoy what I do.  on the up side, they haven't dropped me out of a plane in the middle of the night, while a bunch of panamanians tried to shoot me and my buddies, or made me sit in the middle of a huge hot beach with no water for several months so we could clean up after the airforce, like my previous employer did. Anytime I start feeling like my job sucks, I have my old K-pot sitting above my desk. I can put it on and sleep out in the rain. then I remember that I've had worse jobs.
Airborne
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a convience store employee. I hate my job and complain about it every waking moment.  We get no breaks I work till midnight, I work every friday, saturday, and sunday so my social life is shot, and I have to deal with every moron who has a craving for lunchmeat ten minutes before closing time just after I spent 40 minutes cleaning the damn slicer....this job wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the f*cking customers and managers.
Go Illini.
View Quote

Dude,

Put a positive spin on the situation.  I like to think of your job as hunting.  If I worked there, I'd have my little Glock 27 in my pocket just waiting for some coked-up turdbird to come hip-hoppin' in with a nine and a demand for cash.  It's me vs. him.  Think of the store at night like a tree stand over a salt block, only far more exciting!
View Quote

I signed a form = no guns at work
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know I've only been working there for 6 days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I`m happy with what I do, it`s one of the things I wanted to do, BUT just plain sick of going to work every day......did somebody say R-E-T-I-R-E-M-E-N-T..???.......[sleep]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
i LOVE what i do.  i'm doing what 95% of americans will never do in their entire lifetime:  attain financial freedom.  you don't get that working for someone else.  you're just working to help HIM attain HIS financial freedom.  i'm working for myself.  that's the ONLY way to get what you want.  is it hard work?  absolutely.  are there days i wanna quit?  sometimes.  would i ever do anything else?  ABSOTIVELY POSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!

a lot of you guys gave good advice....if you want to spend the rest of your life lining someone else's pockets.  if you're interested in something else, anyone, email me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I signed a form = no guns at work
View Quote

Wow.  Sorry to hear that.  In exchange for signing away your right to defend yourself, the company gladly posted an armed guard for your personal protection, right?

My employer has a rule about carrying firearms in the workplace.  I don't carry because the risk is really low.  However, every time I terminate someone, I feel a heightened sense of dread that the employee is going to reach in his pocket and go postal.  Hopefully it won't happen but you never know.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to love my Job, then I retired and now work for my self, its not bad I am a construction subcontractor. I used to be an Infantryman.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm 72, and I have to work 7 days per week.  I make a little above minimum wage as a security guard.  Tell me life doesn't suck.  In the past, I've taught college physics, electrical engineer classes, wrote a college textbook on intro to physics, another on C (before it became popular in the mid-80's, so it didn't sell many copies), and I worked on and off in the textile industry on machine monitoring (and some control) equipment.  Because I don't have an EE degree, I can't find work any longer doing what I love, teaching.  The textile market around here, while it was booming in the 50's, is very soft now.  So, I can't get work for my second love, computer interfaces to machines for monitoring.  Also, no one wants to hire a 72 year old C/UNIX expert.  If I had spent my life welding rather than learning, I would be making more money now.

Chimborazo, while your life may suck now, but life REALLY begins to suck when you no longer think it's going to get better.  Most anyone can put up with something for a while, e.g. working a sucky job in the summers while going to school, because they know they'll be better off in the long run.  It sucks worse when you know you're not going to do better.  I guess what I'm trying to say is if the job isn't permanent, then you shouldn't feel too bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish I had a job so I could hate it. I just watch TV all day now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Geez I work 7 days a week 9 to 14 hour days, get a couple of days off every 3 weeks. But I love my job!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#28]
i HATE my job...it is the OPPOSITE of everything i love and believe in...i HATE the city i work in, and ALL the people in it...i HATE my 2 hour commute...i HATE the town i live in...

... thanx for letting me vent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks all, for your input.

-Chimborazo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top