Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2005 3:46:44 PM EDT
where does name JARHEAD come from???  and why US MARINES being called JARHEAD??
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I think it means "empty from the neck up" but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
haircut
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Consider the haircut and the empty from the neck up.  

If memory serves me right, some one made a comment about unscrewing their head and pouring in whatever they needed to know.  But, I could be wrong...

The leatherneck had to do with their dress uniform having a leather collar.  
Devil dogs had to do with the Germans calling them "Teufel Hunden" referencing the dogs of hell for their viciousness.

Call them what you want.  To me, all people that are willing to put on the uniform of the armed forces of this nation are patriots and heroes.  Whether or not they serve in combat or in the rear, in a time of peace or a time of war.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
haircut

Damn, you got that in while I was typing....
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ARE wrong, dogface! From this point on, we'll just assume that. Just kidding....seriously though, I believe it originated from the "high n' tight" haircuts that became popular among Marines (and probably other personnel) in the post-WW2 era.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sailors would give head to shipboard Marines and spit the ejaculate into a jar to later put on their corn flakes. This act of satisfaction at sea was called "Jar Head", as were the Marines for whom sailors performed the service. The tradition carries on to this very day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ARE wrong, dogface! From this point on, we'll just assume that. Just kidding....seriously though, I believe it originated from the "high n' tight" haircuts that became popular among Marines (and probably other personnel) in the post-WW2 era.

high and tight originated with Rangers.  You guys copied it.  Don't get that wrong again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
We were told while I was in the 82nd that we couldn't call them jarheads anymore. Science had discovered that in fact you could put a brain in a jar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sailors would give head to shipboard Marines and spit the ejaculate into a jar to later put on their corn flakes. This act of satisfaction at sea was called "Jar Head", as were the Marines for whom sailors performed the service. The tradition carries on to this very day.

Hahaha, sounds about right!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've heard lots of gross, disgusting stuff on here, but that is by far the worst. . .
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Damn I hope you didn't think of that yourself....have you been in Prison???
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know why the Navy has Marines on thier ships?

Sheep would be too obvious.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

high and tight originated with Rangers.  You guys copied it.  Don't get that wrong again.

Or what? You gonna shave my head and send me to Parris Island? You are probably correct, but I'm not sure how to take your tone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You scare me...
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Dang, I thought it was Japanese for "Fucks shit up good."
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Jeez, where are the grammar and spelling nazi's on this one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

u should join the NAVY..so u can suck Marines xxxx!! and put the ejaculation in the jar..so u can give the jar to ur mama for x-mas!!......she would love it!..u r FAG! telling the BS story/joke
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Offer evidence. Real evidence and not Marine envy Ranger B.S..
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Same place as leatherneck, the leather collars that used to be on some of their uniforms. Leather seals were used to seal jars at one time. Hence jarhead.

We used to put a sign up over the urinals when we expected marines to be around. Attention, Marines. Do not eat the big white cookie.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know, but I do like those Air Force women.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha, sounds about right!

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]

because of the distinctive Marine hairstyle "high & tight" just like a jar lid
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
It's from the cover we wear.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We used to put a sign up over the urinals when we expected marines to be around. Attention, Marines. Do not eat the big white cookie.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

Ha ha ha ha ha,thats a good one! Hey, I just quoted the Raven. Who'd a thunk it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]
High and tight haircuts existed well before the Army Rangers.

The Ranger regiment of today were actually formed at the end of Vietnam to quote Creighton Abrams to "out Marine, the Marines"
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#30]
So much Marine envy in here :)  Reason #828129 why I joined the Marines.

Semper Fi

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I like to make fun of Marines, even though my Grandfather (WW2 Pacific vet) and my brother were both Marines.
In all honesty though, I've worked with Marines in combat, and if they were a little smarter, and not so scared of heights, they MIGHT be able to make it as a paratrooper.
Won't be any time soon though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The term "Jarhead" is derived from the high-collared uniform Marines wore back in day.  The collar was reminiscent of the top of a mason jar.

The term "Leatherneck" is derived from the leather collar Marines used to wear to protect against saber slashes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
All these haters are jealous because they are not one of the few and the proud.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I always thought jarhead meant because their heads looked like square's.

It is either the haircut or they are forced to wear a square shaped helmet all day and that over time their head actually turns into a square.

Thats what I always thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Offer evidence. Real evidence and not Marine envy Ranger B.S..

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

u should join the NAVY..so u can suck Marines xxxx!! and put the ejaculation in the jar..so u can give the jar to ur mama for x-mas!!......she would love it!..u r FAG! telling the BS story

ROTFLMAO!!!

Damn that was a good one!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

u should join the NAVY..so u can suck Marines xxxx!! and put the ejaculation in the jar..so u can give the jar to ur mama for x-mas!!......she would love it!..u r FAG! telling the BS story[/quote]

ROTFLMAO!!!

Damn that was a good one!

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Do you know why the Navy has Marines on thier ships?

Sheep would be too obvious.

Sea Going Bellhops?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

Ha ha ha ha ha,thats a good one! Hey, I just quoted the Raven. Who'd a thunk it?

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Uncle
Sam's
Mouldy
Crotch

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Y'all must be A.R.M.Y.

Aint
Ready for the
Marine Corp
Yet
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Y'all must be A.R.M.Y.

Aint
Ready for the
Marine Corp
Yet

I was never army.  Get that straight

But you did get ARMY correct.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

why US MARINES being called JARHEAD??

Because they are.  Ever looked at their hair cuts?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Ludwig Spit-in-stein:

And you learned this HOW?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Ludwig Spit-in-stein:

And you learned this HOW?

probably his Boyfriend  is in Navy
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well, when I have my hair high-and-tight, it looks like you could screw my cover on...

That was what I was told..... combination of the high and tight haircut and a squared away cover looking "screwed on"

No Expert

USMC 86-90
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I had heard that at some point in time the Marine cover had a thin 'plate' (lid) in it to give it the shape that it had, hence jarhead.  Might just have been bs though.  
Do you know why the Navy has Marines for a guard force and the Air Force has German shepards?
The Air Force got first pick!
Marines...got to love 'em!  OOORAH!!! boys!  Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Y'all must be A.R.M.Y.

Aint
Ready for the
Marine Corp
Yet

US Army

Uncle
Sugar

Ain't
Released
Me
Yet

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I was told that the term Jarhead originated in the Corps back in the days when mules were still used. As anyone who has ever watched an old western movie knows, mules were often referred to as Jughead. The oldtimers insisted that Marines also referred to their mules as Jughead and/or Jarhead. Over time, certain stubborn or hard to deal with Marines were also called Jarheads.

Jarhead and jughead eventually merged to become slang synonyms for marine. Jughead was originally used to refer to members of a machine-gun company in WWI. Before WWII JARHEADS was already in widespread use.

Dictionaries and military history websites seem to give varying explanations for the origin of JARHEAD.

A U.S. Marine. Perhaps from the shape of the hat the Marines once wore. (American Heritage Dictionary of English)

A slang term used by sailors as early as World War II to refer to members of the Marine Corps, drawing the term from the resemblance of the Marine dress blues uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar which at the time was made from blue glass. (military history website)

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

USMC 1989-1997
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Y'all must be A.R.M.Y.

Aint
Ready for the
Marine Corp
Yet

Uncle
Sam's
Misguided
Children

Go Coast Guard!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top