Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2001 1:32:22 PM EDT
How big is it?  What did it cost you?  I want to know what you collectors use for safes(brand)?  Do you have a fire protection safe?  Did you buy it new or did you look for a used one?  

I know I should have a safe for my collection, but here are a couple of my excuses.

#1-I love my current cases.  One is a custom, glass door, 22 gun case with lights. It looks like a museum case.  Cost me 25.00 at a garage sale.  My wife thinks it is the nicest piece of furniture in the house and she owns many antiques.  My pistol case I made myself, and it displays each revolver and pistol in its own free standing position, the revolvers balancing in the middle on walnut stands.

#2-Safes big enough for all of my collection(compensating for growing) would cost me I think about 2,000(30-45gun)?  I can't see getting a case without fire protection if I'm going to get one.

#3-No place to put it except for where my favorite cabinet is right now.  I just can't see putting it in the garage; too hot, too cold.

#4-Very, Very little crime here.  My cases are locked though, to keep my sons out of them.  I know, I knew where the key was to my dads cases.  But, I was well trained in safety before I was 6.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Excuses 1-3 will seem stupid after the house fire.

Nos 1,2 and 4 will seem equally stupid after the burglar breaks the display windows and leaves with all of your collection.

I paid under $1,000 for a NIB safe from a local mfr.  I can point to SEVERAL pieces that reside in there which are worth much more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
First I bought a Jeweler's safe with tear gas insert. That filled it up so I got a 28 gun Browning Medallion Series safe the fire protection option.

Then when I opened my shop we built in a 10' x 14' vault  using a Zanotti Armor vault door. Used concrete block & scrap 1/2" steel plate from my factory to line the exterior walls.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Grin&Barrett:

Then when I opened my shop we built in a 10' x 14' vault  using a Zanotti Armor vault door. Used concrete block & scrap 1/2" steel plate from my factory to line the exterior walls.
View Quote

This would be my preferred option, but I just bought my house 3 years ago, and don't see myself building a new one for a while.  

Citadelgrad,
Your are right, of course; I told you they were excuses.  That's why I would like to know what everybody has.  I feel like the only guy with out a safe, and I worry every time I leave the house.  What brand of safe did you buy?  Is it fire proof? How big?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My next house I will build a walk in vault.  

But until then,  I have a National Security Magnum Plus safe.  It is 42x72x28 and about 1500 pounds.  I purchased it new and it was too much money. [:D]

It has the normal standard fire protection. Omega 1638 degrees for 45 minutes.

It has the collectors interior, room they say for 50 guns.  But with the military type rifles,  I'm guessing I can fit about 35 in there without too much rubbing.  From the pics below, there are 17 long guns, a few lowers on a shelf and a stray upper on a shelf.

I got it to protect my Class III weapons and keep them protected from the elements with a goldenrod.

I would have liked to get a TL security safe, either TL15 or TL30 but they way about double my safe.   So,  this will do until I build a vault.

PS.  Always keep a flashlight on the top of the safe.

Here are some pics.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/032/ZV/vb/Gz/g013823.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/001/zr/fw/gc/gt67775.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a browning safe that is not fireproof. I wish I had thought of that when I bought it. If you buy a safe, don't buy the type that has the rifles lined up in a row, front to back.It is too hard to get to the rifles in the back.Instead buy the one that stores the rifles in a horseshoe shape.
Buy the largest safe you can afford as you will fill it up eventually. I agree with The other reply that while the gun cabinet is nice it just makes the burglars job easier.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking a bit myself lately, although don't have the money yet.  There is a company in CA called Sturdy Safe (www.sturdysafe.com) which caught my eye.  Most companies use drywall for insulation in safes.  Well, drywall is not a good insulator, it is a good fire stop, and that is what it is used for in construction.  Sturdy safe uses some ceramic cloth insulation, which they say is the same stuff used in ovens to insulate them from your kitchen cabinets- seems to make a lot of sense to me.  They build the safe, then put in the insulation then add a light gage steel liner inside.  Cost is about the same or less than the big names.  Also, Sentry has recently come out with some cheap safes ($300 to 600) but probably too small for you. Recent adds in SGN say that some of these are firelined-www.fjvolmer.com selling them, but Sentry's own site doesn't show them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Having my collection exposed to a breakin prompted me to finally buy a safe. I chose a standard Sturdy Safe. It's 60x22x19 and now barely holds my collection. Actually, the 10/22 and the Beeman RX-1 air rifle still hide in the closet. Ordered it new for $750 (delivered) and it weighs 350 lbs. Not fire rated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Guns762--

I got a Sportsmans Steel Safe Co Safe.

They are located in Carson, PRK.  THey advertise in the paper every few days, nothing today, I'll give contact info tomorrow.

I got a safe bigger than my fridge, but not as tall.  I think it's the Special Forces II model (so tactical).

It's split 1/2 grid for long guns and 1/2 shelf for whatever.  There's also a top shelf where I keep several pistols.  

I'm not crazy about the "grid" for rifles, put a couple pistol grips and scopes in there, it really takes up a lot of room.

