Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2005 3:56:23 AM EDT
i am looking for ideas on how to hide a rifle and a shotgun in a little hunting cabin.  the cabin is a pier and beam structure  that has wood paneling on the walls.  i go there about 6 times a year and once it has been broken into.  he
i would like to keep a pistol and maybe a shotgun there.  i know i can bury them in the ground but i would like to have them more accessible.  so i am asking for a book or ideas of ways to hide stuff in a cabin.  things like the space between the bottom shelf of a bathroom vanity and the floor.  just don't nail down the bottom shelf board and be able to slide it up and get to the between space or maybe a loose piece of paneling on a wall i can pull away and store a gun between the wall studs.  you know stuff like that.  it can be elaborate but i think a simple solution might be the best.  

thanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
A SAFE
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
guns are evil nobody should be able to own them- do it for the children
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
if the cabin has carpet you can box in a space between two floor joists and make a trap door.  just lay the carpet and something heavy like a chest over the door and your good to go.  hide your "cubby" holes in places people don't look like over door ways.  you can use a double plug box as a way to hide a 6" hole in the wall for a gun.  just don't run wire to the plugs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to then put a pistol inside a lamp, and put a rifle against the roof front edge of a closet with a small board to conceal it from below.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you just bring them with you everytime you visit?

If given enough time, and only going 6 times a year sure gives anyone lots of time, the odds of someone finding them or trashing the place sure seems pretty great to me. Plus, what if someone finds them and then you happen up on them, with your guns? I would just bring them with me everytime I came there.

ETA: It also just occured to me that if someone did find the guns and considering how little you visit, it could be quite a while before you were able to report them stolen. So whoever found them would be running around with your guns. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
be sure and boobytrap them if you leave them there...the police like that tactic.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep the guns with you. Don't store them there. Why does an empty cabin need to have readily accessible guns? Are the appliances going to shoot somebody trying to steal them?
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
One of these just inside the front door ought to solve the break-in problem.

Seriously, keep them with you year round.

What's the point in hoping you've done a good enough job hiding them. If you go there six time a year, that leaves someone weeks on end to search through your cabin for whatever they want at a nice leisurely pace.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
in the wall behing a panel, or hollow out and add a fake beam
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#11]
One member told me that hanging the gun inside and above a closet door would be a good place.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One member told me that hanging the gun inside and above a closet door would be a good place.

+1

Nobody looks there.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Hidden compartment between floor joists, under floor board, under a rug, with furniture placed on top.  

Add an empty, cheap, gun cabinet in a visible place for a decoy.  Leave it unlocked and open, perhaps with a half box of .22s, maybe a Red Ryder BB gun.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Take the guns with you. How would you feel if they were stolen and someone was hurt or killed with you gun?
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
put a sign on your door that says "no booze inside"

It's likely teens looking for a drink.

Worked at a buddy's cabin
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A SAFE

No this has got to be the worst idea, the theives will see the safe and be drawn to it. Since you go there about 6 times a year they would have all the time they need to get into the safe without worring about you showing up.

However if you could manage to hide the safe in a wall or in the ground under the floor in a room that would be a great idea.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Inside a (false) water heater.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Toilet tank for the pistol...

I like the hollowed out false beam idea.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Unless your cabin is robbed by plumbing thieves...

ETA: Seriously, just bring the rifle and pistol with you each time. It's not like your are dragging towed artillery with you.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Nobody looks there.

Right.

Except for every burglar that ever lived.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A SAFE

Correction, a HIDDEN safe, under the floor boards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.nsf.org/business/newsroom/plumbing99-1/pvcpipe.jpg

www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/24108_lg.jpg

+1 on the buried cache in PVC.  Cheap and effective.  I use post hole diggers, long handled shovel, mattock, hatchet (stubborn big roots).  It's nice to have the right tools for the job..

I dig my holes about 1' too deep and fill in about 6-8" of loose rock to help drainage.  Cover the hole with a small plywood cap with a rope grab.  All of this should be covered by 6" of dirt and debris.  Absolutely unmarked

I then dig a shallow dummy hole exactly 25' away and along a cardinal direction, I cache a 50 cal can of cheap but useful stuff there. This cache is less well concealed and vaguely marked.  This is the reference for the real cache.  In case a 25' tape measure is not handy, there will be a 25' hank of paracord in the ammo can.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Would these guns be stainless or otherwise able to withstand changes in temperature, humidity, etc.?  I like the below the floor idea, if you must keep some weapons there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Seldom visited cabins are such an inviting targaet.

