Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2001 6:11:47 AM EDT
I had no response in the rimfire forum, so I'll
try it here.

I'm interested in getting a .22cal conversion for my AR-15. I have a number of questions:
- how does each brand rate; which is best?
Is the USGI issue ok?
- How is reliability and function
- do you have to change your zero when changing
to .22cal (even at closer distance e.g. 25yds)
- What is a reasonable price for NIB conversion
and/or for a used unit?
- Do you have any other info that may help me
with this decision?

thanks for help,
L.P.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned the Colt, and Ciener. My Friend's got the USAF kit.
They are all good.
I think I like the Ciener best.
[url]http://www.22lrconversions.com/riflekit.htm[/url]

I got mine from Brownell's.[url]www.brownells.com[/url]
Ciener Platinium 1911 on left. AR15 kit on right, note magazine and different bolt carrier assembly.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7a/MZ12677.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The right price is 127.00  for the USAF kit including 2 mags.  It functioned well, and the mags are similar to the real thing.  Mine seemed accurate to 50 yards, but have not had a chance to shoot off a bag for accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
My own experience is with the two GI units, and they are both very good. My experience is that they will give you about the same accuracy at 50 yds that you will get at 100 yds with full power ammo, if you've taken the time to try out different brands of ammo and have found the most accurate for your rifle.This is with early 1 in 12" barrels. I'm not sure what the units will do w/a 1 in 7 or 1 in 9 barrel, since I only just built up a heavy barrel gun w/a 1 in 9 twist and haven't tried the rimfire unit in it yet. I lke the Air Force version because the mags are the same size as a GI 30 rounder, and weighted to give the same feel as the GI mag.  Also it's the only .22 unit I know of that holds the bolt open after the last round, just like the full size unit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top