Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/1/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
No, I'm not going to hit on you.  I have a client coming tomorrow that is very very well off.  I'm actually embarrassed to have him over to my house.  My house is pretty modest - its clean mind you but I think his car is worth more.  

I'm sure he'll be polite but I wonder if it'll effect our business.  Patty
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not what you have but how well you take care of it. Rest easy, I'm sure things will go well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Some the welthiest people I know live in tiny houses.  Don't worry about it.  They are usually normal.  I work in the rich area of my town.  It'll be ok.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't sweat it pattymcn.

When someone comes over to your house to do business that's what they're going to focus on, not making a white-glove inspection.

I am a man, and as such my house is always somewhat in a state of chaos.  I figured out that people who come to see me are coming to see me, not the house.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
We are quite well off, but live in a modest home. We driver older vehicles.

There are wealthy people you would never know are wealthy, and there are poor people who appear rich due to crushing debt. I would much rather do business with the former.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
act like you're his equal.

its all about attitude..
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Define "rich".
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I am getting poorer by the minute so I can relate to you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I did save a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
my grandparents are millionaires, however they live in a little shack of a house on a ranch. I literally mean a shack, it was built atleast in the early 1900's and the doors are falling off as well as the wood is rotting. There is nothing fancy about them at all, however my grandpops did manage to buy a new truck every year for himself (along with horses)

ETA: oh and my family and I are by no means rich.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Rich is a relitive term.

I know a lot of people with a lot of expensive stuff, but it is all financed.

I am sure you will be fine.

Truly wealthy people understand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
generally speaking, rich people didn't get rich by caring about stuff that doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
What you are concerned about is not really his money, it is his attitude.

That is character-related more than anything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Rich as in big house, big bank account, fancy new cars? No.

Rich as in lots of loving family and friends?  Also no.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sure that heilo will be along shortly to tell you how rich he is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We are quite well off, but live in a modest home. We driver older vehicles.

There are wealthy people you would never know are wealthy, and there are poor people who appear rich due to crushing debt. I would much rather do business with the former.

I have a friend worth well over a million who still drives a beat up Toyota, and his fanciest clothes are from Walmart.   He never makes an issue of his wealth in any of his behavior.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you everyone, good advice.  I would have been fine if this guy hadn't invited me to his house.  I see your point too.  My grandfather is well off, he has a nice house but he lives very modestly.  The guy is coming over to pick up his dog and to go hunting.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Define "rich".

well.. i hang out on the corvette forum and in the z06 forum guys were discussing the merits of this and that car, porsches, ford gts, vipers etc.. the cost of the z06 (some dealers are selling them for over 100k) and this one guy starts talking about his budy that is buying two buggattis (worlds fastest and most expensive production autos at over 1.2 mill each) one to drive and one to show. thats rich i guess.

then there's people that have their own gulfstreams and a place in aspen and a place in palm srpings and a place in the caribean, and a 300 foot yatch and 300,000 acre buffalo ranch and a small island in the pacific etc...

all relative...
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Patty,

I'm here in Portland, and in the Oregon Hometown forum you just posted you were looking for a job.  Did that come through and you've got clients already, or is this a sidelne?  I don't mean to pry, but seems like crossed signals here on the board.

By the way, the clean house thing works for me.  Anyone who respects their own stuff is probably a good bet for business dealings.  Show integrity and self esteem.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an uncle thats a millionaire. You would never know it if you met him. He still  drives a 1996 Toyota FourRunner w/ 170,000 miles on it. Most down to earth person ever. He worked his ass of for his money, so Im sure thats why he is the way he is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Take the focus off your house by answering the door nekid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Old money doesn’t flaunt it.  So if he is from a historically prominent family he will likely be well mannered and not care about how much anything you own costs.  If he is new money, there is a good chance he will be an arrogant ass hole.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Take the focus off your house by answering the door nekid.

too funny!  

draver I am looking for a job.  I raise dogs and train them and do some guiding but its not enough to support the kidlets.  I'm sorry if that sounds confusing.  I love what I do, I just don't make enough at doing it.

