Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2005 4:37:45 PM EDT
well?

at one of my jobs, i had a boss i'd go shooting with.  we were bullshitting in the office one day, and he made a coment about how many guns i have.  one of the assistant managers overheard him and freaked out.  she asked me if i felt disgrunteled in any way...  and she was completely serious.  i thought of telling her something stupid like "if i am, you'll be the first to find out",  but i didn't think she'd be able to handle it

so what kind of stories do y'all got?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
nope, and screw them if they don't like it
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I've only gotten 1 or 2 bad responses and both from women.  It wasn't bad or anything they just said something like "they'll never be in my house!"

The crazy thing is sometimes you'll just doscover another NUT with all kinds of hardware!  I had a paper target with a very tight group on the back of my door.  Some guy from A/C Repair saw that and we yacked for an hour about revolvers and different calibers.  It was pretty cool.  Usually people I talk to tell me mild gun info to fit in.  They like to use 'Beretta' & 'Glock' as buzz words typically.  

somebody get me an '05 SEBR stat!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. I live in Bama
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope! Most people are like "you have guns?, I didnt know that" and they are still totally cool afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, yes, of course...

I don't even mention it.  We took my car out to lunch with people from work and they asked what was with all the safety glasses hanging from all the grab handles (retarded friends never bring their own) and I just changed the subject.

There were at least two times I remember talking with a friend about going shooting that weekend and some chick walked by and said something like, "Shooting, what, guns???"

"Ehh, yeah, you should come... who knows, you might enjoy it."

It's hopeless... that's usually the part when they give me some PC answer to why they don't want to, or pretty much say, you've got to be insane.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an NRA sticker on the back window of my car. A friend sees the sticker and says "Violence". I just smiled and told him to put a sign on his lawn stating his house was gun free. Then asked him how he would feel knowing that everyone knew he didn't have a way to defend himself. No answer ...of course.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was running for office I had a man write to me and tell me he refused to vote for me because I carry a gun.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
<---- lives in Alabama where everyone owns atleast 1 gun.

when people find out how many i have, thats where the shock comes from.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I get a few wierd looks from the administartors and lib teachers when I wear my ARFCOM shirt to school.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I do sometimes when they find out which types of guns I own.

Very few wood stocked guns here.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Shooting, what, guns???"

<Patronizing look>
No, dumbass.  Targets.
</Patronizing look>
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My Glock hat is attached forever to my head.  My brother's GF and my sister and her friends are all rabid gun haters.  Always makes for fireworks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nope. I live in Bama

you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh yes. And i never wanted to talk about it or initiate that sort of conversation. It has been from someone else saying something that starts it. Ive heard it all..

I understand the whole "hunting" thing but guns are so dangerous.

I couldn`t have a gun i know i`d shoot someone

Are you in the militia?

bleh bleh bleh

The other stuff were from rabid liberals with a bone to pick about what they think they know about guns, and the ppl who own them..  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in NYC, so it's self explanatory, save for the fact that I don't go around advertising it (basically, need-to-know, like when someone asks "so, what do you like to do?", or if I'm asking a well-adjusted person if they want to go shooting with me).

Basically, bad reactions have been received when people find out that or when they're not supposed to.

I hang around a lot of immigrant folk (esp. Russian-speakers), and they seem to be the best adjusted (ie, they're cool with it, Most Russian [speaking] kids have shot at least once or twice -- the full-auto-rental ranges just across the border in PA are popular w/ Russians here, who go skiing [drinking] to those areas a lot and stop by).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I was talking to a co-worker about collections, she said she always spend all of her money on shoes and clothing. Turned to me and asked what I collect, I said Firearms...She said..."Oh......Guns....ummm...I wanna go
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I make a point of my opinion. I have my Guns and Ammo mags delivered to my office. A copy is always sitting there on my desk. Very few comment, but the ones that do ask a lot of questions that I am eager to answer. I have converted one very liberal guy who now has two Ruger .22's that he takes out to the desert to shoot a few times a month.

