Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 7:21:05 PM EDT
$1249 (minus 5% member discount at WSI) out the door got me the following:
*Colt 20" AR15 A2 HBAR Sporter (green label?) (stamped COLT AR15A2 HBAR SPORTER) with bayo lug, slab-side lower

*1 20-rd USGI mag, 4 30-rd USGI mags

*New DPMS complete pin set

*New DPMS fire control group

*New GI sling

*Cleaning kit

*(No box or manual)

Put 20 rounds through her before leaving the store...can already tell this is gonna be one sweet rifle, worth every cent! Trigger and action far better than my post-ban Bushy Shorty (which I still love and won't give up, though)

------------------
Perp: "Guns make you nervous?"

Kersey: "Guns have their uses. It's IDIOTS with guns that make me nervous."

Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
And best of all....

"It looks good on you"[8D]

If its not a PB colt its just a copy. Gotta luv'em.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
you, mr PAcorps, are a bitch, a mean mean bitch.

J/K, congradulations on the newest member of the family
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a fair deal.  Got my 3rd pre-ban a couple months ago at a gun store.  They thought that the gun was post-ban because it had no bayonet lug.  Traded a post-ban Colt Match Target lightweight for a pre-ban Colt Sporter Match HBAR straight up.  The post-ban did have a Jewel trigger and a titanium bolt carrier, but it was still a steal.

Pre-bans are fun because of all the neat crap you can put on them.  Not worrying about breaking the law allows one to truly enjoy the modular aspect of an AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like GovtThug is jealous.

An AR-15 just looks funky with no flash suppressor.  Besides, the ability to put almost anything you want on it is nice, especially telescoping stocks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my first 2 pre-bans before the ban, and the last for a steal on trade for a post-ban.  I got all 3 for less than you payed for your post-ban.  

PACorps obviously wanted a pre-ban.  His reasoning is personal and if you don't like it, that's your problem.  You like to have money, we like to have guns that make Million Mommers faint.  I didn't say anything about the bayonet lug, did I?  While you were busy flaming a guy for buying a gun that he WANTED, you forgot to read the other posts more carefully.

While I'm putting a REAL M-4 upper and telescoping stock (making a really handy and light camp rifle) on my pre-ban you enjoy your Armalite.

You could have at least purchased a better post-ban, like a Colt, Bushmaster, or RRA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And best of all....

"It looks good on you"[8D]

If its not a PB colt its just a copy. Gotta luv'em.
View Quote

Whatcha smoken44 ?? I do believe that colt copied it from armalite and a Mr. stoner...
It's not like they invented the thing now is it ???
dont pay extra for a pony
[x]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, just got my first one today.

I actually just got it for the lower, and got a good deal for it. So I am totally stoked about it. Not quite the 4 or 5 hundred dollars more than some people claim. More like maybe one hundred compared to an Armalite.

Can't wait to build my M4gery.

And by the way, all this preban bashing cracks me up. What a joke. Like there isn't something else a person could be wasting their time doing than making an issue out of somebody buying a preban. Personal choice right?

And it's not like it's the first time.

BTW, hope you have fun with yours, congrats!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
GT

Whats your problem with PA buying a preban? WTF, you act like he's spending your money.

Its an investment pure and simple. They aint ever going down in price unlike your armalite.

Just think you could sell your armalite and buy an airsoft replica and have an additional $200 in your pocket.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Buttkiss,

Its Colts motto. PA bought a COLT...um.. See the correlation....If not, never mind.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys help out here, whats the big deal about a per-bad AR?

