Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 10:26:16 PM EDT
So now, they are so confident that they can BREAK OUR LAWS WITHOUT PUNISHMENT
that they drive down the road in a van with 16 people in it, with a 17 year old ILLEGAL ALIEN driving

We are a nation of laws?...........maybe ten years ago, now we are a nation that ignores lawbreakers
(unless they are Citizens, then they are "fugitive stopped" if they owe the state $1.16)

Victims in rollover were being smuggled
Customs official: He says three Guatemalans identified the smuggler who is in the hospital

By Nate Carlisle and Lisa Church
The Salt Lake Tribune  
10/13/2005
www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3110641
MOAB - The immigrants packed into a minivan that rolled in southeast Utah on Tuesday appear to have been part of a smuggling operation, a federal official said, as law enforcement attempted to clear confusion that followed the crash.
   The Utah Highway Patrol said 16 people were in the van and one person is known to have died in the accident. However, the Mexican Consulate in Salt Lake City on Wednesday said it believed two people died and that there were 15 people in the van.
   UHP Lt. Todd Peterson said one body was removed from the crash site and no one is known to have died at or en route to a hospital. Kyle Kimmerle, owner of Kimmerle Funeral Home in Moab, also said he transported a single body from the scene.
   Information from the UHP and the consulate also conflicted on how many of the passengers were Mexican or Guatemalan, as well as how many were male or female.
   Seven passengers remained at area hospitals Wednesday. Four people - two men and two women - were in critical condition at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo., Peterson said.
   All the passengers are suspected of being in the country illegally.
   The van occupants appear to have been part of a smuggling operation, said Joseph Romel of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Romel, who is the assistant special agent in charge of investigations in Utah, said three Guatemalans who are in custody had counterfeit Mexican identification that they said someone in the van had given them.
   "They pointed the finger at [a] person still in the hospital as the true smuggler," Romel said, referring to one of the patients in Grand Junction.
   Witnesses say the 17-year-old who is believed to have been driving at the time of the crash agreed to drive to avoid paying the smuggling fee, Romel said. He didn't know where the passengers met the alleged smuggler or what they paid.
   Immigration and Customs had seven of the passengers  
- four Guatemalans and three Mexicans - in custody Wednesday, Romel said. The suspected driver was being taken to Immigration and Customs offices in Salt Lake City on Wednesday afternoon.
   Of the 16 people in the van, eight were from Mexico, seven were from Guatemala and one man was from India, public safety spokesman Wade Breur said.
   The crash occurred about 6:45 a.m. Tuesday on U.S. Highway 191, one mile north of the roadside attraction Wilson Arch and 26 miles southeast of Moab. The 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan was traveling north to Denver from Phoenix, UHP said.
   Investigators believe the driver drifted right and overcorrected after he fell asleep or became drowsy. Peterson said the van had a temporary Arizona registration. Investigators are trying to determine the owner.
   UHP identified the deceased passenger as Amalia Alicia Perez-Lucas.
   Breur said there will not be state criminal charges filed against the driver. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah is reviewing the case and the possibility of filing charges, said spokeswoman Melodie Rydalch.
   Romel said immigration officials still need to interview some of the passengers who remain in the hospital. Everyone determined to be in the country illegally will be sent to deportation proceedings or be allowed to leave voluntarily, he said.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder who is going to pay the medical bills.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
This is routine in San Diego County.

The MO is to West in the Eastbound lanes of I-8 with the lights out.

Dozens injured and killed in several accidents.

Tax dollars pay for it.

In one instance a rep from the Mexican Consulate tried telling US Officers what to do at the scene.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wonder who is going to pay the medical bills.

I think we can safely include the entire Arfcom list of Team Members, Members and Guests except for our foreign buds
The friggin illegal aliens will continue to suck down all the tax dollars that they can steal from us
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is routine in San Diego County.

The MO is to West in the Eastbound lanes of I-8 with the lights out.

Dozens injured and killed in several accidents.

Tax dollars pay for it.

In one instance a rep from the Mexican Consulate tried telling US Officers what to do at the scene.

I wonder how much jail time and fines a Citizen would get for such stupidity, with no insurance\drivers license
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Breur said there will not be state criminal charges filed against the driver. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah is reviewing the case and the possibility of filing charges, said spokeswoman Melodie Rydalch.

WTF?  "POSSIBILITY of filing charges"

This from the US Government in regards to an ILLEGAL ALIEN RESPONSIBLE FOR MANSLAUGHTER (at least).

As for the state not lifting a finger it doesn't surprise me at all.  I heard as many Spanish language radio stations driving through Utah as I do in SoCal.  The fast food place I stopped in south of SLC I heard nothing but Spanish behind the counter.

And while on that subject, a mini rant:

While passing through a couple of weeks ago there was some guy on the radio blabbing about how good it is that so many businesses are catering to "Latino clients" and that "Latino oriented businesses are responsible for blah-blah $$$ in the economy".  It was Latino this and Latino that and then, at the very end it was "it's good business for America".

I was so fucking pissed I nearly drove off the road.  How about this for a concept?  Doing business with AMERICANS is good for AMERICA!  Not "let's cater to a sub-group (many [most?] here ILLEGALLY) that forces you to further fractionalize and dilute the idea of AMERICANS into something even more unrecognizable than it already is"?

<end rant>
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
He's not responsible for the deaths or injuries he is only a 17 year old minor
without a drivers license or insurance that is in the country illegally...........
lets give HIM welfare, housing aid, medical care, and social security benefits
to include disability for him and his whole family whether they are in mexico OR the US
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The tax system treats mexicans real nice, too.  When a resident alien files, he can claim his relatives as exemptions, even though they live in Mexico.  He should be able to prove that he provides greater than 50% support, but who the heck is going to check into it?  THe federal government is CATERING to these people at every turn, folks.  Bush, who I voted for, and am sorry that I did now, is a big fat failure on this issue.  I simply cannot believe that he is letting this stuff continue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Except for the fact that each and every one of us makes our best effort to comply and follow all the laws,

How soon before there starts to be a grassroots movment of people who just say 'The hell with it, I'm not playing along anymore!!!'?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Except for the fact that each and every one of us makes our best effort to comply and follow all the laws,

How soon before there starts to be a grassroots movment of people who just say 'The hell with it, I'm not playing along anymore!!!'?

Its getting there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its getting there.

I'm feeling it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Raise your hand if you're surprised.

*looks around the room*

Nope, business as usual.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top