The company's runner, and old ex-military man, loves to read the G&A mags before he delivers them to my office.  That's cool.

Those who reject the notion usually say little and walk away.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Have you ever gotten a negative reaction from someone when they found out you're a gun owner?

yes, but I return the negative reaction x 2.

usually if you respond in a way that makes them ashamed/embarassed to be unarmed, it changes the whole setting.

i.e., I act absolutely schocked and dumbfounded that they would even consider that I am unarmed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#19]
"They're coming to get you Barbara!"

f em. They are the "melt down and wait to die" type who simply don't get the chance often enough in the well-protected USA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Only from ferrinners. Mericuns dont bug me about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Everyone that I meet and talk too for more than 1 hour gets to know that I am a gun owner.

What takes you so long?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple of coworkers and I sometimes discuss firearms during lunch hour. One liberal type there called it the militia hour and that there is no reason to own "those" kinds of firearms, concealed carry was ridiculous, or would tell us we were all nuts. etc.

Well apparently his roommate at the time had to go out of the country to work for a long time and the roommate gave him an old beat up Taurus PT92 because he couldn't take it with him and had nowhere to store it. He was pissed that there had been a gun in the apartment but after a few months he asked where to go shooting said he wanted to try it once. We brought him with us to the range one day and he loved it. Last time I talked to him he was shopping for his first new firearm, somewhat converted, but he still doesn't like the scary looking EBR (he just hasn't shot one yet).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep.... but mostly because I'm always flaunting it

The worse responses was right after Columbine when a friends wife saw us talking in the front yard and came out screaming and yelling about how it was all my flaunt that all those kids died and that if there was any justice in the world someone would shoot me just so I would finally understand how evil guns are.

I guess I'm a heartless asshole....I just laughed at her.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell No...   We all own guns in Texas!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I once shot a man for dissing my ARFCOM license plate frame.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I attended law school with a Romanian immigrant.  He hated guns, especially military-style weapons.  He thought the Second Amendment should be repealed.  Isn't communism neat?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I attended law school with a Romanian immigrant.  He hated guns, especially military-style weapons.  He thought the Second Amendment should be repealed.  Isn't communism neat?  

Honestly, if you disagree with the constitution, you shouldn't be here.  American, or otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I build machine guns for  a company that fills government contracts, and sometimes people ask me if I enjoy  building guns that kill women and children.  I usually tell them that the countries that buy are guns cant afford to waste ammo on women and children, and that they just stomp them to death with their boot heels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Apparently not one to learn from history and personal experience, was he?

Jim
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
well?

at one of my jobs, i had a boss i'd go shooting with.  we were bullshitting in the office one day, and he made a coment about how many guns i have.  one of the assistant managers overheard him and freaked out.  she asked me if i felt disgrunteled in any way...  and she was completely serious.  i thought of telling her something stupid like "if i am, you'll be the first to find out",  but i didn't think she'd be able to handle it

so what kind of stories do y'all got?

You should have told her you were gruntled.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't believe I have ever got a bad reaction to gun ownership, but most people I meet are on a need to know basis. Usually, they don't need to know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't met anyone yet who would pass up a chance to get to shoot an EBR.  I've had negative comments at gun ranges, and then said, "Well, have you ever shot an AR-15?  Here, bust a few."

i.e., I act absolutely schocked and dumbfounded that they would even consider that I am unarmed.

I turn it around similarly and ask, "Don't you feel afraid all the time knowing that people may find out you're unarmed?  What do you do if someone breaks in?"

They answer, "Call 911."

I then laugh hysterically.  Then I look at them seriously, tell them, "Then if you won't arm yourself to protect your family..." (see how I cleverly work in that "for the children" thing) "then you had best find an armed friend close by that will come over.  You can die waiting for the police.  Lots of others have."
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
When I was running for office I had a man write to me and tell me he refused to vote for me because I carry a gun.

Patty

I refuse to vote for anyone who runs for office. Running for any elected office ought to be taken as a clear sign of insanity and, therefore, an immediate disqualification for holding office.

