Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2005 12:28:28 PM EDT
Not looking for the normal "what would you do" retard thread here.  I'd like owners of these different cars to give me some serious pros... better yet give me the reasons you don't like your car.  I know focus had some trans problems...

I currently have a '98 Subaru 2.5rs and it's just about at 150k miles.  I'm adding about 120 miles everyday.  My idea here is to buy a new car and sell the subaru while I can still get more than $10 out of it.  I'm not so worried about reliability of the subaru since she's had nothing but full synthetic oil since 60k when I bought her...
I had a ford focus 4 door bucket rent-a-car for 2 weeks and I loved the 12 different cup holders (something my subaru is missing), the power was ok, but the handling was garbage.  I know a zx3 would be ok (handling), but I like the idea of the 4 doors on all the other cars I have listed.  I have yet to get behind the wheel of an Xa... I swear they are like 4 leaf clovers ever since gas went over $2.50.  I didn't care for the fact that it was SOO SMALL it reminded me of a golf cart.  That's what got me thinking about something bigger.  I took a kia spectra out for a test drive and think I made the salesman piss himself.  For what it is, I was very impressed with how it drove.  I'm going to drive all, but I'm rather sure they will all be roughly in the same boat.  The reason I hit the Kia dealership is because I thought it would be cheap.  For the price they want I can get a Matrix... so that's where I at now... Whatever I get will be between 15k and 18k (not a huge difference spread over 5 years) so I might as well look at everything.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Asking for people to be serious in a GD thread is like asking a monkey not to throw poo.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Asking for people to be serious in a GD thread is like asking a monkey not to throw poo.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sold, I'll take the 2.5RS for $10.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you asked for my opinion on Fords, I must say as an owner, I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I would add the VW Golf TDI to your list.  At the top end of your scale, price wise, but that little diesel Golf will get ungodly gas mileage, which is good with the mileage your putting on it.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The (Toyota) Scion xA has a puny trunk. Otherwise, it's a good buy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would add the VW Golf TDI to your list.  At the top end of your scale, price wise, but that little diesel Golf will get ungodly gas mileage, which is good with the mileage your putting on it.  

I would consider it, but I just can't stand VW.  Not even any great reasons why... I guess I'm just racesist against VW.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would consider it, but I just can't stand VW.  Not even any great reasons why... I guess I'm just racesist against VW.

Fuck the wha?
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
MATRIX!!!!

My sister has the sibling to the Matrix, the Pontiac Vibe! Coolest little car, has got a ton of storage room and a lot of power for a 130 hp four(you can get a 180 hp fourbanger if you like more power) and you can get AWD.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard a lot of good things about Toyota Matrix lately.
A friend got one recently just to drive to work (75-80 miles each way everyday) and he likes it a lot.  
I believe Matrix is made for Toyota by Suzuki.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VW is the official car of the fags
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are made by Toyota in a factory up in Canada.  Not sure if by Suzuki but they are in the same plant Camaros were built in.  The Pontiac Vibe is built in California.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
VW is the official car of the fags

That and the past few years they've only been beat by Land Rover for overall unreliability.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
this is what the cars will do for you:

scion: make you gay and you will get rid of all your guns
mazda: make you into an asshole driver, more than you ever thought you could be
kia: make you into a poor SOB, you will have to sell your guns to eat
focus: make you need another car, because it will break so much

so I would get the toyota because it is a very decent car with good build quality and its not any of the above things.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 4 door Mazda 6 sedan. (4 cyl) Great handling, good mileage, good zoom-zoom for a 4-banger.

Only real problem is I have is the AM radio tuning is poor, will pass by strong signals like they arn't even there.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Satisfied Vibe owner here (rebadged Matrix).  It's the roomiest of all of them, is thoughtfully laid out, has a back seat big enough for real people, and only the Ford has a bigger engine.  That's offset by the fact that... well... it's a Ford.  

The price is right, and it's hard to get more reliable than a Toyota.  I love the built-in power inverter in the dash!

The Vibe is the same car with better looks.  I may be somewhat of an evangelist since I work at a Pontiac dealership, but there's a reason that it's the biggest seller in that class.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are made by Toyota in a factory up in Canada.  Not sure if by Suzuki but they are in the same plant Camaros were built in.  The Pontiac Vibe is built in California.  

Like I said, I wasn't sure but I know Suzuki is building something for Toyota.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
keep '98 Subaru 2.5rs or trade for WRX

Focus = one ugly lil car  {FixOrRepairDayly}
scion Xa= a lot of room , no power,ugly
Matrix = no power
mazda5 =Mazda5 exhaust fires that prompted a recall
KiA = Killed In Action
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Ahh, wait. You were looking at a mazda5? Ugly minivan. Don't know crap about it except it burns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#22]
While I like my subaru, it has nearly 150k.  This comes down to $$$.  I'm saving $ with no car payment, but as soon as the car fails I'm losing serious $$ by taking time off work or renting a car to get to and from work.
I totally understand the concept that I can rebuild from the ground up for a LOT less than a new car, but this is a daily driver that simply needs to work.  The subaru is too small and there has been several times in the last few years where I needed a larger car.  While a truck would be nice I also need to fit 4 or 5 people in my car from time to time.  That's where these new 4 door "hatch backs" have seriously caught my eye.  I can haul around 5 people one day and still fold the seats down and move my smoker the next day.  The stupid subaru doesn't even have rear seats that fold down so I can't put anything over about 4' long in my car.  (Oh great... here comes the penis jokes).
As for a new WRX... you're talking to someone that use to drive a supercharged mustang daily.  For the $25k to $30k they're asking for a new WRX I expect A LOT MORE.  My feelings put short and sweet: way overpriced, and way under powered.  I feel all new cars are WAY overpriced... but I find myself needing one.  :(
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#23]
My vote would be for either of the Toyota products.  They should make great commuter cars, be very reliable for many many miles, and get good gas mileage.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a used '03 Matrix for my wife about 9 months ago...has about 44k on the odometer now.

