Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2001 5:31:03 PM EDT
For years I have enjoyed carrying a handgun in my fanny pack when I go for a ride in the boonies on my dual sport motor cycle. Combines two fun hobbies to ride out and rack off a few rounds.
While on vacation in New Orleans last month, I noticed many apparent lesbians and a few gay looking men sporting fanny packs.
Is this a gay accessory or were they all simply pink pistol members exercising their lawful
right to carry?
I don't think there is anything wrong with being gay, but I don't want to give the wrong impression.
When you think about it, the term "fanny pack" sounds pretty gay in itself.

Should I switch to a backpack?

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I only use mine when I go into the woods.

It does kinda look gay though.  Probably because of the name "fanny".

What color is yours?

Mine is blue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a masculine, business like black.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Every time I see someone wearing a fanny pack, I think "What kind of gun are they carrying?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Every time I see someone wearing a fanny pack, I think "What kind of gun are they carrying?"
View Quote

Especially the "Eagle" ones with the pull cord sticking out.

Pretty low profile huh?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Starting to look gay?  Wow, where have you been?

I worked in an amusement park part-time from the mid-80's until a few years ago.  That was the first place I ever saw these packs.  We called them "Butt-Packs."  It even said that on the label in the stores where we sold them.  The name even sounds gay.  It wasn't until a few years latter when a few sucker, err soccer moms starting buying them for their kids (trying to turn them gay, I guess) that they were first called a fanny pack.  The vast majority (ok, all) of guys I saw carrying them then were screaming gay.  The gays that worked at the park had a set of signals with the packs.  Wear it on the left side, and you're looking for someone special.  Right side, and you're looking for someone special for the night.  Back side, and you're looking for more than one person.  It got so bad, the park manager ended-up putting an instant dismissal policy into place for the wearing of this gay-pride symbol.

MoleEye, I will agree with you that if you're going to carry one, black is best.

I find it very disturbing that this gay symbol is now being worn by straight males.  I guess the convience of the pack for CCW overrides all of the bad history.  Form over function, I suppose.  I guess it's a good thing we don't let the fags ruin something usefull for us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Switch to backpack. You obviously have issues!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, yes, the old "Fag Bag".

I seem to recall reading once that someone came out with a fanny pack carry holster, and made the mistake of calling it a:

Fast
Action
Gun

Bag.

Although, if you go to a real tourist area, lots of people (unless gays are getting married to women and having 2.5 children these days) are carrying them.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you ever have to ask "is this too gay?".....[b]IT IS![/b]
View Quote

good rule to live by.

serioulsy, a nice leather one would be ok in duel sport motorcycle garb, but for everyday use is would be a little flaming
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My pack is black ballistic nylon.  It has a 2" wide belt, with a industrial plastic dual snap buckle that would more than likely support over 200 lbs.  No way would this gun pack ever give an effeminate impression.  I've never even thought about it.  This pack was made by Hafner Creations, a Lake City, Florida company.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
when fanny packs started getting big and still some now it definitely was a gay thing, but usually the only gays and hell really the only people at all you'd see wearing them wear the complete flamers. if I see a fanny pack on a dude and he's not stamping his feet or putting his hand on his hip with the other hand dangling limpy or acting girly in any other way. I know there is a gun involved, everyone does. especially leather ones.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have custom cc holster that holds my pistol just a little off  center and down the front of my pants and is pretty comfortable. It does a pretty good job, but I a few stares , mostly from women, when I've got the 6" .357 in there. I don't know why.    

BMB
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm married. It doesn't matter if I look gay. [:|]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I base the gayness on the color.  If it is pink or baby blue, then I know whats up.  If I see one that is black or a dark color, then I think gun.  My pack is black industrial strength nylon.  There is nothing girly about it.  I only carry it while hiking or fishing, so nobody ever really sees it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Sometimes the practical side of a product outweighs the implication of being a fudge packin rump ranger....or maybe no, but never the less I am guilty of impersonating a homo.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a backpack.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
It's OK only if it's Black or a dark Leather.
This is negated if you take it off your waist to carry or place upon your shoulder in any way.
Doing So Will Make You GAY Automatically!

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If your too gay then just stick a rainbow sticker to your shoulder and tell them that your on the "patch"!

abomination of mankind
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have custom cc holster that holds my pistol just a little off  center and down the front of my pants and is pretty comfortable. It does a pretty good job, but I a few stares , mostly from women, when I've got the 6" .357 in there. I don't know why.    

BMB
View Quote

Now you know what it feels like to have 7" down your pants.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Nylon.....gay.
Black leather.......gay...but a little butch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't see how a fanny pack is a good CCW option. You'd first have to unzip the damn thing. My sidearmor for my glock seems like a much better choice
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I've worn a small one to carry spare mags when camping. I never thought they looked gay, so if it works well, Id say use it. This is the first time Ive heard them being associated with being gay.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#25]
If you believe a Fanny Pack makes you look somewhat on the Gay Side, use a small brown paper bag like the Wino's use to carry around your handgun....People will think you are a Wino and leave you alone....Just don't try to look like a Gay Wino, unless you just can't help yourself.....

[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010514.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
sharky30 - My fanny pack has a holster built into it.  It is held tight with velcro, so there is no need to unzip it.  I can open it with one hand and deploy instantly.  It is also secure, so the gun won't come flopping out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#27]
All I know is that my Navy SEAL buddy has one 24/7.  I'm pretty sure there is some sort of SIG with a mag reload inside.  But a guy like that can wear a pink speedo over his shorts and no one would say a thing!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All I know is that my Navy SEAL buddy has one 24/7.  I'm pretty sure there is some sort of SIG with a mag reload inside.  But a guy like that can wear a pink speedo over his shorts and no one would say a thing!
View Quote

Pink Speedo, maybe.
Pink Fanny Pack,[b]  Definitely GAY.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Yummmayyyy. Gay, thtrong, thtrapping, Navy theals wearing PINK make me tho horny. There should be a feature on them on the Christopher Lowell show! Yay!

