Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2005 7:30:13 AM EDT
Are there any brands that I am missing out on?

These are to relpace factory 6 1/2 's.

The bostons are the highest price wise,

with alpine and infinity equal.

I have always had good luck with boston acoustics,

and I know alpine is good,

but everyone keeps talking about infinity audio too.

I have never heard them, do they live up to the hype?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I like alpine - very high quality.  But don't get stuck on brands - go and listen - you might find something cheaper that suits your tastes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Alpine head unit

JL Audio speaker & amps
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have Infinity component speakers in my Miata (doors and headrests) and I have been very happy with them.  Better sound than the Sonys they replaced - although I did keep my Sony head unit, CD changer, and amps.

ETA:  My Dad had BAs in one of his old Mercedes and that's what he chose for the "stealth" system in his classic T-Bird.  Great sound in both cases, FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Like Dolomite said, go listen.

But that said, I like Alpine for their very user friendly heads.  The controls are intuitive, meaning I don't need to memorize the book just to use it.  

BTW...

cars & bikes.....

cars & bikes....

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Alpine vote here.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Like Dolomite said, go listen.

But that said, I like Alpine for their very user friendly heads.  The controls are intuitive, meaning I don't need to memorize the book just to use it.  

BTW...

cars & bikes.....

cars & bikes....

DOH!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I LOVE Alpine, but I must admit to being SERIOUSLY disappointed with the last model I bought.

It sounds AWESOME, but the interface to make the GD thing do this or that is PAINFULLY awful. Whoever did the controls design should be fired.

I'm hoping a better model will be out soon so I can ditch this one on e-bay and upgrade. The one I had since 1996 was simply killer and EASY TO USE.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#8]
go listen and let your ears decide, in a car if all possible, they will sound different on a sound board, than in a car.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not the one I've got.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like alpine - very high quality.  But don't get stuck on brands - go and listen - you might find something cheaper that suits your tastes.

I put Bostons in my GF's car (I drive it too, so that was a win win)

And Alpine's in my friends.

So those I both know,

But I don't even know if there is a dealer round me that stocks infinity.

But all I have ever heard is infinity=quality especially in speakers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as head units go, I went with a panasonic.

Flame me if you must, but I have always had very good luck with the quality and sound of the Panasonic. I put on head unit in three different cars over 6 years and still worked like the day I bought it.

Although if it was not the unit i bought it would've been an alpine unit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was looking for speakers for my car, the Infinity speakers were the ones that sounded the best.  I listened to Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Polk, Sony, Pioneer and a few others, and the Infiniy speakers consistently sounded the best.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#13]
None of the above would be my first choice.  But then I installed a pair of Dynaudio's years ago and ever since nothing has compared.

What are you running them off?  If you're running them off the head unit it really doesn't matter - they'll be underpowered and will not perform to their potential.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]
JL Audio all the way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Alpine's quality has started to slip as they have entered the Big Box store market. IE:Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

What series Boston are you looking at? Are you looking for a 2way, 3 way, or component type speaker? The Pro and Z series are very good speakers, but have a high MSRP.

MB Quart, Polk, and Diamond Audio are all very good speakers too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#17]
This would go good in Cars & Bikes... I have a thread in that forum where I am replacing factory 6.5s. I went with Boston Acoustics but the JLs sounded nearly as good for less money.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=397402

I used to have some Infinity 6x9s that I liked alright, as well. I thought they were pretty good speakers but were a little short on midrange. That was several years ago, however.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
None of the above would be my first choice.  But then I installed a pair of Dynaudio's years ago and ever since nothing has compared.

What are you running them off?  If you're running them off the head unit it really doesn't matter - they'll be underpowered and will not perform to their potential.

Still haven't decided whether or not to amp them.

I know I can always add a 4 way amp later so that makes it easier for my budget.

The factory speakers are pretty much shot anyways so I need to get something to replace them.

The head unit I got has a 17w x 4 RMS (50 watt max) mosfet amp so they shouldn't sound terrible,

Underpowered yes, Not full potential yes, but working which is better then what I have now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The bottom line is:

there are alot of good speakers out there, and each has it's own tonal qualities that makes selection very personal. The thing that many people overlook is the fact that due to installation variables, equalization is needed to make some sonic corrections, the same way a pipe organ is 'voiced' after it is finally installed in the space it will be played in. It's the difference between a good sounding system, and a great sounding one. My $.02
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're going to have to listen to your music, at your levels, with your ears.

I just put $3000 system into my 350Z and had the advantage of being able to listen to other guy's speakers in their Z's to see what they sounded like. I ended up with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 componets in the doors and a pair of Perfect 10dVQ subwoofers in a custom built box sized to match the Thiel-Small parameters of the 10dVQ speakers.

