Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/15/2005 8:37:28 PM EDT
This seller on eBay says that the government is cracking down on sales of MRE's because they are government property, and marked as such....

cgi.ebay.com/US-Military-MRE-SAMPLER_W0QQitemZ8709523907QQcategoryZ62118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What's that all about?
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Been that way for about 4 or 5 years.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll buy them anyway and there's nothing they can do about it.That vendor is just trying to boost its sales.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, because they are infact stolen property.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

WELL, they were bought with my tax dollars, so are they really?  Since when did the government "own" anything, instead of the government representing the real owners, the citizens of the USA?

Boy, I'm in an argumentative mood tonight....
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WELL, they were bought with my tax dollars, so are they really?  Since when did the government "own" anything, instead of the government representing the real owners, the citizens of the USA?

Here we go..... popcorn is popping!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we should be able to borrow any of our equipment(m16,249,icbm,40wattrangeplasmarifle) we want, but it's still illegal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

These MRE's are not stolen.They mean liscensed vendors who sell MRE's to the general public instead of government agencies.It's not like 5 guys in sky-masks stole them from Uncle Sam and are now selling them black-market style on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea!  Checking cupboard.....

SHIT!!! I'm out of popcorn.  Not good, not good at all.  If the SHTF, I'm totally screwed....
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These MRE's are not stolen.They mean liscensed vendors who sell MRE's to the general public instead of government agencies.It's not like 5 guys in sky-masks stole them from Uncle Sam and are now selling them black-market style on Ebay.

Actually alot came from military bases, suspiciously.
The MRE's that are sold to civilians are not the same as sold to the military anylonger AFAIK.
Now there are ones that have been released by the military,  IE surplused.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, keep in mind that whenever someone spends a screen and a half trying to tell you how something is evil and wrong and ONLY THEY have the magic password, you're probably in need of some hip waders.

The short answer is the .gov has tried to make MREs a non-surplussable, non-resalable commodity since 1997.

The long answer, about which much more detail can be found at www.mreinfo.com is that they tried to cease-and-desist the Ebay resellers of MREs and found out it was darn near impossible.  The direct url for this info is www.mreinfo.com/mre-ebay-govt.html

The basic problem now is that the .gov now gives the things away after every Natural Disaster.  Heck, we had full 40' trailers of the things in Baton Rouge.  (Still do in fact.)  There is no reasonable way for them to determine now if an MRE was misappropriated, stolen, sold illegally, sold legally(retired .mil can buy them at the PX/BX), given away legally, etc.  If you read the letters they sent out to the eBay resellers (available at previous URL) they are now just asking nicely to not sell them.

So, I have bought from eBay merchants before, gotten nice fresh cases of MREs, and not sweated if the .gov was going to come want them back.  Of course now Baton Rouge is practically drowning in the things so...

Futuristic

P.S.  I recommend the Veggie Burger.  Mmmm, good!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually alot came from military bases, suspiciously.
The MRE's that are sold to civilians are not the same as sold to the military anylonger AFAIK.
Now there are ones that have been released by the military,  IE surplused.

Even if they "suspiciously"came from military bases,I'll still buy them.If Uncle Sam shows up and says he wants them back,he can have them.NOT!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Buddy of mine is a NG Captain.  As of about last summer, they were making the officers buy their own MREs for field maneuvers on drill weekends and during the 2 week training periods.  Apparently, they also got more strict as to how many were handed out, etc.

I still see them for sale at gun shows, etc, usually way over priced.  I get mine from Sportsman's Guide for about $40 a case of 12.  Are they in gov't packaging?  No, but essentially the same deal.

And not bad tasting, either, especially when you're hungry.

VJ
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are in the service, you can usually buy them for exercises.  It's your choice whether you eat them or not.  I stockpile them.    In the 2nd pic, there's a few in the background...and a case in the box behind the ammo.  

"Commercial Resale is unlawful"

Doesn't say anything about private sales.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you are in the service, you can usually buy them for exercises.  It's your choice whether you eat them or not.  I stockpile them.    In the 2nd pic, there's a few in the background...and a case in the box behind the ammo.  

"Commercial Resale is prohibited"

Doesn't say anything about private sales.

members.aol.com/justinok34/mre.jpg
members.aol.com/sensasstcweb1/AmmoAll_1.jpg

Someone's ready for WWIII!SWEET!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Someone's ready for WWIII!SWEET!

