Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2001 2:07:21 AM EDT
Hi everyone,
  I'm fairly new to the mechanics of the AR-15 and was wondering if someone could point me to a good beginner's site on the AR-15? I couldn't find any sites that described in good detail exactly how the rifle operates and functions. If you could describe it for me here, I'd also appreciate it. Anyway, I also have some random questions:
1. Does the bolt protrude slightly from the front end of the bolt carrier assembly when it is locked to the barrel extension?
2. After the gas goes through the carrier key, does it strike the front end of the bolt gas rings? Is that what primilarily causes the bolt carrier to recoil back?
3. What causes the bolt to rotate to lock with the barrel extension? What causes it to unlock (the cam pin)? How?
4. Does the extractor act somewhat like a pivot point as the empty casing is ejected?
Well, thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could spare some time to help out a clueless newbie!  

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Please guys...any help??? I want to know something for sure before I snooze...
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Newbie questions? Who is this, really?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 3:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
This might help a little.

[url]www.combatsimulations.com/ar15/howworks.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top