Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2005 9:15:56 AM EDT
I am in the market for a 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler. I am purchasing it for fun, and snow removal. My driveway is 1400 feet long and need/want a 4 wheeler to plow my lane.
Looking for something RELIABLE, that has some get up and go to it. I am looking to be in the 5K range.

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Honda Foreman 450 S......bought one last year for $5000......it will push more snow than you would believe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Honda 500 Rubicon.

The new ones have a switch to select between 2 and 4 wheel drive, so you can work and play with it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yamaha.  No question about it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. I am undecided between Yamaha and Honda. Does any one here have experience with both? It seems like everything out there is automatic? Do they make bikes with a manual tranny? Are the automatics reliable?

Thansk again,
Sean
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Honda. Had the older Foreman and the newer Rubicon. The Foreman was ten times the machine. It didnt have all the gadgets, and you have to shift yourself, but its was more reliable (and the Rubicon is an extremely reliable machine) and faster with 100cc's less fuel consumption. Every manufacturer is making real porkers these days!

You sure you need 4x4? I dont ride in the snow (thats what snowmobiles are for!) but in rough terrain a 2 by with chains in the rear gets around almost as good, cause its lighter and you can shift your weight to control the machine much more effectively.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Honda Foreman or Rubicon.Whatever you do stay away from anything with a belt drive!
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Honda. Had the older Foreman and the newer Rubicon. The Foreman was ten times the machine. It didnt have all the gadgets, and you have to shift yourself, but its was more reliable (and the Rubicon is an extremely reliable machine) and faster with 100cc's less fuel consumption. Every manufacturer is making real porkers these days!

You sure you need 4x4? I dont ride in the snow (thats what snowmobiles are for!) but in rough terrain a 2 by with chains in the rear gets around almost as good, cause its lighter and you can shift your weight to control the machine much more effectively.

I am pretty sure if I need four wheel drive. We get quite a bit of snow up here in the mountains. A few times last year, there was at least two feet of snow on the ground.

Any one ever have luck with a used machine?
Thanks,
Sean

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Honda Foreman or Rubicon.Whatever you do stay away from anything with a belt drive!

+1 for sure. stay away from polaris
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out southernhonda.com
You didn't say where you were,but I expect it's northerly.
Anway,great deals on '05s, not just at this dealer.They've got Honda 350 4X4s, manual for $3900.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do u say stay away from polaris???  

there just as good as any other make out there. Even better then some.
What experiances have you had with them???  
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#11]
polaris is s1 accept they keep using that stupid belt in the tranny.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Check out southernhonda.com
You didn't say where you were,but I expect it's northerly.
Anway,great deals on '05s, not just at this dealer.They've got Honda 350 4X4s, manual for $3900.

Hey Dave,
I am actually in MD as well. I live on the same mountain as Camp David, just at the tip of Frederick Co, Washington Co, and PA.
Thanks for the link!

Sean
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I should be more specific and say dont get a polaris 500 or any belt drive.  maybe the smaller or bigger ones aren't belt driven.  belts tend to go 'snap'.  I watched a polaris 500, with fairly low miles atempt a moderate incline.  it got halfway up (about 4') and started to smoke.  that smoke was the belt slipping, and it broke on the trail the very next day.  needless to say my honda towed him back to camp.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had my 650 Kawasaki for about 2 years and it's been problem free so far.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Artic Cat. The smoothest, queitest ATV you'll ever find.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Everytime I ride at a big park I always see someone with a Polaris broke down.I just  wouldnt buy one.

My .2
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The belt Smokin on the Polaris 500 you saw Was because of operator error it was not becuse the machine was Faulty It was an electrical short, from the riders brain stem to his brain. He was in high range and that is controled by the Operator It was not a fault of the polaris belt drive system. It is amazing that almost all the manufactures out there have copied Polaris on the belt drive system Except Honda.    As for the most reliable out there Take your chances Even the hondas have slipped in Quality. In a n educated Opinion I would stay at a 500 cc Carbed model The less bells and whistles the better, I own a 700 polaris carbed I have owned more polaris,s then most people have owned cars. i have owned Kawasakie Honda and polaris. If you want some real true info you can get some real unbiased info here www.atvnation.com      

hope this helps  
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
HONDA

Honda's have a bullet proof engine and are built rather simple so there are less things to break and have to fix. I go riding with several people that have Honda's, polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, kaw, cats and Bombardier's and I work on all of them both in the field and in our barn so I will tell you my two favorites are Honda and Bombardier's. I like the Bombers better than Honda's but they are  high dollar. As for an automatic in your price range I would think the Honda 400 Rancher AT may work for you if you really need an automatic. Depending where you are I know where there is a Honda 450ES with a snow plow, Warn winch, Perfex suspension, heated grips, Dyna-Jet carb kit and a factory service manual for only 5000.00 and it only has about 149 miles on it and looks new. I will drop you an IM and see if it interest you.