Patty
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife and i have done well for ourselves so far, considering our young age (I am 28, she is 26). part of our wealth has come from our decisions to pay off debt when we could, living in a reasonable home, driving cars that are paid for and being happy with our lifestyle. We could live much more extravagantly, but choose not to. This choice makes it easy for us to enjoy ourselves when we want to, like traveling when and where we feel like.

I agree with the post above about people who appear rich but are burried in debt. I am perfectly happy driving my paid for 2003 base model nissan frontier, and living in a 3 bedroom house that was half paid for at closing ( I didn't want to wipe out everything I have saved all at once).

Luck and timing have played a big part in our financial freedom as well, but nobody wants to know that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't worry.  We try extra hard not to look down our noses at the common folk.  Do, however, offer him a shot of Louis XIII right off the bat....it's almost like a secret handshake.  You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't worry.  We try extra hard not to look down our noses at the common folk.  Do, however, offer him a shot of Louis XIII right off the bat....it's almost like a secret handshake.  You'll thank me later.

And if the store doesn't have any of that on hand will Scornsby Scotch work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]
(1) What's important is your "attitude" (i.e. are you driven to achieve)
(2) What you "have" now is just as important as what you DO in the future. Never compromise your ethics or values.
(3) NEVER WORRY ABOUT MONEY!!!! If you do a superb job in anything you do, the money will take care of itself!!!
GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm debt free and I paid my 30 year mortgage off in 15 years. I have a beautiful wife and two healthy
kids. That's rich enough for me. Now I can start collecting machine guns. My kids don't need no
stinking college edgykashun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Personally, I wouldn't do business with anybody that judged me based on my material possesions. People are puzzled when they find out how much I make - I don't flaunt it by dumping it into a lavish house and keeping up with the Joneses.

I've seen dirt poor people with really clean well maintained houses. I've seen "rich" people with so much crap in their house, you'd need a bulldozer to clean it. If I judge a person's house at all, it's more a determination of the pride they take in what they have. There's no excuse for a total shithole, regardless of income. A well maintained home speaks volumes about one's character, in my humble opinion.

Sometimes, you just never know. My grandfather - God rest his soul - once walked into a Ford dealership in well-worn jeans and a t-shirt (he was working on his property that day). He had a hard time getting anybody to help him. The salesman spoke with a demaning tone. He left and went to another dealership, where he was treated with respect. He pointed to the truck he wanted (brand new F350), and said "I'll take it". The salesman was about to arrange financing, when my grandfather said "No, I'll just write a check." The man whipped out his checkbook, and that was that.

Like I said, sometimes you just never know...(wealthy people are aware of this, so don't sweat it).
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Old money doesn’t flaunt it.  So if he is from a historically prominent family he will likely be well mannered and not care about how much anything you own costs.  If he is new money, there is a good chance he will be an arrogant ass hole.

that may or may not be true. there are no real stereotypes. some real old mega money bluebloods would not be caught dead in plebian settings and would not even speak to you unless you graduated from a ivy league school..

some mega money people you could never tell. i heard sam walton drove around in a late model ford pickup. bill gates used to fly economy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Patty, you'll be just fine. If he's coming over to get a hunting dog and do some killin' he's not expecting an estate. I'm sure that if you're anything like every other woman I know, when you're expecting company, your house is cleaner than it is any other day of the year. The only advice I have is that a little potpourri goes a long way. Makes home a little more "quaint" I guess.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wait............that pretty much describes me.

ETA - it is totally all in the way the person is, if that makes sense.

And I still want a clarification on what is "rich". Personally I don't think being a millionaire makes you rich, my dad is and he still drives a neon, and shops for jeans at goodwill.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Some the welthiest people I know live in tiny houses.  Don't worry about it.  They are usually normal.  I work in the rich area of my town.  It'll be ok.

+1 - Ever read The Millionaire Next Door??

I also agree with the guy who said "define rich".  Some of you would consider me rich, but I don't.  Few of us know any of the people I consider truely rich.  See e.g. www.lcurve.org.  Note: the L-Curve graph represents income, not wealth. The distribution of wealth is even more skewed.

BTW I am not saying the fact that the L-Curve exists is wrong - just that it exists.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Good advice SubnetMask.  This client is very well off but is very nice too.  I've taken him hunting many times but this is the first time he'll be over to my house.  I wouldn't have thought anything of it until I was down at his house a couple of months ago.  