I think it was $700+, they're always shrieking in their ads about sales, I don't think it's much more now.

I was stupid and it is not fire lined, I was thinking theft at the time.  Next house I will sheetrock it to give external fire protection.

I would get a bigger one if I replaced it, but I'm not out of room yet.

Any bigger and it goes in the garage by necessity.

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I "have" 2 safes.  I don't need them here (have to store my guns outside the city limits--F**K Chicago).  

I just bought a used (not fire lined) Browning Silver safe about 20" x 24" that will go to my Brother out of state to store an FNC, MAC, SAR-48 and HK 53 and a couple of pistols.  He keeps my full auto's (not the SAR-48, but the others are full auto), and needed a secure place to store them. 16 gun capacity.

I have sitting empty in my parent's house a Cannon Safe (I think they call it a 50) that is fire lined that will keep the bulk of my guns when I finish school and settle down somewhere.  I believe that one will hold about 24 guns.

I also have a cheap Homak locking cabinet (better than nothing, but I won't dignify it with the name safe).  The cheaper rifles, mags, etc. will eventually sit in that one.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My biggest safe weighs in at over 6000 lbs. It is fireproof rated at 1800 degrees for 4 hrs. It is 75" high 58" wide & 42" deep. It has 7" thick doors, walls, top & bottom.
I paid a whopping $750 for it. I bought it from a guy who had just finished building a house with a huge walk-in vault.
Obviously I keep them in the garage but with a Golden Rod & a light I can moderate the temperature quite well all year around.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."  
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
ColtShorty- damn, thats a big safe.

I have a safe made by Sun Welding Safe Co. in Simi Valley.  It is 72x40x28 with 3/16"steel all around and a 5/8" door.  It has the sheetrock fire liner but it has an extra helping of it.  It has 18 1" active locking bolts all around and an S&G spyproof lock (wife paid for the safe so couldn't drop the extra for the electronic) and ez-out combo interior.  Though with the ez-out on just half the safe I am already almost out of room.  

It weighs 1300lbs. so the wife wouldn't let it in the house. I have a couple large cans of dessicant inside it.  Gonna see how that goes till I decide on the golden rod thing.

The safe was 1800 bucks but tax and shipping added to that significantly.  The shipper scratched the finish (its in the garage so I could care less) so we got our shipping for free. (400 bucks)

I like the safe a lot though the velour interior is a little chincey.  May do my own interior one day.

Overall very pleased with the safe.  Here is a pic on the day it arrived.
[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MwCoGSUR*aCpbUUlZyLiz6xYq3VTFgU05Nmo6PF6Df3uLlxm5bWUx8FVDuEgSsyHvfRjU5!1izHdosD*ps2bqQ/IMG_0041.jpg[/img]

Here is the inside:
[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OgBuAJQS8vKpbUUlZyLiz2kLKyTcSnPwzrm4UquLQZ01QLCXMDLjGPge1bkX6420E6IBQkXg8VJzY8XKtgNnAVmK*KE0vzy7/IMG_0036(1).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Ratters
What type of pistol rack is that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Flat board, then take wood and glue/nail a piece of wood which takes the place of a pistol magazine.   Slip the gun ontop.

I think I've seen a few of those around, not sure if they are homemade or if someone actually sells them.

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Gardall 6030 in bedroom:
(surefire flashlight now on TOP of safe -- thanks "7" !)

[img]cedargrovepolice.net/rbad_safe/1.jpg[/img]

Amsec (TL30) "Armory Model" in basement:

[img]cedargrovepolice.net/rbad_safe/4.jpg[/img]

Some of the contents of the Amsec (out for cleaning):

[img]mcuzi.com/pics/guns001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#18]
You definitely SHOULD buy a safe.  You definitely SHOULD NOT buy a safe from Sportsman Steel Safes in CA.  What a complete bunch of pricks!  A friend of mine and I both bought one of their largest models.  Mine is firelined with the BIG door, his not lined, standard door.  Anyway, mine was ~$1800, his a bit less.  They were complete jerkoffs to deal with.  The 2 brothers are about as smart as a box of rocks.  After NUMEROUS problems, including a court date (!), my friends safe STILL isn't right!  The absolute worst customer service I've ever received.  Don't do it!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#19]
You definitely SHOULD buy a safe.  You definitely SHOULD NOT buy a safe from Sportsman Steel Safes in CA.  What a complete bunch of pricks!  A friend of mine and I both bought one of their largest models (http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/frontier.htm).  Mine is firelined with the BIG door, his not lined, standard door.  Anyway, mine was ~$1800, his a bit less.  They were complete jerkoffs to deal with.  The 2 brothers are about as smart as a box of rocks.  After NUMEROUS problems, including a court date (!), my friends safe STILL isn't right!  The absolute worst customer service I've ever received.  Don't do it!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Dogcaller-

I have heard that.  I have also heard of wandering delivery dates.

I  drove my truck to the factory, picked out a finished safe they had on hand, checked function and interior, pried open the wallet, and drove home with it.