Seems to me that there allot of us on ar15.com that have atv's so maybe we should have an AR15 Colorado mountain ride this summer, we have some really great trails here.      
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Kawasaki 750 Brute force .  selectable 2 wheel or 4 wheel .. never had a problem with mine... an it will tow my full size dodge quad cab truck with no problems..  Plan on getting the snow blade for mine here in the next week or 2..

COLT!
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Any one here have experience with the Yamaha Big Bear 400?

Thanks,
Sean

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have owned several Hondas over the years and never regreted any of them. JMO
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a 92 Honda Foreman fourtrax that had some electrical issues w/water and cold temps.
I'd buy another Honda, but it would have a back up method of starting and be carbed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Honda.

That said, ANY jap ATV will have a longer life than a Polaris.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Honda.  I own t Honda ATVs and I just got rid of a 1979 Honda dirtbike that still ran great.  The first bike I ever rode was a 50cc Honda mini bike.  It had already been well used by 3 other young boys before our family got it.  Still ran great when we sold it.  I know more than a few people who are riding 20 year old Honda 3 wheelers and not having any problems with them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been very happy with my Suzuki Eiger.  400cc , air cooled, simple, unbelievably torqy engine.  It works very well for what I wanted to do with it.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Honda Foreman 450 S......bought one last year for $5000......it will push more snow than you would believe.

+ 1 on th 450S. I've had three and they are bulletproof. The Yamahas are also great machines.

I had an electric shift, however and sold it. You have to use your left hand to shift, and cannot drive one-handed, which is a problem if you are carrying a gun in your lap, or a kid, or a bucket of feed. Just my personal preference.

I've had 5 Hondas, two Yamahas and a Suzuki with no major maintence issuses.

If you like to mechanic, you'll love Polaris.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I love my 2005 4x4 Honda rancher.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Well,
I just did some numbers w the local dealer on the New 06 500 Foreman 4x4 w/the foot shifter. 5995.00 out the door. Is that a fair deal?
Thanks again for the reply!

Sean
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Irish im just across the border in Delaware. If you travel over here you wont have to pay tax on it. If your looking at hondas check out diamond motor sports in Dover DE www.ridedms.com  I just bough a new quad from them they carry yamaha and Honda. If they have some 05's left you might get a real deal also. I wouldnt be afraid to try the 350 honda rancher it has lots of power.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Go with a 6x6 or an 8x8.  More Useful More versatile.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Arctic Cat 300 4x4, if you can find one. Otherwise get a Honda.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
honda reliability like no other
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should be more specific and say dont get a polaris 500 or any belt drive.  maybe the smaller or bigger ones aren't belt driven.  belts tend to go 'snap'.  I watched a polaris 500, with fairly low miles atempt a moderate incline.  it got halfway up (about 4') and started to smoke.  that smoke was the belt slipping, and it broke on the trail the very next day.  needless to say my honda towed him back to camp.

Tell me how a under 20 horsepower 500 cc ATV could destroy a belt that my 180 horsepower 1000cc 2 stroke mountain eating snowmobile  runs on most of the hillclimbing season?
By the way I do ride a Honda foreman 450es and like it better than the belt drives though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am in the market for a 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler. I am purchasing it for fun, and snow removal. My driveway is 1400 feet long and need/want a 4 wheeler to plow my lane.
Looking for something RELIABLE, that has some get up and go to it. I am looking to be in the 5K range.

Thanks,
Sean

Honda 500

Super strong, best tranny in existence, liquid cooled, easy to operate, plows like a mo-fo, ultra reliable, good ride, good handling, great ergos.

I looked at them all, and ended up with the Ruby. It'll plow my 1/4 mile driveway in 2 passes, once down to the road, once back and it's done. Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for sure. stay away from polaris

+1000
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#37]
It would appear that the general consensus of the ARFCOM hive mind wants you to buy a Honda.

And yes, the $6k price is about right.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Wolverine!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#39]
best looking yamaha 660 grizzz.
powerfull too. i got one of those and a kodiak i wish i had bought another grizzz.
only 1g more
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Honda or Yamaha
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#41]
My buddy just picked up a Polaris 700 MV (MV stands for Military Vehicle)
Makes everything else look like toys.
He paid $6300 for it.
Some guy near him bought out 3 semi loads of overruns and was closing them out cheep.