Just compensating...   wait...   shit...    I mean, thanks  
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 12 cases in my truck here in Biloxi - Anybody wanna make an offer?  

Edit: I'm kidding, we still have a lot of hungry people in rural Harrison Co.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
This whole "no resale" thing is BS anyhow.

I can understand Uncle Sugar getting pissed off if people are breaking into warehouses and stealing pallets of MREs for resale.

However, when I was in the service I was issued MREs as part of my rations. In other words, part of my pay included MREs.

Troops who were on 'seperate rations' (Uncle Sugar gave them extra pay so they could buy their own food) actually had to PURCHASE their MREs prior to field exercises (Uncle Sugar cut part of their seperate rats pay in exchange for issuing them MREs).

Do these people really expect me to buy into the notion that troops who were forced to purchase MREs from the government aren't allowed to sell any unused rations in order to recoup their money?

Puhleeeeeze...
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand why the Gov would care about surplusing MREs that are near the end of thier useful shelf life. I can see how they dont want troops Misplacing pallets of good MREs for personal gain. but Why the hell not send the old ones to GL With all the other gov stuff that is no longer useful?
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The real problem is that MRE's are provided(supplied) to the inlisted troops,and officers are required  to purchase thiers!!!!

So the Government says that no government MRE's can be purchased from any individueal that cannot produce evidence that they are not an officer!!

The troops are (highly)encuraged to turn thier left-overs in!!

People like me and you(tax payers)have allready paid for them!!!

So After Karenna hit you couldn't even order any!!!

I bought two cases for 50.00!

I find out now they are selling for 5.99 apiece!!!  sixty nine dollars a case(12)!

Thats what has happened to the MRE'S!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By that logic, you may as well head over to the motor pool to claim your M1 Abrams.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I got 6.5 cases left that I got from the distribution centers after Katrina.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I don't understand why the Gov would care about surplusing MREs that are near the end of thier useful shelf life. I can see how they dont want troops Misplacing pallets of good MREs for personal gain. but Why the hell not send the old ones to GL With all the other gov stuff that is no longer useful?

They don't surplus them for food safety reasons!  Ever seen(or smelled) a bad MRE?  Not pretty!  The dates are just a guideline, and really mean nothing depending on how or where the MRE's were stored prior to use.  If they surplus them, and Joe Schmuck buys a case and feeds his family and they get sick, then the .gov or the manufacturer may have to deal with litigation.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I got 6.5 cases left that I got from the distribution centers after Katrina.

And just what do you intend to do with these?  IM  Me  okay?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't surplus them for food safety reasons!  Ever seen(or smelled) a bad MRE?  Not pretty!  The dates are just a guideline, and really mean nothing depending on how or where the MRE's were stored prior to use.  If they surplus them, and Joe Schmuck buys a case and feeds his family and they get sick, then the .gov or the manufacturer may have to deal with litigation.

I have!!! Chicken Al La King! Was like holding week-old roadkill,had a helluva time getting rid of the smell. My section(AV Fuel) never ate them,always gave them away,and we would visit Wallyworld before going off to exercises(ravioli,beef stew,ect......)
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Howcome I've never seen them for sale at any PX or commissary I visited? Are they supposed to just be on the shelf?
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't worry about it too much.... Prior to Katrina and Rita, there were quite a few contract overruns and surplus MRE's that were on Ebay. Government ain't got no say in how they get sold..

As I posted in an EE ad where some weasle stomped on an MRE sale post: Fuck 'Em! I pay big-ass taxes while welfare rats and ghetto goblins breed to extinction. They already tell me that there will be no social security for me by the time I retire, and I've already paid for the MRE's that the military gets. If they want their damn MRE's back they can have them when I am done digesting them.

Well, that was the polite version anyway.

Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Only the company that produces them can legally sell them into commercial channels (production over-run, run failed quality inspection, etc).  The problem's the military supply guys taking cases home with them, not an enlisted guy taking home an extra two every FTX.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Howcome I've never seen them for sale at any PX or commissary I visited? Are they supposed to just be on the shelf?

+1 Where do you "Find them at the BX".
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see them for sale about once a month at Fort Sam and Randolph AFB.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Years ago they had a shelf at the comissary that had issue coffee, peanut butter etc. I have not seen that in a very long time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where? in the comissary? I have not seen them at either place
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just bought some from the Travis AFB commissary. They were $6 each.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not always.  See my post above.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I've never seen them at the commissary.

