Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2001 3:16:24 PM EDT
My parents just moved down there and my dad wants to buy some new pieces.  Any special state permits?  He lives in Bervard County.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No special trick. Show up with your money, do a 4473 and FDLE instant check. Long guns go home the same day, unless you are in Miami-Dade or Broward County. Then you get five days to figure out what targets you wanna buy, or load some ammo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks cerberus.  If he gets a CCW permit, does that change anything?  Still have to wait 5 days for pistols?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks cerberus.  If he gets a CCW permit, does that change anything?  Still have to wait 5 days for pistols?
View Quote

If you got a CCW you walk ouf of the store with a big smile and a package under your arm. It's really the way to go, particularly if you are getting several pieces. A Florida CCW is fairly cheap, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No special trick. Show up with your money, do a 4473 and FDLE instant check. Long guns go home the same day, unless you are in Miami-Dade or Broward County. Then you get five days to figure out what targets you wanna buy, or load some ammo.
View Quote

In Broward county long guns go home same day. Same in Dade county.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely get the CCW. It makes life a lot easier buying guns, ammo, or entering ranges that require safety classes.

Their office number is 850 488 5381 and they should be able to email the regs to you or provide a link

There's a law the requiring background checks on private sales in South Florida. I don't know if brevard county has anything similar.

If you get the chance take the Hunter Education class put on by the state. It was free and blackpowder guns were surprisingly fun.

hth

Heavy
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Cerebrus, that is Wal-Mart's Policy NOT State Law. Personally, I don't buy guns from Wal-Mart for that very reason. In fact, the Wal-Mart in North Lauderdale (Broward), FL requires a person to be 21 to buy Shotgun or Rifle Ammo. I've not bought a gun there, but I never saw anything posted to that effect when I was in several Gun Shops in Broward. I've bought in Orange (Gun Show), Seminole (Gun Shop), and Volusia (Pawn Shop) with no problems. Simply fill out a 4473 and pass the NICS and your set to go. But, I believe Palm Beach counties has special Storage Laws requiring Gun Locks. I also heard that Flagler county bans certain ammunition ("Cop-Killer Bullets".) The Gun Show in Orlando was my sweetest buy. If you get the chance go to a show, you will not regret it. They have 'em every so often at the Central Florida Fairgrounds in Orlando. That's about 40 mi. from Cocoa. Not sure where you are in Brevard though. If you're in Palm Bay, you might consider heading to shows in Palm Beach. Watch out for price gouging at Gun Shops. Many gun shops in Florida think they can get exhorbitant prices. If you don't mind waiting, Wal-Mart has great prices for longguns. There are some good shops in Sanford (Seminole), if you have the time. I've bought from Central Florida Pawn and Gun in Orange City (Volusia) and the Woman there was very nice and helpful. Last time I was in, she wasn't there. Not sure if she was just off or what. There was a shop in Fort Lauderdale (Broward) I went to, and I asked the guy if they had any rifles for under $200. I was including .22s in that. He responded that there was no such thing. In fact, most of his guns were way over priced and he was asking at least $200 for .22 Rifles. There was a small shop in Tamarac (Broward), FL called Gun Site or something like that that had decent prices for hunting rifles, but the guy there was kinda rude and unhelpful. Last time I checked, they weren't there anymore. In Orlando (Orange), FL on the OBT south of 50, there is a place called Rieg's. I was there the other day and there prices are reasonable and the guy was really nice and helpful. They also have a range on site. If you want to shoot, the SCGAA (Seminole County Gun and Archary Association) has a nice range. Public Day is the first SUnday of the month. Their website is [url]http://www.scgaa.org[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry guys, both Miami-Dade and Broward make you wait 5 business days (weekends don't count) for anything that shoots, long or short. Miami-Dade does not require NICS on private purchases UNLESS the purchase happens at a gun show. I have never seen it, but I have heard they send trolls in to see if some guy will make a hand-over private purchase at a gun show. Caveat Vendor! (seller beware).

Brevard County is supposed to be one of the cooler places, but you can see right here in this thread that there are so many different locals codes it is hard to sort it all out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If I remember correctly didn't someone get in trouble by going outside of the convention center in Miami to make the deal. Something about the show facilitating the sale or proximity to the facilities?

I've seen others get in trouble at that show. What I really hate are the postban lower preban upper sellers who are knowingly gouging or entraping you. What is the deal with the bargain trader not allowing private gun sale ads yet allow pawnshops to have full page spreads of firearms?

Heavy

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Another something to consider in the Sunshine State. Even if you don't need your weapon when you're out of your vehicle, and I hope you never do...you will have the peace of mind that they can't steal your gun from your unattended car...if you're wearing it legally concealed.
my 2 cents. stay safe and welcome to your Pop.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
In my neck of the woods,....Long guns go home when you pay for them,....Handguns have a 3 day wait.  BUT....If you have a CCW, or a trade in, OR proof of ownership of another handgun.....the wait period is waived.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top