Have you wired it up yet?

did you have amps already or am I missing that box?

nevermind I looked closer

And not to sound like a complete but what is the dual voice coil?

How do the Perfect 10's sound. thats what I am looking at.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I know I can always add a 4 way amp later so that makes it easier for my budget.

The factory speakers are pretty much shot anyways so I need to get something to replace them.

The head unit I got has a 17w x 4 RMS (50 watt max) mosfet amp so they shouldn't sound terrible,

Underpowered yes, Not full potential yes, but working which is better then what I have now.

If you don't amp them now, you will later.

Since you are being budget-minded, go ahead and replace your shot speakers with good, quality speaker that can handle the amp power down the road - even if you're going to power them from the head unit for now.  The sound will probably be better than what you had for now & then greatly improved once you add the amp.  Nothing wrong with doing it in stages - not everyone can buy a complete system at once.  When I was in college, I did the system in my Camaro much like this - spend what you can & compromise the timeline, NOT the quality of each component.  JMHO...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I run boston 6.5 pro components in my Camaro.  Very kick ass and by far the nicest speakers Ive ever owned.  $450 new but well worth it. Also comes with the different mounts for the tweeters to give you some sound options like many other brands do.  Also very good midrange
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Everyone hears something different so don't go by what people say is the best according to them.  Who are you trying to impress, yourself or people on the sidewalk?  What type of vehicle?  How much airspace behind the speakers is there?  Amped or not?  Single speaker or Components?  So many variables to factor in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't amp them now, you will later.

Since you are being budget-minded, go ahead and replace your shot speakers with good, quality speaker that can handle the amp power down the road - even if you're going to power them from the head unit for now.  The sound will probably be better than what you had for now & then greatly improved once you add the amp.  Nothing wrong with doing it in stages - not everyone can buy a complete system at once.  When I was in college, I did the system in my Camaro much like this - spend what you can & compromise the timeline, NOT the quality of each component.  JMHO...

Thats my theory on it.

I'm getting the head unit for my birthday.

Spending $200 on the speakers

$500-600 all together on the sub/enclosure/amp

I'm going to go ahead and run the wires and cap them for everything so I can add in an extra amp and satellite radio for later.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everyone hears something different so don't go by what people say is the best according to them.  Who are you trying to impress, yourself or people on the sidewalk?  What type of vehicle? 1999 Honda CR-V How much airspace behind the speakers is there? the doors and back panels have around half of a cubic foot Amped or not? not now, but probably in the futureSingle speaker or Components? single  So many variables to factor in.

Its not going to be a competition boom-car, but I have to drive 40 minutes one way to school, and I want it to sound good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Infinity Kappa Perfects are pretty sweet.  had them in my car a few years back.  JL audio takes the cake too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, *I* would do a custom set if it were me. But thats probably not something you want to muck with and deciding on crossover points and slopes isnt most peoples idea of a good time.

So for off the shelf stuff I'd probably do CDT, JL Audio or the Adire set. Probably the Adire set but damned if I can remember the name of it right off......

Spend some time reading the forums Here or Here if your really seruious about getting into car audio.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had Alpine, and used to be impressed with them. Then I got some Boston Acoustic speakers with a Kenwood receiver for my Jeep. Loved the combo.

My vote is Boston Acoustic. Really it's a personal choice and all of them are great products.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I have the same Infinity Kappa Perfects in my GMC Z71 with a 1 1/2 DIN Pioneer 4.3 v RCA out puts, a MTX powerd sub,  and a Phoenix Gold amp. I recommend the Kappas.

My second choices were Focus.

Quoted:
You're going to have to listen to your music, at your levels, with your ears.

I just put $3000 system into my 350Z and had the advantage of being able to listen to other guy's speakers in their Z's to see what they sounded like. I ended up with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 componets in the doors and a pair of Perfect 10dVQ subwoofers in a custom built box sized to match the Thiel-Small parameters of the 10dVQ speakers.

For the amplifiers and headend go with features, cost, or looks as they don't have as great of influence on the "sound" of the system as the "flavor" of your speakers. Speakers are a very individual thing and should please your ears ... not mine.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Stereo%20System/StereoWork29.jpg
For some unknown reason the guys on the car site I hang around at all take pictures of their system's boxes ... I guess to make a quick inventory for someone looking to copy the install ... or steal the car!

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Stock%20Stereo%20System%20Comparison/StereoWork12.jpg
Here's the Kappa's compared to the stock Bloze ones. Yeah baby, Bloze quality!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Eclipse- amps, head-units..

MB Quartz- Speakers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the one I've got.

you are an outlier.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top