The only people who should ever be elected to office are those who had the good sense not to run.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I only had the problem once, with a co-worker. I chased him through the hallways and gunned him down like the dog that he was. End of complaints.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Last place I worked, there was a hokey meeting. In the Men's room the CEO was pissing in the next urinal. He saw my T-shirt and asked me what I shot.

I told him: "Service rifle. Two, three and six hundred yards. You shoot, too?"

"No."

"I hope you got a vascectomy so you can't reproduce. Any person that can't take care of themselves ain't worth a fuck"

I finished my piss and walked off.  

The look on that human's (read:IDIOT'S)face was priceless.

About two weeks later, there was a staff meeting. Part of it was "Gee, what are we going to do if Piccolo goes off!"

Like I have said earlier, I have admirers and detractors. I got wind of the meeting and crashed it.

"Ain't ONE of you worth the thirty five cents it cost me to load a single shot." I stared at every single person present."I'm not your problem. I'm a competitive shooter.I respect my sport. Besides, my pension comes from ther Union. You guys are jacking the management pensions around."

"How does it feel knowing that I don't think any of you are worth thirty five cents?" I continued.

"Now let me tell you how I feel as a shooter and a former GI", I said. "Tactically, you guys are at the mercy of the fleet. The fleet is full of deer hunters that can give me a run for my money in competition up to  200 yards. It's 153 yards from the gate to the first turn and 294 from the first turn to the second turn. Call it 300. Straight shot. There is one way in and out of here.All the red iron in this building is exposed. It's a mad bomber's paradise. Go in peace."

I walked out.

I later heard my name was instantly pulled OFF of the watch list.

My admirers came to my aid on that one.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Where I work, I'm very careful not to talk about guns.  My employer has it's own police force (yes, real police), and a no-guns policy.  The police there don't seem to know that a "no guns" policy does not carry the force of law, and have said that they will arrest anyone carrying a gun.  I'm not quite sure what would happen if I were "outed" while at work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Last place I worked, there was a hokey meeting. In the Men's room the CEO was pissing in the next urinal. He saw my T-shirt and asked me what I shot.

I told him: "Service rifle. Two, three and six hundred yards. You shoot, too?"

"No."

"I hope you got a vascectomy so you can't reproduce. Any person that can't take care of themselves ain't worth a fuck"

I finished my piss and walked off.  

The look on that human's (read:IDIOT'S)face was priceless.

About two weeks later, there was a staff meeting. Part of it was "Gee, what are we going to do if Piccolo goes off!"

Like I have said earlier, I have admirers and detractors. I got wind of the meeting and crashed it.

"Ain't ONE of you worth the thirty five cents it cost me to load a single shot." I stared at every single person present."I'm not your problem. I'm a competitive shooter.I respect my sport. Besides, my pension comes from ther Union. You guys are jacking the management pensions around."

"How does it feel knowing that I don't think any of you are worth thirty five cents?" I continued.

"Now let me tell you how I feel as a shooter and a former GI", I said. "Tactically, you guys are at the mercy of the fleet. The fleet is full of deer hunters that can give me a run for my money in competition up to  200 yards. It's 153 yards from the gate to the first turn and 294 from the first turn to the second turn. Call it 300. Straight shot. There is one way in and out of here.All the red iron in this building is exposed. It's a mad bomber's paradise. Go in peace."

I walked out.

I later heard my name was instantly pulled OFF of the watch list.

My admirers came to my aid on that one.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I get a negative reaction every single day.  The guys that work for me try continuously to work something anti-gun or negative against me for owning guns into the conversation.  They're fanatical about it.  Almost all of them are cops that are retired or on disability so every single one of them is against ownership of firearms by civilians.  I keep a gun in the desk when working late nights on weekends or when sleeping on the couch in my office (since the office is in a bad neighborhood), and I get constant hell from them about it.  I'm the GM, have worked here longer than anyone else, and have the owner's permission, so I can do it, but sometimes I think it would just be easier to be unarmed than constantly deal with those former cops.

