Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2005 12:40:31 AM EDT
They re-examined a few of the firearm myths and they did manage to ignite a gas tank with tracers but still no kaboom.
They also shot Buster with a .50BMG, Buster was wearing a steel plate too but he didn't move much more than the hog that got shot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
They re-examined a few of the firearm myths and they did manage to ignite a gas tank with tracers but still no kaboom.
They also shot Buster with a .50BMG, Buster was wearing a steel plate too but he didn't move much more than the hog that got shot.

yup. Strap some tannerite on his chest and watch him dance!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
i am just jealous... how many guns do they own that the show paid for
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't realize that tracers work because of the phosphorus paint on the tip igniting from air friction....

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Didn't realize that tracers work because of the phosphorus paint on the tip igniting from air friction....

I missed that. If they said that, my days with Mythbusters are over.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i am just jealous... how many guns do they own that the show paid for

not many.
Most of the guns are borrowed since it is Kalifornia. They get a lot of assistance from the local LEO's.
On last nights episode they had to get help because tracers are illegal in CA.
Couple of AR's, mini-14 or 30 for Kari(she got a bunch of mags and she said all this is for me? Cool!!!), 870 and a bolt action .50BMG
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

they did explain it in a animation
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The narrartion for the little animated bit:
"The orange tip contains of the bullet contains phosphorus. When the round is fired, the friction with the air makes the phosphorus burn, which is why they glow. And why they could ignite a gas tank."

Kari had an M1 Carbine, BTW.

Edit to add: in the preview for the segment, Jamie says "Aren't tracers illegal in Califorinia?"
In the actual segment the question is "Aren't tracers illegal?" sans the California part. Which is immediately followed by Adam saying "Indeed they are..."

Man, insomnia sucks....
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"The orange tip contains of the bullet contains phosphorus. When the round is fired, the friction with the air makes the phosphorus burn, which is why they glow. And why they could ignite a gas tank."

Is the narrartion for the the little animated bit.

Kari had an M1 Carbine, BTW.

oops
They did have to blast the crap out of the tank to make it ignite though.
And none of that hollywood single shot kaboom crap
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How wrong can you get?  I died when I saw that
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I set it to record, I'll post clips in a day or so.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Some screeen caps of Kari would be nice too....
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll just post the whole segment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Soooo...what really makes tracers glow?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT!!! they even had graphics to show how air resistance ignited the orange painted "phosphorous tip" of the bullet!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!

and they thought "tracer" is the same as "incendiary"...

and they kept saying the "clip full of bullets"...

still fun to watch though...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Soooo...what really makes tracers glow?

the tracer charge is in the base of the round. the train is started when the round is fired as the propellant (gunpowder) ignites the tracer compound. first there is a non-tracing compound (think of a fuse) as the round travels away from the barrel. when it gets a few yards away, it ignites the tracer element and you get the trace. that's it, barney-style.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

man, any arf.kommer knows newton's law...maybe we should tell them to ask us here before they air the shows?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
THey didn't shoot a gas tank connected to a running engine though, did they?  

Probably wouldn't matter, but I thought that was the movie thing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mmmmmm!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
THey didn't shoot a gas tank connected to a running engine though, did they?  

Probably wouldn't matter, but I thought that was the movie thing.

no, it was freestanding. and it didn't ignite til they moved the tank out to 100 ft or something like that...to give the "incendiary tracer tip more time to ignite"! hahahahahaha . jamie was the one who finally set it off with a single round. personally, i doubt the tracer had anything to do with it...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#21]
They're being "busted" right now about last nights show on the web sites own forum.

community.discovery.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9401967776/m/7151937908
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT!!! they even had graphics to show how air resistance ignited the orange painted "phosphorous tip" of the bullet!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!

I love that show but I was practically screaming at the TV. I was telling my wife how that was completely incorrect and she even said "How can they be so stupid?"

I almost lost it when Jamie referred to a mag as a "clip".
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I find myself watching that show less and less. The whole dynamic of the show has changed since the beginning. At first it was just two wacky guys fucking around with gadgets in an old warehouse and blowing stuff up. Now, you've got all these stupid new people and misrepresented facts. Kari's a nice addition.... but.

