Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 9:25:49 PM EDT
Ok, I'm looking at those small power inverters that plug into the cig lighter.  Don't need much, just enough to power a laptop/notebook.

The ads for the  75 watt  models say they are enough for this.  However, I can get a 150 watt for about the same price.

Question is... do I need to worry about "too much power" to the laptop if I go with an inverter that has more watts than I need?  

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never dealt with inverters before and despite being in construction, I'm seriously lacking in electrical knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

3n8fan
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
i use the 150 to power my laptop..

zero issues..

same as you i got it because it was the same price,,  

it has served me well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks cluster, that's what I wanted to know.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Your standard home electrical outlet is 1800 to 2400 watts.  

Your appliances (computer, lamp, whatever) will draw only the current that they need.  A lamp with a 100 watt bulb plugged into a 2400 watt outlet will still only use 100 watts.  You can use whatever size inverter you wish, so long as it supplies at least the maximum number of watts used by your appliance.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You cannot have "too much power".  The power source will supply the power that is demanded of it up to its max current rating.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually it's better to 'oversize' in that the inverter will run cooler. If you push the limit your inverter will fail sooner.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I ended up going with a 150 watt continuous/ 300 watt peak for $22 shipped.

Thanks for the help guys.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your laptop.

Many newer ones need more than 75 watts.  My IBM takes 90 watts.

Now I just bought a 1500/3000 watt inverter to run more
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i use the 150 to power my laptop..

zero issues..

same as you i got it because it was the same price,,  

it has served me well.

Good advice, go bigger if you can, it won't hurt your small electronics. High wattage is designed to power up things that need it, but will safely power up anything smaller. They all put out -for our purposes- 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC, the higher watts -forget about peak watts- is basically an indicator of what type of items can be powered up with the unit without tripping the circuit breaker.

I always tell my customers at the shop to get the biggest inverter that they can find within thier price range. In an emergency you can power up things you wouldn't normally need or want to. Also, for high output inverters I don't recommend lighter or spare power outlet hookup, it is always best to hard wire it right into your vehicle, perhaps not for low watt inverters, but the more powerful inverters should always be wired in using heavy guage wire for the most reliable operation. I've seen too many lighter sockets get fried.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

-forget about peak watts-

Peak watts are VIP for starting a lot of things.

Many products require a LOT more watts for starting
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you direct wire it to your car battery, you won't get more than maybe 140 or the 150 watts anyway without risking blowing a fuse.  Most car cigarette, or power plugs, are only good for that much.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top