Now that I think about it, outside of gun shows and gun shops, I can't remember a single positive reaction to the subject of guns around here in decades.  Other than a few family members, every person I know is very anti-gun.  Even the most financially and socially conservative people I know are anti-gun.  Sometimes I feel more like I live in Boston than in SC.z
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Nope. I live in Bama

You'd think that I could replace that with Texas, but alas it is not true

While I personally don't own a gun, there are some in my house, all owned by my fiance.  People (ok, ALWAYS women, go figure) ask me, "don't you get scared?"  And I'm like, "uh, no, why?"  "I don't know, guns are so dangerous."  And I reply, "yeah, for whoever breaks in my house."  This usually gets a disgusted look and the conversation abruptly ends.  

Sadly, even Texas is becoming poisoned by liberalism, slowly but surely.  Or maybe it's because I'm too close to Austin and the notoriously liberal Rio Grande Valley.  Or, maybe it's just that I'm in college...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#41]
The only time I get the anymore is when I start blabbering on
about full auto and suppressors...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#42]
The wife an I had a friend who was married to a liberal arts type from W. Texas.  He acted in local plays.  If we went to any gathering with them I would be verbally attacked by the extremely intolerant, cruel, mean-spirited, vicious, judgmental liberals he hung out with.  

One woman even freaked out when she found out that I wanted to buy an ultra-light plane.  She thought that I would destroy the environment...all by myself.

The liberals we encountered back then were very articulate, but totally lacking in the ability to reach conclusions that were anywhere near correct.  Not a prayer of thinking through to a correct conclusion.

Reality, how things actually are, and the relationship between cause and effect were totally lacking in these people.

Another thing I noticed in Austin, people were extremely careful to choose clothes, vehicles, and everything else to conform to some unwritten code of correctness.  It was like a police-state and still is.  

A few years ago I went to a bicycle race there wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat, the kind with the high front.  Boy, I sure did get a lot of disapproving looks.  In austin, hats have to be the kind that don't have the raised front, conform to the head, have to be in earth tones, and have to be about liberal themes.  Also, my face is wide, white and Irish looking.  That face shape and color gets a lot of disapproval in austin.  I'm old and overweight too.  In austin you need to have a thin face, be nordic but have a good tan.  You also need to be young and thin.  Wide, Irish looking faces are definitely something bad and are not tolerated by the 'enlightened'.  Overweight is just unforgivable to the 'liberal elite'.  Lance Armstrong has the look they like.  

It is not just about guns, there is a lot more to it.  They will never like us and we will never like them.

Memo to liberals:  unthinking idiots:  put down the crack pipe, joint, coke spoon, heroin syringe, pull up your pants,  and..........GET A JOB.  

A real job too,  like fixing SUV's.  Or, cutting down trees to make lumber for new homes.  Or, build highways.  Or, drill for oil.   Do something useful...for once in your lives.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Not really...Most people tell me "I'm not against the right, but, I won't own them myself."  

to which, I ca only shrug.  I will not evangelize to the unwilling.

My wife did the "Not in my house" thing until she got goats, and, the first cyote got in the yard and killed her favorite goat.

"Honey, can you buy that shotgun and teach me how to use it?" (Remmy 870 20G Jr. model)

She later pulled it out when a girl from up the hill came running for defense from an abusive husband.

She has since acknowledged that she was stupid for not allowing guns in the house, and, has learned the ways of the black rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#44]
We all know that 911 means, "we'll be there in about an hour."  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The only time I get the anymore is when I start blabbering on
about full auto and suppressors...