This little guy in Maine has been broken into and used several times.  Once a neighbor,
who we gave permission to cut some wood, confronted a couple hunters staying in it,
who were shooting skeet off the hillside at the time.  They said they had my permission.
He called me the next day and I said I had no idea who they were, but when he went back
they had cleared out already.

Oddly, most people seem to "use it", rather than steal stuff from it.  A toolbox and firewood
are always untouched.

Just make sure you do something to protect the firearms from moisture.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Neighbor down the road from our ranch had his cabin broken into by illegals. When they were done taking what they wanted, they burned it to the ground. The fire was so hot, it warped his 55-gal metal water drums.

He rebuilt the cabin, fortified it, and added a deer blind tower to it that's about four stories off the ground, nicknamed "the deer blind from hell" because if you have a gun that'll shoot that far and has a proper scope on it, you could hit anything in the valley from that tower.

He's a nice guy, would give you the shirt off his back, but if you don't belong there, you might just disappear and never be seen again. My uncle went one time many years ago (before the cabin burned down) to film birds. We got a phone call from our neighbor saying he'd spotted a long-haired hippie on our land and had him at gun point, did we want him shot and buried somewhere. We're not entirely sure whether or not he was joking or serious.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This little guy in Maine has been broken into and used several times.  Once a neighbor,
who we gave permission to cut some wood, confronted a couple hunters staying in it,
who were shooting skeet off the hillside at the time.  They said they had my permission.
He called me the next day and I said I had no idea who they were, but when he went back

Oddly, most people seem to "use it", rather than steal stuff from it.  A toolbox and firewood
are always untouched.

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ED_P/IMG_1385_sm.jpg

absolutely beutifull, I dream of owning a cabin like that some day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

are always untouched.

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ED_P/IMG_0483_sms.jpg

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ED_P/IMG_1385_sm.jpg

Nice looking cabin.  The broken door is a sad sight.

If someone doesn't want to travel with his cabin guns, I won't argue and understand.

I too like the hollow beam/wall idea.  Such a hiding spot could be used to conceal a steel tube with a combo padlocked cap.  Inside I'd put dessicant with the well oiled guns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the claymore idea it just might solve the problem. Maybe fence the yard and put  a few mean dobermans which are trained to maime & kill. If someone gets inside the fence they become dogfood.  

Either take your weapons with you or bury them where only you would be able to locate them.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#29]
In Missouri, if a cabin can be observed from the river or road, or access is otherwise fairly easy or too many locals know where it's located, it will be looted, probably trashed, and often burned just for the hell of it.

The traditional place seems to be under the floor boards or in a wall, but I would carry the guns back and forth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#30]
This is why my Dad's Lake Home has a sign in the yard that states.
Trespassers Shot Without Warning....................Wanna Call our Bluff?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
need good ways to hide guns in a cabin...

BTDT. Put in a piece of 6" PVC with cap, running horizontally through a basement wall. Looks like a waste clean out. We have had break-ins off and on but no more rifles stolen since then. I guess no one wants to open a shit pipe.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Add an empty, cheap, gun cabinet in a visible place for a decoy.  Leave it unlocked and open, perhaps with a half box of .22s, maybe a Red Ryder BB gun.  

That's the best advice I've read yet.  Make it look like there was a gun there.  NickySantoro has a great idea too, make the PVC look like it has a purpose.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#33]
USE REVERSE PSYC.
hide the guns under a blanket.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a safe.  A big one.  I mean a REALLY big one.

And keep the cabin in it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Seriously, just bring the rifle and pistol with you each time. It's not like your are dragging towed artillery with you.

Don't discount it, near my farm, trailers have been stripped where even the kitchen sink was stolen.  I was lucky, they were nice enough to turn off the water before they stole my washer and dryer.  