This thing has run flat tires, two winches, and two gas tanks.
The front rack can hold 150 lbs and the rear holds 300 lbs.
It had D rings all over the place for tie downs.

This thing is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I use a pair Polaris 325's for work (land surveying) and we put about 1500+ miles per year on them carrying about 300-350 lbs (us and our equipment).  Mostly cross-country over very rocky terrain.  Very rarely have a problem.  Just get new tires, oil, etc about every 6 months and you're good to go.

ETA:  Big benefits to the 325-330 as opposed to something bigger are that you can drive it up into the back of a pickup and shut the tailgate.  AND you can physically manhandle it to get it unstuck if you ever bog it down in the mud, roll it over, or wedge it between some boulders... all of which I have done

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Well in the latest Bombardier infomercial , in which they did tests that they said were independantly verified, the Honda scored last in about everything with Kawasaki and polaris right behind the bombardier 800 EFI, which would be my choice.

When they did the sled pull the honda couldn't even move it more than 4-5 feet while most of the others went the majority of the distance.

When I went to a local, large shop that sells most of the brands he said the polaris or bombardier would be his choice as they both are so easy to ride and will, in his words, " make even a novice feel like a pro in some scary situations that would really upset other machines.".....
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Honda Foreman 500
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#45]
How about something like this?  You can find it for sale on this forum:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=308822

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well in the latest Bombardier infomercial , in which they did tests that they said were independantly verified, the Honda scored last in about everything with Kawasaki and polaris right behind the bombardier 800 EFI, which would be my choice.

When they did the sled pull the honda couldn't even move it more than 4-5 feet while most of the others went the majority of the distance.

When I went to a local, large shop that sells most of the brands he said the polaris or bombardier would be his choice as they both are so easy to ride and will, in his words, " make even a novice feel like a pro in some scary situations that would really upset other machines.".....

Ok, so infomercials and salesmen are trustworthy sources of what you should buy?

My Honda Rubicon gets used to skid logs, and I've yet to find a 30' beech log it won't pull. It plows gravel, snow, has pulled out a stuck car weighing 5X what it does from the mud. I don't sled it up to compare it to other quads, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid that anything in its class is a better work horse.

In my town, the largest Polaris dealer in the state switched to Yamaha and Suzuki recently, completely dropped the Polaris line. Polaris, they told me, were more profitable (read: cheap) than other brands, but lemons and bad quads were too common, and Polaris wasn't good about factory support. They were fixing nickle and dime shit so much the service guys were weeks behind all the time and customers were angry. This isn't conjecture, when a huge dealership drops a profitable line, there's something wrong with that machine.

Hondas are universally known as the most dependable quad on the market, I don't think there's even any argument there. I did a ton of research before finding mine, and all it ever came down to was features vs. reliability. Hondas aren't usualy fastest or laid out with the most crap on them, but they run FOREVER.

There are more 20 year old TRX hondas out there still running than you would believe. I still see them all over. How many 20 year old 800ci gadget-loaded Sportsmans do you think will still be running dependably in 2025?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree with the last post. I bought honda after doing some research. I really wanted to find out that the polaris was better becuase i liked it more, but the simple fact is the honda was more reliable, direct drive shaft driven. They say the hondas are more geared toward work vehicles. Read the reviews is all i can suggest. There are a few atv message boards.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks to all who have posted I am working numbers at a few dealerships! I am pricing both the Honda Foreman 500, and the Yamaha Big Bear 400. I would be able to Pay the Big Bear off up front, and really do not want to finance 1500 on the Honda. I may just wait until I have all of the cash and go with the Honda.
Thanks again,
Sean
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#49]
If you are going to use it for work only then Honda is the way to go.  If you want to trail ride with it and be comfortable then get a Yamaha.  I've always had both, still do.  Honda 400EX and Yamaha Kodiak 450.  We had a Honda Forman last year, it was great for doing yardwork, but it sucked for trail riding.  It rode too rough and turned hard, wasnt very quick.  We sold that and bought the Kodiak this spring.  I'm very impressed with it, it rides nice, the automatic is smooth, it pulls my 18' fiberglass boat around better than the Honda did.  I can even ride wheelies on it.

Big +1 on staying away from Polaris.  I've seen way too many of them break down.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Ended up buying a Suzuki Vinson 500, with a warn winch and snow plow
Pics to follow tomorrow, after I pick it up!

Sean
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top