Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 9:07:35 PM EDT
Yahoo!!!

I'm officially RETIRED today.  

(The first retirement deposit came in, so now it really IS true.)

18 years of 'trying' to teach high school science.   Trying, because the vast majority of each class does not want to be there,  does not want to learn,  does not want to know the things they are required to know and actively fights against knowing.  And, when they don't know...guess whose fault it is?  A: never the 'students' fault.  

Some won't learn.  Some can't learn no matter how hard they try and that is heartbreaking.  

Five or six (or one or two) (or none) in a class of 32 actually try to learn.  But, you can't devote any time to them because of the six or 16 in a class who go out of their way to ruin the learning environment.

No more pregnant fifteen year olds with pierced tongues and five years of sex experience!

No more lies, deceit, stealing, vandalism, and attempts to hurt me.

No more 36 students and 26 seats.

No more witnessing human tragedy on a grand scale...daily.

No more constant, mindless babbling.  No more insane arguing.  No more insane parents.

No more SAT scores that show a bell curve shifted to the left by 23 IQ points and getting worse every year.  

No more trying to teach chemistry or physics to people who can't divide...WITH A CALCULATOR.

No more watching a near heroic expenditure of resources on the very worst behaved, the bottom of the barrel, while almost nothing is expended on the best and brightest.  

So, do I miss it?   Ha, haa, haaa, haaaaa, hhhaaaaaaaaaaa.    Not in the slightest.  

Lets see, what will I do tomorrow,  ahhhh,  oh,  I know,  go shooting, or diving, or play on the computer, or ride the motorcycle,  or ride the bike, or ..................................................................

Yippee!

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  So in a nutshell, what do you think is wrong with America's education system?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!!!

Did you get to leave a class about a quarter through the year? Here they make you go half way or all of the way.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You should hook up with Old Painless.  He's found great ways to spend his retirement time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My congrats....I'm sure you did as much as you could with todays youth...again..congrats, enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations.  Now what are you going to do?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats!!!!

All I can say is retirement is a long ways off for me
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So. . . tell us how you really feel?  There's no need to hold back.

Oh yeah, congratulations on your retirement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Retirement is official when they first pay.

But my last day was at the end of the last school year.

Yeah, I know, I paint a more optimistic picture of the experience than it actually was.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!

But do keep yourself busy! My dad turned into a couch potato when he retired. Way bad for your health.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome.  Spent your life as a government employee, and soon you'll cash your first Social(ist) Security check.

Great.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats.!
Keep busy or you'll go nuts.
My father retired two years ago and had a full time job taking care of his grandson.
He spent 10 hours a day for 2 years with his grandson teaching him to fish, ride bike, plant tomatoes, etc.  Now he works half day as a volunteer teacher's aid at the elem. school.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad fer ya!

As of today I have 100 calendar days until I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
LUCKYYYYY!

Edit: You going to join forces with Old_Painless and shoot stuff for fun?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
wow, congratulations.  My wife is studying to be a teacher (kind of an oxymoron)
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy retirement.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Cograts!

And to think that I am desparatly seeking employment in the public elementary schools....
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations on your retirement.  While I hope your post is not the entirety of your reflections of your career (if it, that is quite sad), there must have been some rewarding and satisfying moments.

Teachers have the hardest jobs, imo.  Teaching the young people of this nation is no easy task with the diversity in culture, ethnicity, and the ever changing world we live in.  

My teachers were  not all good, some were jaded and I remember one tried to get me to go to the beach with him alone (I didn't go).

Teachers need more support, both resources and from parents.  

I applaud all the people who are going into teaching, yours is largely an individually thankless job, but it's the gratitude of society that you have.

I would like to hear teacher's out there and their positive reflections.  I think focusing on the positive as well as the negative is a bit more helpful.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#18]
F#%K you and good ridance. I nver lurnd nuthin in yor klass anyways.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope to be retired one day
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations.

I am exactly $2.6 million away from retirement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget to decline the Senior Citizen Discount. It's the Arfcom Way!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow,

And to think I'm considering quitting the Aerial Gunnery profession to be a history teacher.  
~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yahoo!!!

(The first retirement deposit came in, so now it really IS true.)

18 years of 'trying' to teach high school science.   Trying, because the vast majority of each class does not want to be there,  does not want to learn,  does not want to know the things they are required to know and actively fights against knowing.  And, when they don't know...guess whose fault it is?  A: never the 'students' fault.  

Some won't learn.  Some can't learn no matter how hard they try and that is heartbreaking.  

Five or six (or one or two) (or none) in a class of 32 actually try to learn.  But, you can't devote any time to them because of the six or 16 in a class who go out of their way to ruin the learning environment.

No more pregnant fifteen year olds with pierced tongues and five years of sex experience!

No more lies, deceit, stealing, vandalism, and attempts to hurt me.

No more 36 students and 26 seats.

No more witnessing human tragedy on a grand scale...daily.

No more constant, mindless babbling.  No more insane arguing.  No more insane parents.

No more SAT scores that show a bell curve shifted to the left by 23 IQ points and getting worse every year.  

No more trying to teach chemistry or physics to people who can't divide...WITH A CALCULATOR.

No more watching a near heroic expenditure of resources on the very worst behaved, the bottom of the barrel, while almost nothing is expended on the best and brightest.  

So, do I miss it?   Ha, haa, haaa, haaaaa, hhhaaaaaaaaaaa.    Not in the slightest.  

Lets see, what will I do tomorrow,  ahhhh,  oh,  I know,  go shooting, or diving, or play on the computer, or ride the motorcycle,  or ride the bike, or ..................................................................

Yippee!

Can I post this verbatim as a quote on my blog?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yahoo!!!

Congratulations sir. Happy Retirement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Awesome.  Spent your life as a government employee, and soon you'll cash your first Social(ist) Security check.

Great.

You are a jackass, and also ignorant.
Teachers in Texas do not get SS benefits EVER, even though they've paid into it just like everyone else.
They get their retirement through the Teachers Retirement System (TRS), which sucks.
You could make more putting the money into a plain vanilla 401k and just leaving it there.

As to the OP, Happy Retiremnt, I sure know my mom is looking forward to hers in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#28]
You take point!

I am 47 days behind you!

Cover me!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for your service to our children. You played the great American game and Won.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Be careful! Retirement is not all it's cracked up to be. For one thing, you won't observe weekends because everyday is Saturday. You don't get holidays, sometimes you just have to give yourself a holiday. No one is going to plan your day, you're going to have to take over that task yourself.

But in order to maintain human contact you can go to McDonalds and drink coffee. Be sure to get the senior discount. Also you can interact with the young lions by going for a slow drive in the left lane on the interstate. Be sure to leave your turn signals on, this catches their eye. They are so friendly they nearly always wave.he
All things being equal, I highly reccomend retirement, even with all the problems I've mentioned.

Your's, wundudnee  

I'm going to live so long that the Social Security office is going to put a contract out on me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Congrats,
Retirement is a real bitch. I have nothing better to do than build knives, fish and play with guns. It's tough but you get used to it. I remember many people telling me I would tire of it quickly and want to go back to work (I didn't know this many people did drugs) it's been a year now and I can't remember a morning that I woke up wishing I could go back to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top