For a show that purports to bust urban legends, they sure seem to propogate enough of their own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#24]
They need to bring back that blonde welder chick. Kari's is ok but I don't go for Vegan Bottle Reds.

Gimme the tattooed chicklette that knows how to weld 1/4" plate, but still looks tasty in tight jeans. Yum...

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They need to bring back that blonde welder chick. Kari's is ok but I don't go for Vegan Bottle Reds.

Gimme the tattooed chicklette that knows how to weld 1/4" plate, but still looks tasty in tight jeans. Yum...

preach it brotha'!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Kary with an M1 carbine: I immediately turned to my wife and said "If she can do it, so can you"... she was nonplussed.

I, too, was sneering at the TV screen when they talked about the tracer tips being what ignites... Yeegads. It's just paint!

I read a report once that said that Jamie was an ex-Special Forces guy... Seeing him handle firearms in a few episodes has lead me to believe that is 100% pure, refined BS. He's comfortable enough around them... but not enough for me to think he's a sharpshooter. I think I even saw him flinch once.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Keri's a hottie.  I think the blonde sued them or there was some sexual harassment issue...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just shows how much work we, as gun owners, still have left to do.
Sometimes I hate that I have to explain simple firearm laws, but I gotta tell ya, I don't mind the look on their faces when they are really paying attention
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#29]
interning there has to be cool though
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
interning there has to be cool though

I do like how they warmed up to the idea of using guns... It's no big deal to them and they seem to relish the chance to shoot without over dramatizing it.

I'll take the few errors (namely the tracer thing) in exchange for the overall good they're doing by making it look like Joe Schmoe is capable of using guns safely, without them just going off.

In fact, that should be a Myth that they bust: trying to get a gun to "just go off" the way the news (and some movies) try to make it look like...

Edit... I'm going to start a new thread about this...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#31]
You have to give them credit though. A show with two Hollywood industry guys, coming out of Kalifornistan, and they are willing to show guns being used for fun, with no anti-gun BS.

They both show a lot of interest in firearms and use them frequently in the show, which is a + for ALL gun owners. The more exposure guns get in a + light is better than no exposure at all or exposure with an anti-twist. And on top of that, they often call upon private gun owners to take part in the show!

The guys might not have all the terminology or technology down pat, but I think they are doing gun owners a great justice by including firearms in their show!

I give them a pat on the back for probably being the only show out there, not including the typical hunting/shooting shows, that uses firearms in a positive light!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like macman37 and I share the same sentiments.

Would it be possible to get a group post going to thank the Mythbusters for their positive exposure/use of guns in the show?

We could then email them with a link to the post here at AFRCOM.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]
grrr..how dare they call them clips....don't they know they are called bullet holder thingies?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Dyke
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dyke

And? Hell, to me that would be a selling point. Now if I could just convince my darling wife...

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#36]

..., Buster was wearing a steel plate too but he didn't move much more than the hog that got shot.

They shot a hog on TV with a 0.50 BMG?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#37]
On a past show they were trying to see if a bullet made of Ice was possible....
I got a chuckle when they wentb into a gun shop... bough a carcano and....
'Had to put the experiment(s) on hold while they waited for the "waiting period" to expire so they could take the gun home...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I figure they must have done at least a tiny bit of research before spouting off about tracers.

They probably found an explanation of different ammunitions, and read about API instead of tracers.  API rounds have a barium nitrate/magnesium or similar mixture in the tip of the bullet.  The mixture is also ignited by friction, not by the gunpowder.  Of course ignition is from the friction of IMPACT, not air Resistance.

And, API rounds, unlike tracers are very restricted in the civilian market.  Not illegal, but not purchasable anywhere like tracers.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that must be what their researchers did.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

..., Buster was wearing a steel plate too but he didn't move much more than the hog that got shot.

in a past episode about movie myths they shot a dead hog on a hook with a shotgun slug? and it flinched a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in a past episode about movie myths they shot a dead hog on a hook with a shotgun slug? and it flinched a little bit.

They shot it with a 9mm, .45 acp, .223, .308, .44 magnum, etc.. as well.

ETA: They did it to show that people don't fly back when you shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool.  I may have to catch that more often.  Some of the episodes I've seen are a bit lame, like making stones roll then trying to grow moss on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top