It is the XR, with the upgrade soundsystem etc.

It has been a GREAT car, no problems at all.  Handles pretty good, power is OK, but not awesome...mostly due to the fact that she wanted an automatic ...even still, it runs pretty good, gets awesome mileage and has tons of room...even the front passenger seat folds down, lots of tie downs, power inverter in dash, cool instrumentation, upgrade soundsystem is cool.

We looked at the Mazda 3, and the Subies [my first choice in a wagon, but couldn't find one in our price range] and the Hyundai Elantra Wagon GT. I liked the Mazda, but it was kinda pricey and the reliability just dosen't compare to the Toys and Subies. The Hyundai ran and handled like a motherfucker, and had lots of standard features, and it cost new what we paid for the Matrix used...but I didn't like the cheap feeling of the interior, and I honesly didn't feel too confident in the car.

Ther Focus is CRAP. I know half a dozen Focus owners, ALL of them have had problems...it's a cheap POS IMO. Stay away!

My reccomendation, if you go with the Matrix, is get the 5-speed. While the AWD would be nice, they are hard to come by [around here anyway] and quite a bit more expensive...go with another Subie instead. I haven't driven the XRS Matrix, but we used to have the Celica GTS which used the same 180 hp motor, and it ran like a MF. I have no doubt that it would be a fun ride in the Matrix as well, especially with the 6-speed tranny.

I only know one person with a Scion, the hatchback model [forgot the designation]. She bought it new a few months ago...great little car so far, but it is SMALL. Nopt really in the same class as the Matrix or others as far as interior room...I dunno about getting 5 people in the damn thing. 5 people is pretty cramped in the Matrix too, it is a compact car, afterall...but it can be done.

HTH
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
MATRIX!!!!

My sister has the sibling to the Matrix, the Pontiac Vibe! Coolest little car, has got a ton of storage room and a lot of power for a 130 hp four(you can get a 180 hp fourbanger if you like more power) and you can get AWD.  

If you like the Matrix/Vibe, take a look at the HHR.  The acceleration is less than stellar but its a 4 banger, good storage room, and awesome mpg.  Not to mention very cheap
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Nothing but problems with my matrix, I would avoid them like the plague.  toyota's warranty depart sucks and will try to void it over anything they can.  I haven't owned a Focus, but my friends that have them like them a lot.  Heck, they have been to the dealership much less then my awesome super reliable toyota.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Seventy thousand on my 03 Matrix XRS and not a problem one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I never understood why Toyota wouldn't put the 180hp engine in the AWD model.  You would think that the extra weight of the AWD system would make the more powerful engine a logical choice.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I bought a used '03 Matrix for my wife about 9 months ago.... 5 people is pretty cramped in the Matrix too, it is a compact car, afterall...but it can be done.

HTH

FourStringSlinger,
THANKS!! This is what I was asking for.  I don't know how much I belive the serious falures of the Focus... experience has taught me that no matter how well built a car is, if you drive it like a jerk it will break.  The subies were known to have trans problems also, but there have been a lot of people that drained the stock fluid and replaced with synthetic and have had no problems.  
I've been watching craigslist for a good slightly used Matrix. I've even seen a couple with 6 speed and supercharger pop up, but then I'm going against what I'm looking for.  I'd like the creature comforts, sound system, cruise, fog lights, etc... but I'm not sold yet on auto vs. manual.  I've had an auto for the last 6ish years and I miss the extra control of a manual.  6 speed, supercharger, stupid cold air intakes, 17" wheels and most other "mods" are sooo unnecessary (IMO) for a commute car... but I still find myself looking :)

keving67,
I've never even seen an HHR, thanks for pointing it out.  I'll have to see/drive one.  The thing looks huge, almost suburban size... and it can get 30mpg!  insane.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nothing but problems with my matrix, I would avoid them like the plague.  toyota's warranty depart sucks and will try to void it over anything they can.  I haven't owned a Focus, but my friends that have them like them a lot.  Heck, they have been to the dealership much less then my awesome super reliable toyota.

TELL ME!!!
What problems???  Give me details!!!  
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#31]
ttt

anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#32]
scions are actually pretty nice although underpowered but if you want fuel economy yous gonna have to bite the bullet
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ttt

anyone else?

Get the Suburban.    

Ok, I like my meanie greenie.  It's been really good, other than the battery and the trunk latch (recalls, fixed under warranty).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
scions are actually pretty nice although underpowered but if you want fuel economy yous gonna have to bite the bullet

A TRD supercharger could be an option.  I think it's an extra $3K, but it'll bring the car up to about 200 hp/180 torque.  Not sure how much fuel economy you'll lose, I need to look into it myself.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not buy an AMERICAN CAR instead of those POS imports?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Please let me use this as a sigline!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top