Seriously though, if the gear fits the situation and works for you, USE IT. I prefer to always use some type of traditional holdter, but I do use a (uh huhm) fanny-pack on occasion. It is black though[:)].
Regards,
CS

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is royal blue.  I never thought about the gay issue before, but if you don't care what people might think about you carrying, why should you care about the gay issue?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#32]
There are times when one of these fanny packs is a persons best and only means of carrying.

In these situations, I use mine (black leather) as a sort of carry all for us.

In addition to my Glock 27, I can also carry ID, cash and other small items as well as a spare mag without sticking out like a sore thumb.  The weapon is held in it's own section with a leather holster velcroed into the pack.  I can draw from it as quick or quicker than someone who is wearing an IWB or small kydex holster.

This method of carry is perfect for extremely hot weather, bike riding, beaches/tours/parks and other times when conventional ccw is not possible and/or too uncomfortable.

If I am "too gay" for doing this then so what?  I blend in with the other "tourists" so to speak and become one of the crowd.

I still have my weapon and that is what matters most to me and my family.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I know 3 guys that wear a fanny pack to my work place.  One guy wears a pink one (he is a known homosexual), and the other 2 guys (including me) wear black ones.  The main reason I wear one (besides for handgun concealment) is that my work uniform doesn't have pockets.  I wear scrubs.  The fanny pack is the only way I can carry my wallet, keys, cell phone, sun glasses and Visor.

Call me a fag and I'll shoot you! [:D]

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Wearing one of those in west hollywood should be grounds for probable cause and implied consent to a full body cavity search.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
we call those things ASS packs'

put a harley davidson patch on it, so no one will think your gay
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
YES!!! Only fag's wear them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here! Fanny packs and photographer's vests.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#38]
only if your packing your fanny....
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a lot of fags on this site.  
Those fany packs are realy fag. Just look at your self in the miror.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I base the gayness on the color.  If it is pink or baby blue, then I know whats up.  If I see one that is black or a dark color, then I think gun.  My pack is black industrial strength nylon.  There is nothing girly about it.  I only carry it while hiking or fishing, so nobody ever really sees it.
View Quote

I had to get mine in blue because I didn't want to arouse suspicion by wearing a black one.  Not baby blue!

Hell, I only wore it in the woods anyways.  The animals should be more concerned more about seeing bullets flying than the color of the fag pack.  I mean fanny pack.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I use one like I was issued in the Army, OD green on a pistol belt.

Never been accused of being gay yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes! Especially the leather ones. Give it to the Salvo's. Just fuc* it off!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Yea I carry one also. Ballistic black nylon. Convenient for cell phone, wallet, mini mag lite etc. The motorcycle cops at work use a fanny pack when not on duty, cruising on their own Harleys. Some of the off duty cops that I know of use fanny packs when they are not on duty. Convenient when your only atire is t-shirt jeans and running shoes. Firearms can be deployed very quickly though it takes two hands for quickness. Can be done with one hand but is considerably slower.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#44]
This is just too hilarious!  Black leather with Harley patches!  

You guys that think wearing a fanny pack might make you look "too gay" need to ask yourselves WHY that is and determine EXACTLY what you're afraid of.

Also, FWIW, in England, "fanny" is slang for female genetalia.  Just something else for you real men to obsess about.

PS:  And to cut off all the responders that will say that Dolomite is gay, well, there ain't no way Rudy Ray be gay.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Why not try this. A Colt Gov't may be a bit uncomfortable though... [}:D]

[url][center]http://www.thunderwear.com/[/url][/center]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1495478&a=12434565&p=52330929[/img]

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#46]
It never bothered me, but my wife hates it.  She thinks it is too faggy and conspicuous and likes IWB much better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#47]
[url]www.thunderwear.com[/url]

Has anyone tried these out?  They claim to offer total concealment, not requiring a coat or jacket.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Every bit of clothing styles we wear, gays wear also.  Disguard your gay cloths and let it swing in the breeze.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I use a fanny pack, and I'm a homophobe (or, so they tell me  [:D] )

I guess when you are 6'4" , 260 lbs, you can get away with some things other more diminutive individuals cannot.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Grundsau, I'm sorry, but those shorts make you look a little gay! LOL
MoleEye: I agree with others. If you worry about it then there is a problem with it, or you that is(no flame - of any kind).
I've done the "Does this look gay"  thing before. I lived in Long Beach once while taking commercial diver training at College of Oceaneering in Wilmington. I came all the way from West Texas, so I didn't realize, until deposits & rent were payed, that Long Beach, CA is full of gays & old folks (at least where our apartment was located). Whenever I'd walk down through town, if I took my jacket off 'cause it was too hot, I'd carry it in my hand then wonder if that was some gay signal. Switch to the other hand, worry some more about THAT being a signal, etc. I just had to quit letting my paranoia ruin my life.
What I'm getting at is, you have to forget about what other people think. As far as fannypacks looking gay, I've never heard that before, and I don't care. And I'm sure MOST people don't either. I'm in the process of  molding a plastic holster that I will sew into the back of my old North Face fannypack for my  handguns. Yep, I can sew. Learned it from the Smokejumpers at the Alaska Fire Service, now 'aint that just too gay? LOL
p.s. I love old timey music and this bit about homosexuals taking over the word Gay pisses me off. In those songs gay just means happy, nothing else!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top