My stepdad, who is antigun, actually understood the need for suppressors when I brought it up.  No luck with FA.  But seeing as how he owns a company, I talked to him about buying a suppressor for a .22 I'm about to buy.  Lot easier to get it that way, and that way he can shoot it quietly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Nothing but positive responses, I'm selective who I talk shop with, guess that makes me "prejudiced".  About 1/2 the reactions are from people who don't know anything about guns but aren't anti-gun, then I have to school them on the laws and such.  The other 1/2 are people I've schooled previously and are cool with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Memo to liberals:  unthinking idiots:  put down the crack pipe, joint, coke spoon, heroin syringe, pull up your pants,  and..........GET A JOB.  

A real job too,  like fixing SUV's.  Or, cutting down trees to make lumber for new homes.  Or, build highways.  Or, drill for oil.   Do something useful...for once in your lives.

You should issue a public memo for trailer park conservatives to put down the Sudafed as well. I thought this thread was about people's reactions to guns, not people hating on Irish people? Reverse discrimination rants usually do better at stormfront dude.

I go to a generally liberal college, and strangely, i find that most guys are all in agreement that guns are in fact, very cool. The debate is usually over the social issues associated with firearms themselves, but i don't think i've ever met a straight man who wouldn't want to go to a shooting range and blow paper people to hell! The ironic thing is that many gay men are afraid of guns because of the redneck connotation associated with them, but I feel they probably need them more then anyone else, as homosexuals are 5x as likely to be victims of violent crime then the avg. american.

Girls are more of a toss up, around 50-50. You get the ultra liberal hippie types that only have programmed responses to firearms "OMG they are like, you know, so totally like, like evil you know?" and then saunter off in their hideous faux bohemian dress. My ex-gf had parents that didn't drink, didn't smoke, and programmed her into being so scared of guns she didn't even want to hold my M4gery... funny thing: her little brother is in high school training to join the military to get the hell away from his parents. Then you get the cool girls who like shooting once they try it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Girlfriend and I were at her aunt's house and I was looking at her Uncle Henry's in the gun section (Uncle Henry's is a weekly book up here in Maine that people sell everything in).  Anyways, the aunt asks what I'm looking at and I say "just checking out the gun section" and then, thinking she'll shock me or something she goes and gets it (a Makarov) from the other room.  I could tell by the way she was acting she thought I was just blown away that someone had a gun, so, not being one to be shown up, I say "here, check mine out" and I take my Taurus off out of my IWB holster, unload it and hand it to her.  Well, when she finally picked her jaw back up off the floor she says "you carry that EVERYWHERE?!  You must be paranoid!"  This a minute after she tells me that her Mak is for home defense, but she keeps it unloaded.  Some people.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Mike SSS,

You're probably being looked down on by an old law school buddy of mine.  He's a corporate lawyer in Austin.  He was a great friend to have in law school because we argued about politics every day.  He was the biggest ILLIBERAL I've ever met.  He was also a closet racist.  I will testify that it IS possible to graduate from an ABA-accredited law school without any 2nd Amendment jurisprudence.  Hour upon hour of lectures on civil rights, free speech, abortion.  All these rights the liberal hold dear.   h I almost forgot the 10 seconds in Municipal Corporations when the professor mentioned that cities can outlaw firearms, since the 2nd Amendment does not restrain regulation by the state.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I get a negative reaction every single day.  The guys that work for me try continuously to work something anti-gun or negative against me for owning guns into the conversation.  They're fanatical about it.  Almost all of them are cops that are retired or on disability so every single one of them is against ownership of firearms by civilians.  I keep a gun in the desk when working late nights on weekends or when sleeping on the couch in my office (since the office is in a bad neighborhood), and I get constant hell from them about it.  I'm the GM, have worked here longer than anyone else, and have the owner's permission, so I can do it, but sometimes I think it would just be easier to be unarmed than constantly deal with those former cops.

Now that I think about it, outside of gun shows and gun shops, I can't remember a single positive reaction to the subject of guns around here in decades.  Other than a few family members, every person I know is very anti-gun.  Even the most financially and socially conservative people I know are anti-gun.  Sometimes I feel more like I live in Boston than in SC.z

Sounds like you work with a bunch of assholes.  I say just continue what you're doing.  Tell them that if they have such a problem with it, go get the law changed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top