I had one and got rid of it and got a post-ban 5,000 rds of SS109 and a Glock 17.
I still have an AR that will do every thing the other one did not byo lug but if I have a AR I dont't need a lil. knife[:D]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buttkiss,

Its Colts motto. PA bought a COLT...um.. See the correlation....If not, never mind.
View Quote

Well, Smokenpole44, Whatever it may be, its not true, and I dont believe there is a "PB" in that motto either.
And if its like everything else colt, they probobly charge you extra for lookin at their "motto"
[BD]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is it that every time someone mentions getting a preban, some people have to rant about the bayo lug and the flash hider.  Jeez people, if you don't want or can't afford a preban, that's fine, don't buy one, but remember that we are all in this together.  Don't bash others for buying what they want.  I have postbans and prebans, love 'em all.  I personally need a flash hider for my night vision gear, otherwise you defeat the purpose and might even damage the night vision eqpt.  Besides, an AR15 type carbine with a functioning telestock makes a neat little package.

Quoted:
GT

Its an investment pure and simple. They aint ever going down in price unlike your armalite.
View Quote
Don't bash the postbans either, especially the ArmaLite.  They won't lose their value either.  And smoken, it may be Colt's motto, but it is still incorrect.  Colt is a copy.  I know he bought a Colt and I understand the correlation.  We don't need the name calling.  We are all on the same side.  

Hey folks, they are all good, preban or postban.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
i like mine beocuse i can do whatevr i want with it and dont have to worry about hey is that a X part on a post ban. plus I COULD!
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats Paul, sounds like a great deal.

Have to get you out to the next seattle area ar15 shoot...
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats PACorps, welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Good buy! My advice; hang on to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
GovtThug and others...wasn't trying to do any nose-rubbing, and I agree that from a functionality standpoint, post-bans can and do fit the bill.

Why did I do it?  Number one is to have the ability to trick it out however I want, short of my local legistation restrictions.  Yeah, I actually will admit I considered saying, Screw it--I'll modify a post-ban to what I want, but my cajones aren't quite as high on the Rockwell scale as they should be to do it.

I also get a twinge of contentment knowing this kind of weapon (evil features) pisses off the anti's.  But yeah...the bayo lug really serves no purpose, strictly a cosmetic thing.

To everyone else who backed me up on this--thanks!  I'm not too worried about what other people think about it...everyone's choice of weapons is personal, as this one was for me.  Some people own and take pride in crap I think is no damn good (obviously this extends outside of firearms, but does NOT include post-ban ARs), but to each their own.  Buy your guns...shoot 'em...and enjoy the hell out of 'em.

Lord Grey Boots--have we run into each other?  Don't think I've ever mentioned my first name on here before[(:)]

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Hope all you postban guys never have to fire your Ars at night. Preban = Vortex or Phantom(plus collaspable stocks). Your postban can't do everything a preban can.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I "Sort Of" agree with GovThug.

I have a Colt R6551 Blue Label.  I had a Colt Lightweight Sporter tricked out to an M-4 (all Colt)--and sold it.  I decided that it was relatively pointless to have several AR-15 pre-bans for the following reasons:

1.  One Pre-ban lower can have many uppers.

2.  The collapsable stock on an AR is not so much of a folding (i.e.--get the entire stock out of the way) design as it is an "adjust to my size and clothing" type stock.

So, I decided to put the money towards a pre-import ban FNC instead.  That stock REALLY folds up.

I will have one or two pre-ban AR's (especially if I can get them for only a few hundred dollars more than a post ban of similar quality), and one or two post-ban AR's.

The money I save over having 4 or 5 all pre-ban AR's is better spent in getting a REAL pre-ban:

M-16, Vector UZI or converting my FNC's.

AFARR

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought my pre-ban Colt for $750 about three months ago. Hmmmm...According to GovtThug that means a post-ban is about $250. Anyone know where I can get one that cheap? Congrats PA, I love mine. Who cares if you ever use the bayo-lug. It still looks cool. Ive used M-16's in the military for 13 years and wouldn't want anything different than a pre-ban. Im getting ready to buy my second. Maybe one day Ill be like all these know-it-alls and buy a post ban. I hope you enjoy it and piss off the anti's at the same time.

