Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2001 10:54:42 AM EDT
I have an engine that i need to find out about, here is all the info off of the plate.

Rockwell G.m.b.H.
Typ: 2f440-5 typ-zeichen: 202
hubr: 434
ccm: PS/n
Mot-nr: 43805 1881

Any info (as to what it needs gas wise, oil wise, Mixture wise...anything) would be greatly appreciated.

Any websites that have this engines info?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It's of German decent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#2]
What did it come out of?

Is it Gas or diesel?  no carb on diesel engines.

was it running when you found it?

age?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the story of the engine.

It came out of a snowmobile origianlly (I think), it is gas powered, has a carb.  Pull start, 2 cylinder.  It is now in place in a honda odyssey (dune buggy type thing).

It ran for the first 30 minutes or so, now it just sputters and dies.

Anything I should look for?  

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Carb/fuel feed would be the logical and easiest things to check first. Squirt a little brake cleaner into the carb and see if it'll fire up.

If it does, you might just have a fuel feed problem. Check the fuel lines, make sure they haven't cracked. Check the fuel filter, make sure it's not clogged, Check the float in the carb, etc., etc.

These are all things that just crap out in lawn mower engines; I presume this motor would be similar.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check to see that:
- air filter not plugged
- gas cap vent not plugged
- not sucking air through bad gasket, loose connection, etc.
- valve not stuck
- if it has a condenser, make sure it's good or spark is weak

NMSight
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I can get it started (after a real chore of pull starting), and ti runs sort of ragged for about 3-4 minutes, if I try to put any load on the engine it dies.

That help with the diagnoses?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you sure this thing isn't a four cycle?
It sure sounds like you're feeding it something it doesn't like.
Clean fuel tank  (I mean no crap broke loose, & blocked the line), right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'd bet a junk mag it's "real rich" too.

hielo, get it started yet?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you have a JLO sled engine.( made by Rockwell, in Germany ) They were used on a lot of Scorpion & Columbia snowmobiles in the mid-late '70s.
If you have been using it above 32 Deg F, you have melted the piston down. Those things are hard enough to keep cool in winter time !
Check your compression & look for aluminum deposits on the plug.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It has a round body under the air horn with several layers and the fuel line going in the bottom, so I guess it is a tillitson, I will buy a rebuild kit and start there.

As to running it above 32 degrees, would I be better off getting a different engine to mount on this thing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Any other ideas or resources would be most welcome.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to knock your treasure, but ANYTHING is better than a JLO, especially above freezing. If you will be using this engine,try to duct air into the cooling fan to assure a good cool air supply, & make sure the fan belt is tight ( remove shims if necessary) The timing,and jetting are extremely important to maintain these engines above freezing ( or below ).
Dont spend any $ on a carb kit until you check your compression.  Also,avoid the high-alcohol fuels if you can, they will eat the diaphragms in the carb for lunch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Gastrap,

I am not married to this engine other than it being mounted in the kart.  Seeing as I know zilch about this kind of stuff, is there anohter engine that can replace it with a minimum of fuss, and which would provide equal performance (or better?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top