Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2005 8:09:43 AM EDT
This has happened to me almost twice. I live in PA but am always going back to NJ to visit family. Once there was traffic on the highway and I almost took a short cut to get around it that would have taken me back into NJ, my 12 year old son says "dad, what about your gun?" thank God he reminded me.

Anyways, what would happen if I did get caught in NJ with a loaded CCW. Does the PA permit get me out with just a fine or am I going away for a simple mistake? I know NJ doesn't honor PA permits, I'm asking if the fact that I do have a legal CCW in another state would get me around the weapons charge. Friggin scary...let me tell you. Wish I could stay the hell out of that state for good.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I've very careful about that.

I do keep a gun case and padlock in the car for crossing state lines

what would happen if I did get caught in NJ with a loaded CCW. Does the PA permit get me out with just a fine or am I going away for a simple mistake?

probably up to discretion.   Get someone with a hard-on for burning you, and you'd be in deep do-do
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't happen in Colorado too much because I am 300 miles from a non-CCW state but I do have to worry about National Parks.

I want to install a lock box in the truck since Ford didn't design one in.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
sure
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You should know the answer to this question before you put the key in the ignition.

www.packing.org/
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope... I know the laws in each state I drive through.

Which means once I leave MI I pretty much stash it in the back but there is no way I'm going to go anywhere 100% unarmed when I'm traveling (if I can help it).
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
sure

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Folks - in the Northeast - it's VERY EASY and VERY COMMON to cross State lines.

I do it many, many times weekly, as does my wife.

It's NOT like living in a Michigan (grew up there), Indiana, Colorado, etc....
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, in the NE, you can cross many of the state lines without even knowing it.  In some locations, you can only get from one section of town to another by crossing into a neighboring state (especially on the NH/ME and RI/MA borders), unless you want to go 10-15 miles out of your way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, on the last road trip I went on we purposely took a slightly longer route just to stay in states that we could carry in.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Never!  I am always aware.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Folks - in the Northeast - it's VERY EASY and VERY COMMON to cross State lines.

I do it many, many times weekly, as does my wife.

It's NOT like living in a Michigan (grew up there), Indiana, Colorado, etc....

Yeah I know what you mean... I have to drive East for 4 hours before I hit Idaho.  And they recognize Washington's CPL.  Then I hit Montana, and they also recognize a WA CPL.  And those are pretty much the only states I drive through .
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah I know what you mean... I have to drive East for 4 hours before I hit Idaho.  And they recognize Washington's CPL.  Then I hit Montana, and they also recognize a WA CPL.  And those are pretty much the only states I drive through .

Ditto... and Wyoming is to my south so that direction is cool too. I will admit that I don't know the EXACT laws of the states around me, but I do know that they are all CCW-friendly. Plus, I just got my CCW a week ago and haven't traveled since then.

I am flying to CA this weekend! But I won't be carryiong (obviously). Thought about checking my pistol and taking it, but it's just not worth the hassle to me. My Kershaw pocket knife will have to be my go-to defensive weapon while I'm on foot in San Jose I guess.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, all of the time.  I shop in WA state and forget.  Typically I'll be in Hermiston [right across the river] and not find what I need and zip up to the Tri Cities and never pay it any mind.

When I drive to Idaho or Montana I'll try to remember to put my CCW in its case.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
No, I pretty much always did it on purpose.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#15]
State lines, no problem do it all the time, but I have to be real careful I don't carry when going into Mexico, that could be a huge problem.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a problem for me… all states bordering TN recognize TN permits. Every state to the south until you get to NM recognizes TN permits.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I've forgotten several times. On back roads, the border isn't even marked.

Always wondered what could have happened.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Never! I am always aware.

Well that's my motto too, in fact I am always on my son for not being aware of everything. And yet I almost did it twice. You don't realize how easy it is to do in this area unless you live around here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I was driving around Seymour Johnson AFB one time and it hit me. Oh crap, I got my gun on me. I left shortly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#20]
This is Texas I can be in international waters faster than I can reach a state line.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok...so now that others have done it too, I feel better. But seriously what can they do to you? Can they throw you in jail for 5 years for illegal possesion? Would they really fuck up your life like that for a simple mistake?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ok...so now that others have done it too, I feel better. But seriously what can they do to you? Can they throw you in jail for 5 years for illegal possesion? Would they really fuck up your life like that for a simple mistake?

Coudl they? Most certainly.

You broke the law. Excuses are like assholes.... we all have em.

You might be able to get the officer to let you off, or get the charges dropped in court.

but basically, you broke the law. you're no different than joe gangbanger who illegally packs his jennings.

I think it's bs that a simple mistake can fuck things up that badly, but that's the way it works nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All depends upon whether you're dealing with a rational LE or a JBT. A rational guy would see that you are from a CCW state and just send you on your way with a warning not to do it again. A JBT would play a power-trip on you because he doesn't agree with your 2nd Ammendment stance and would do whatever he could to make your experience miserable. Sup to the individual.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This is Texas I can be in international waters faster than I can reach a state line.

Right, I could drive 8 hours and not reach a state line.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Now that my Florida permit came in the mail I don't have to worry about the nearby states.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Doesn't matter I am surrounded by reciprocal states.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
State lines, no problem do it all the time, but I have to be real careful I don't carry when going into Mexico, that could be a huge problem.

+1 Guns/Ammo in Mexico
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top