RLTW
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I hear a lot of talk about the bayo lug and the flash hider during the whole pre vs post debate. I was wondering if you can legally put high cap. mag's in a post ban, or are you supposed to only have a 10rd in it???
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hear a lot of talk about the bayo lug and the flash hider during the whole pre vs post debate. I was wondering if you can legally put high cap. mag's in a post ban, or are you supposed to only have a 10rd in it???
View Quote

As long as the mag is a legal preban and not something built and sold after the 94 cut off date such as a mag built for Law Enforcement Officials (LEO marked), it is legal to have in a preban gun. Mags built now usually have a date on them where as before the 94 ban they did not, but there were exceptions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
What's this "ban" everyone keeps talking about?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's this "ban" everyone keeps talking about?
View Quote

Yer kidding, right?

(if not, the answer is 18 USC 922(v))
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#29]
congrats... got my first PB on thursday.
FWIW ... you wanted it,you paid for it, it's yours, and you like it. I fail to see a problem.    Reminds me of another analogy ;
If everyone wanted the same motorcycle, would we ALL have Heritage Softtails or CBR600s ?
Scary thought, huh ?  stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
If you guys want to know why I get all hoped up about guys getting per-ban guns, It's just that the ban is BS and I love nothing more that when I pull up to the range with my post-bun AR will a post-ban flash hider and all the good stuff I want(all post-ban) and all the guys that buy per-ban guns and play the game can't do a thing better that me.

I wish every onme would buy post-ban guns and tell the BATF to kiss off.
This will help to show how full of crap the ban is and how it dose not do jack!

I bet there are a lot of people that think the ban did some good or some thing if they know the same guns are out there then maybe that would help us show we don't need a ban.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you guys want to know why I get all hoped up about guys getting per-ban guns, It's just that the ban is BS and I love nothing more that when I pull up to the range with my post-bun AR will a post-ban flash hider and all the good stuff I want(all post-ban) and all the guys that buy per-ban guns and play the game can't do a thing better that me.

I bet there are a lot of people that think the ban did some good or some thing if they know the same guns are out there then maybe that would help us show we don't need a ban.

View Quote

More power to you for having the rocks to do it and admit to it.

And GovtThug--no harm done at all, man.  I think the whole ban has been the biggest piece of s**t legislation ever.  Like I said before, I just wanted have something with very little restriction on configuration I could feel comfortable doing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

More power to you for having the rocks to do it and admit to it.
View Quote
No, he is claiming that he has all the postban goodies, of which there are NONE.  Postban and flash hider are an oxymoron.  No such thing as a postban flash hider except military and law enforcement.

As for playing the game better than a2car, my preban carbine with telestock sure makes a much smaller package than his postban.  A flash hider is necessary with night vision eqpt, as a postban muzzle brake will blind you and could damage night vision eqpt with the sudden, very bright flash.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I want a bayonet lug on my rifle because it's supposed to be there.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
[left]^[/left]Quoted:

I want a bayonet lug on my rifle because it's supposed to be there.
View Quote
[left]Well said my freind.[/left]

View Quote

Ditto. I love my pre ban Bushmaster. There is an SP-1 in my future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I need to chime in since a month or two ago I didn't see the need for preban either but I just bought a preban.

They really aren't that much more, I paid $700 for a complete Colt lower which is only a $250-300 more then a post ban Colt lower.

I think the Telestock is bad assed, not NEEDED, but a nice feature to have.

I was watching a very interesting feature on the History channel last night on Snipers.  When the best German sniper tracked down the best Russian sniper they pinned each other down.  The Russian sniper then put his glove on a stick and raised it above his head, the German fired AND gave up his position behind a metal plate WITH HIS MUZZLE FLASH, The Russian sniper then killed the German.  I think a flash suppressor would have been worth a few hundred to the German, don't you?

With short barrel ARs the flash suppressor is a big help in battle situations.  If we were talking 7.62 nato, I'd take a muzzle brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top