I do recommend buying a small safe, but keep it empty or put a cinder block or gunpowder junk in it.  I haul my guns back and forth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#36]
If you're the only one who goes up there, I recommend booby-trapping a box that looks like it has valuable contents in plain sight. 00 buckshot at point-blank range tends to get the message across.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
be sure and boobytrap them if you leave them there...the police like that tactic.

tell me again what the problem is with this?  I just don't understand; it will only spring if the perps are breaking in and since they've already broken the law ...

tough

edit: Schwarzenegger had a problem one time with someone (thief) cutting their hand on Arnolds roof ledge.  Thief sued (but I don't remember outcome )

According to Ahhhhnold, in Austria cementing broken glass into the ledge (walls, roof, etc) is a perfectly acceptable deterrent.

(It was that same way in Peru, where I was born)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Enough with the booby trap / claymore mine bullshit . That kind of stuff will get your
 ass arrested AND you will be sued by the victims if they live .
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
 Enough with the booby trap / claymore mine bullshit . That kind of stuff will get your

Still haven't heard why ...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cause it's the law in most places . The exact same thing happened here some years back .
Neighborhood kids kept screwwing with this old mans house . He rigged a shotgun to the back
door and one of them was shot . I don't remember if he lived or not but the old man was
arrested .          Too many opportunities for an accident . I would never do it myself .
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is against the law. You can't use deadly force to protect property. If you injure someone you better make sure that you were protecting human life at the time, and be able to prove it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If you're the only one who goes up there, I recommend booby-trapping a box that looks like it has valuable contents in plain sight. 00 buckshot at point-blank range tends to get the message across.

If he does, he will have many years with Bubba to reflect on the folly of this advice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd get some radioactive material stickers and put them on a heavy lead lined box, lock it up and hide it under a bed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the problem with a booby trap is that is should be C cup or bigger?

Actually I think it is because it is indescriminate in who it attacks.

If you leave firearms I would leave a bolt action rifle and take the bolt with you and take a part of the handgun as well if you leave a handgun.

I personally hate theives and I live on a street where several people own land they like to just hunt on or might retire to some day.

Most of these people now call and leave me a message if someone is going to be using their place because I normally get a license plate number and call the people who own the land asking if someone should be on the property or not.  I don't take things to extremes since it is easy to get a license plate and a poloroid camera is also nice to have around.

Personally I think a sign in the front yard saying, "this house is armed and dangerous" should be ok.  It would keep theives and solicitors away and keep fireman from kicking in your door and getting shot by the booby trap since you basically said you want the house to burn down since it is too dangerous for others to enter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't discount it, near my farm, trailers have been stripped where even the kitchen sink was stolen.  I was lucky, they were nice enough to turn off the water before they stole my washer and dryer.  

I do recommend buying a small safe, but keep it empty or put a cinder block or gunpowder junk in it.  I haul my guns back and forth.

Near where I leave, last year someone stole a Doublewide off of its lot.
Imagine coming to your deer camp and all there is is a couple of waterpipes sticking up where your trailer used to be.
TS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]
In my trailer , there was just  enough room  behind the kitchen cabinet drawers to store my  sks. It was the only gun i felt i could afford to lose.  It was new in box  when I started leaving it, but after rust  started appearing on the bolt, I stopped leaving it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cause it's the law in most places . The exact same thing happened here some years back .
Neighborhood kids kept screwwing with this old mans house . He rigged a shotgun to the back
door and one of them was shot . I don't remember if he lived or not but the old man was
arrested .          Too many opportunities for an accident . I would never do it myself .

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is against the law. You can't use deadly force to protect property. If you injure someone you better make sure that you were protecting human life at the time, and be able to prove it.

The non-strikethru's are acceptable.

I've learned that man's laws are subject to change, but as long as someone comes up with the right principle then I'll go for that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Nobody looks there.

Right.

Except for every burglar that ever lived.

aint that the truth .

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Can't believe nobody thought of this.  Store your handguns inside a deer head on the wall.  Deer forms are styrofoam with the cape wrapped over them.  Cut out the back of the deer form and hang the head on the wall.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Can't believe nobody thought of this.  Store your handguns inside a deer head on the wall.  Deer forms are styrofoam with the cape wrapped over them.  Cut out the back of the deer form and hang the head on the wall.

someone might take the deer head and find an extra suprise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top