A buddy did the same thing and lucked into a huge custom job somebody didn't want.

It's gaudy as hell, gold plated handle and an ugly assed pinstripe, but he got a good deal.

In person, if they have a safe you want sitting there, I reccomend them, but I have heard the above complaints about them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I am not rich like the rest of you bastards and this is all I can afford.

[img]www.mcuzi.com/imbroglio/safe.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am not rich like the rest of you bastards and this is all I can afford.

View Quote

Imbroglio,
How the hell do you have room for your 10/22 in there?[;)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I own five rifles.  do not expect to enlarge collection.  also have two pistols.  I live in California.  Looking for moderate priced safe, perhaps used.  any idea's?  I do not want too heavy.  should it be fire protected.  thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Grad87-

I wasn't that lucky; didn't have a truck.  We custom ordered ours, and then had to deal with the delivery.  Turns out tweedle-dum was doing it "under the table and didn't want  tweedle-dumber to find out.  This made for exciting times when my safe's door wouldn't close, and both of our safes had the wrong interior layout.  Like I said, a nightmare that they STILL haven't made right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I own five rifles.  do not expect to enlarge collection.  also have two pistols.  I live in California.  Looking for moderate priced safe, perhaps used.  any idea's?  I do not want too heavy.  should it be fire protected.  thanks
View Quote

Your in a state of denial if you think your collection won't grow unless your wife periodically check these here boards, then yeah, your collection won't grow [;)] Bought my Liberty for around $1100 or so, forget exactly how much.  But even if you only keep what's in your collection now, a safe is well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought a nice new Liberty, 60" wide, fire-lined. Got a $200 rebate last year and free delivery, paid around a grand, can't remember exactly. I'm going on vacation for a week soon, and will rest easy knowing my guns are fairly "safe". It's in the basement, bolted to the floor in a corner of a poured-in-place concrete wall  - took four of us an hour to get it down there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Safe Tricks-
Buy about 300 pounds of lead shot to line the floor of your safe.  It just makes it so much easier for someone to wheel away.  If you reload for shotguns you'll always have shot.  

The standard surrounding with fire rated gypsum board shouldn't hurt either.

Always write the combination close to the safe so a crook can find it.    

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gardall 6030 in bedroom:
(surefire flashlight now on TOP of safe -- thanks "7" !)

[img]cedargrovepolice.net/rbad_safe/1.jpg[/img]

View Quote

RBAD, why do you have pepper spray in there?  That is a waste of space.  [;)]
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Rbad- Do you always keep ammunition in your pistol mags?  Be careful of weak springs.  Nice interior set-up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
RBAD, why do you have pepper spray in there?  That is a waste of space.  [;)]
c-rock
View Quote

It's actually left over from my "Y2K Tactical Supply Kit"  I use it to keep the neighborhood cats in line. [}:D]  
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Nekkid 80:
Rbad- Do you always keep ammunition in your pistol mags?  Be careful of weak springs.  Nice interior set-up.
View Quote

Good eye !    The truth of the matter is that they were new "neutered" Glock and SIG mags and I was trying to get the springs to relax a bit.  (really tough to fit that 10th. round in)  [:D]

Hey --  Don't forget --   DO NOT USE ELECTRONIC LOCKS ON ALL OF YOUR SAFES!   (EMP damage could render them useless)

READ THIS:  [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=26119[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I have the Browning Medallion 28 gun with fire rating option.One side filled with rifles the other stacked full of ammuntion.Top shelf handguns plus I store a lot of other valuables in there.Don't put it off definitely buy a safe.The peace of mind is well worth the cost.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Back on the weak springs if you keep mags loaded topic...  [:)]

I've heard time and time again, that it is not true.  The magazine spring weaken each time you loadup and unload.  If you keep them loaded up, there is no apparent wear.

I'll keep a few of mind loaded up.  Reminds me,  time to load up a few more for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Steve- the pistol racks were made by the safe manufacturer.  They actually don't work all to well and are to high for compact guns to sit well.  Plus pistols with lanyards won't stand at all.  I like RBADs but I can't find them in cabellas.  Saw some dish racks at Target that seem like they might work and my pick some up.  Or cut down the racks I have so the pistols sit a little better.

BTW- The company was a little hard to get in touch with, only gives email address, to make the sale, but their customer service after the sale has been really excellent.  Kinda backwards compared to most places.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Ratters, they are easy to find in Cabelas.  I don't think you can directly link to them, but I'll give it a shot.

nope, didn't work.

Do a keyword search for "gun rack"  Then once the list is up,  click on #2 Hand gun racks.

It should bring you to the correct item.

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks 7.

I just got the catalog and was looking there, hadn't tried online yet.  Gonna do it now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]
They definitely have 'em online.  Can't link to the item for some reason.  Pretty inexpensive and great quality !  (they come in different capacities too)
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I own a Cannon Model 12 I think..here's the top part :-)

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/FR/LF/lv/uN98285.jpg[/img].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top