I know he isn't here to see me or my house - just to go hunting and pick up his dog but I'm nuts with insecurities.

Patty
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
No it won't but some 25 year old Macallan and a properly aged and humidified Cuban Montecristo #2 will work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]
You are Rich when you no longer ask "how much is it" wether a piece of gum or a sports car.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Patty,

The word "Client" is what through me off.

Certainly makes sense now.

BTW, good luck with the job hunt.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#38]
When I used to have clients to the farm to drive sled dogs, I would get a
little self conscience of the old appearance of my house and outbuildings.

But after awhile I realized that many of the wealthier clients actually envied
me and my families easy going life style. We all valued our time together and
what we did.

Besides who could afford to fix up the place when I had 51 mouths to feed.

Forty five of those mouths ate 200lbs of food a week.

And don't even get me started on how much the dogs ate

GM

ETA: make him dream of your life  pattymcn, and good luck with everything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Patty,

The word "Client" is what through me off.

Certainly makes sense now.

BTW, good luck with the job hunt.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#40]
At one time I thought that this was rich

and this one guy starts talking about his budy that is buying two buggattis (worlds fastest and most expensive production autos at over 1.2 mill each) one to drive and one to show. thats rich i guess.

all relative...

Then I went on a tour of this guys backyard
www.milvehtechfound.com

all relative... He owns a 100 tanks at a million each. Car collecting is for the people who can't afford to collect tanks.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You are Rich when you no longer ask "how much is it" wether a piece of gum or a sports car.

actually its been my experince that most who wanna appear rich do just that while most that are will give you an exceptionally hard time about the price of the sports car...
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm debt free and I paid my 30 year mortgage off in 15 years. I have a beautiful wife and two healthy
kids. That's rich enough for me. Now I can start collecting machine guns. My kids don't need no
stinking college edgykashun.

We're even on the wife thing and you've got me beat by two kids, but do you wish you'd have squeezed out a 15 year loan? I made that a rule when I bought my house and now I'm less than 2 years away from it being paid off. A rich man makes interest. A poor man pays it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually its been my experince that most who wanna appear rich do just that while most that are will give you an exceptionally hard time about the price of the sports car...

No shit...........rich (genuinely rich) people didn't get their money by pissing it away.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Well I have Mrs Wind and HurricaineAllie...that makes me very rich!
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Who is rich?  One who is happy with what they have.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may be true for the McMillionars that are all over now adays (I call them paper rich) on things like flat screen TV’s and 4 wheelers but few folks walk into a high end car dealer ship and point to a 100k+ auto and say I’ll take it without knowing the price. There’s no doubt that many people with money are just about the worst when it comes to complaining about the cost of something but I don’t consider them “rich” well off yes, “rich” no.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Patty, listen to me girl, JUST BE YOURSELF, simple as that.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Wealth is frequently relative.  What you consider a modest house...millions would consider you filthy rich.

Think of it this way.  Would you rather visit a 1.5 million pigsty or a $85,000 condo?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Not showing off, but I am proud of my hard work.
Ladies I am still single

But seriously Patty, you can rent a small meeting room in a hotel if you would like to impress or a private party room at a 5-star restaurant?

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
At one time I thought that this was rich

and this one guy starts talking about his budy that is buying two buggattis (worlds fastest and most expensive production autos at over 1.2 mill each) one to drive and one to show. thats rich i guess.

all relative...

Then I went on a tour of this guys backyard
www.milvehtechfound.com

all relative... He owns a 100 tanks at a million each. Car collecting is for the people who can't afford to collect tanks.

I've been around many wealthy people - some just so down to earth and nice you'd never know [like this man] and some that would make you hurl after being around them too long.  Most of my clients are well off - after all who's going to pay $1000 bucks to shoot birds?  

before being a senator I worked for a Representative that was fairly well off.  He was born into it and married up.  He told me once that its all realitive.  When he first started working for his FIL he had his own private jet and thought he was pretty big stuff until he flew his jet [or had it flown] down to Vegas to watch a Tyson fight.  He was told in Vegas to get his junk off the runway and park it out back with the twin engines.  Pretty much pulled the carpet out from under him.

Patty
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top