Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 1:49:33 PM EDT
Ever try your hardest to keep things private, especially the fact that you have guns in our private homes. I know I do. But the things that destroy my efforts to keep my guns safe are ignorant things innocent people do to thwart my efforts to guard my privacy. Like the time I went to Florida for a month. I went to Radio Shack and purchased some cyclic timers to turn my radios and lights on and off, to appear like we were at home. When I returned home , there was a stack of religious tracts left at my front door, bidding any thief to come right on in. And the thing that just happened in the mail. Just received a large, clear mailing bidding me to buy a suscription to American Handgunner Magazine. Lots of guns showing (clear pictures) and the like. Come on in, it says, the guns are inside.
 Would this crap trouble you? It should any sane person. I understand the right to load your doorstep and mailboxes with spam and crap; just throw the sh@@ away or hit the delete button. But when it puts my investment and property at risk in my effort at"What they don't know, won't hurt them",then these a-holes have crossed the line.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Where would our Country be today if our forefathers hid their guns under the hay in their barns?  What if nobody made that stand?  

Discretion is the better part of honor, and I think you are wise to prevent obvious signs to those such as common thiefs.  However, a failure to make a public stand on your beliefs and values is a bit selfish.  This Country needs people who will tell their representatives that they are one-issue voters - Freedom.  This Country needs people to act as a deterent to those that would force their will upon us.  This Country needs people who will stand in the General Assembly, talk to others and basically make yourself vulnerable for your beliefs - even if it means personal cost.

While we are wise to keep our belongings somewhat discrete to prevent the incidence of theft, we really need to think of the bigger picture.  I think it's easy to do what's right for you.  It's a whole different issue to do what's Right.  I hope I haven't misunderstood your question.  Posting here pretty much eliminates your anonymity anyway.  Make a stand!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey GS.  We have to meet one of these days.  I live 30 minutes from Ft. Lee, and would have come down to see you guys that were there the other week.  

Never really left - just haven't had much to say.  Long hours at work, first child and life have taken care of the rest :).  Saw your comment about the mount on your jeep - I'm hoping to get one some day,too!  Hope you can make it to the shoot in the Fall.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ever thought of a PO Box?
All my mail goes there...including American
Handgunner.
I get NO (zero mail) at home.  Not even a newspaper.
Mike
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a constant battle for me living in an apt complex. Every time I get ready to head to the range I take the range bag out first and move the car and recon for a few minutes then pop my trunk run in my apt grab the rifle cases look both ways dump in the trunk...repeat process till I got everything I'm bringing. Then coming home take the range bag first etc....One of my neighbors caught me one morning with 4 rifle cases in my hand heading to my car and asked me if I needed any help. I said no thanks anyway I got it. He walked away and gave a strange look turning back. I'm pretty anal "Careful" about this in fact if I call the telephone company or the cable guy I basically cover shit with sheets so they can't tell there's a safe. I do have an alarm system and door & window locks and a couple of really good neighbors who keep an eye out. Plus I got killer here:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=528082&p=18578521&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top