However, the real answer was not covered...

Uncle Sugar is wasting taxpayer dollars, again!

Here's why: the feds do not allow their contractor to produce units for the open market. THus, cost of goods is very high. There is no reason for this as there is no patent involved, no secrecy, or classified information. Simple economics 101 dictates that it is cheaper (per unit) to manufacture a million versus 100,000. Prices go down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it should not be considered stolen, unless infact we personally when into US Govt. storage and stole them.

They are not stolen if you were given them by the US Govt. directly.
Such as being a soldier, EFF, or other Govt./State employment where you receive them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At Fort Sam they sometimes have them in a wooden shelf over by the bread/bakery - looks like they just put them there.  Other times I've had to ask where they are - seems like there's no rhyme or reason to their placement.

At RAFB, they would have them near the place where the dented cans, outdated but good stuff was - those shelves just inbetween the plastic bags and the detergent section - by the cigs - hard to describe.  This si before the remodel.  One time they had them in a stand as you walked your way through the lanes to get to the registers.   Often had to ask here to as to where they were, as they moved them.  I haven't been in RAFB Comm in about 2 months.

About a year ago, I restocked about half my MRE stash from both Comms - about 3 cases total.  Many times they had the ones I wouldn't feed to the dog, though.

Bottm line...seems like it's sporadic and you never know where they will be displayed, but sometimes they're available.

I may go tomorrow - I'll let you know what I find if I do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nope not stolen, I PAID for mine as I recieved seperate rations. I paid at the Mess Hall as well. The single guys in the barracks got a mealcard for the mess hall.

You get 3 a day you eat 2 a day if you aren't humping a mortar tube daily. Thats where most of these surplus MRE's come from. Yes the .gov bought them, but I was given them as part of my compensation for my service. This is not the "Commercial Resale" mentioned on the bag.IMHO
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've never seen them at the commissary.

However, the real answer was not covered...

Uncle Sugar is wasting taxpayer dollars, again!

Here's why: the feds do not allow their contractor to produce units for the open market. THus, cost of goods is very high. There is no reason for this as there is no patent involved, no secrecy, or classified information. Simple economics 101 dictates that it is cheaper (per unit) to manufacture a million versus 100,000. Prices go down.

Uh, they're allowed to produce them for the open market, they just have to use a different outer bag than the military version (due to the "civilian resale illegal" note), at least 2 of the primary MRE manufacturers make civilian MRE equilvalents.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just called the RAFB Comm, and they said they haven't had them for sale in "years."  My experience shows otherwise.  

Can't get anybody to answer at Ft Sam - as usual.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#40]
MRE's are not illegal to build.
There is not an ATF ruling on this.
Anyone can build an MRE.

Oh, BUY an MRE....
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Buy it Now!
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Can you buy California Compliant MREs?

You know, the ones without hot sauce?
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I beleive taht you are wrong.  Those intended for sale to the general public are packaged differently.  The boxes of the goverment issued MREs  are clearly marked.  The plastic package is brown.  The civilian item is in a clear plastic bag.  
Teh were a couple of people advertising them for sale on AR-15.com.  They were clearly government issue.  Came from NO/Texas if I'm not mistaken.  One of the people said they were on their way back to NO.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I never had trouble getting them at Barksdale AFB.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Typing 'MRE' into the search at Ebay gives 325 hits.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how much do they cost?  My dad's retired Mil.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#47]
These Sparkco civi MREs.  Do they come sealed in bags like the mil ones?

Yes, I know they have less calories and salt, but more than likely I won't be in constant combat ops and I can use my .mil ones if I find myself fighting.

Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#48]
My brother-in-law hates them.  So he saves pretty much everyone he gets for me.

I need to start eating mine before Christmas, although he probably won't have as many for me this year since he hasn't been in the field as much.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny that you should say that, I have MRE's that I am slowly eating up, using them for lunch, that are from the early 1990's at least!

The shelf life is waaaay longer than posted if, IF, you keep them in a cool , dry, Midwest basement.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny that you should say that, I have MRE's that I am slowly eating up, using them for lunch, that are from the early 1990's at least!

The shelf life is waaaay longer than posted if, IF, you keep them in a cool , dry, Midwest basement.

so how do you tell if they are bad and you are going to get sick by eating them?  Are the older ones that are in the dark brown plastic instead of the light brown plastic too old to be eaten?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top