Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2001 9:50:48 AM EDT
Went to the local archery shop and was told by the guy behind the counter that there is a SgtMaj who is wiling to pay anyone $1000 if they can make this shot. Shoot an egg off a golf tee at 500 yds cold (pull gun out of case and shoot, no practice shots). You can use any shooting position, any rifle, any caliber with or without scope, with or without bipod but no benchrest. What do yall think.

PS He must witness the shot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Can I use a LAW rocket?

Seriously, I don't think it's impossible, but if he charged $1 for everyone that tried, he would make more money than he paid out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah just go sight in your rifle for 500 yard before u go and do it :)

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Went to the local archery shop and was told by the guy behind the counter that there is a SgtMaj who is wiling to pay anyone $1000 if they can make this shot. Shoot an egg off a golf tee at 500 yds cold (pull gun out of case and shoot, no practice shots). You can use any shooting position, any rifle, any caliber with or without scope, with or without bipod but no benchrest. What do yall think.

PS He must witness the shot.
View Quote

Allowing scopes and bipods, I'd say he's going to lose a grand a bitt quicker than he expected. I couldn't come close to doing it, but i've seen and heard of a few people do shooting equal or greater than that with scopes. Uglygun?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
[Tell dude who wnats to lose his ca$h to come down here to Texas.  i'll shoot the damn thing.  Seriously, that would not be too bad for some of the heavy gun guys I see at the range.

PS He must witness the shot.[/quote]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
My first thought was Barrett .50 at an ostrich egg.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in Lee County. E-mail me and I can get you all the details.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]
There are some shooters at a range I go to once and awhile.  These guys take 1000yd cold shots.  They also take 300yd cold shots with iron sights.  I bet one of them could use some walking around money.  This could be a SOF recruiting ploy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
erickm, I'm not that good of a shot yet, about the best I can group right now at 500 yards is in the 3-5 inch area so that doesn't give me a good probability of a first round hit even if I'm perfectly zero'd for the shot.

There are a few people out there though that I think can do it, some of those people being on this forum and others being from another forum.

All my shooting revolves around squirrel sized targets and hitting minute of squirrel, I haven't bothered worrying about minute of egg yet.    I'd definitely want optics though for something like this.

I'd also choose a cartridge that hopefully pushed enough wind or disturbed the air enough so that if I missed by just a fraction of an inch the egg would still possibly splatter.

I might send this link to a few people I know who are pretty decent shots, some of them might be in the area and be interested or atleast they'd like to read more.

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Where are you at in NC? I have a buddy here who is an ex Army sniper instructer who would love $1000 in ammo money, and he has the skills and equipment to pull it off. I have seen him hit 6 inch ballon first shot at 850 meters no problem on a day with some wind.
View Quote

Hey Garand.... A 6" ballon at 850 meters would be the equivalent of a 3.5" egg at 500 yard.  

An average egg is about 2-2.5" tall, by 2-1.5" wide.

A SUBSTANTIALLY more difficult target, especially cold.

Hitting a target of this size (avg. 2" for size) at 500 yds would REQUIRE a rifle and a person that can easily shoot .4 MOA COLD.

Now, this is possible... just not likely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Bob Munden?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#14]
 Link this thread over to[url] www.Snipercountry.com[/url]

There are a few boys over there who will more than likely wind up taking this fellows 1000.00 from him.
 Uglygun may have already posted a link over there. If he has, this could be interesting.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#15]
The annual shoot I go to is half-pint milk cartons at anywhere from 200-700 yards. [sniper]

One shot on an egg would be much harder, but even so, statistically, someone's gonna nail that thing.

What're the odds that he's giving?  100-1 would probably be reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey John (Holliger), how's it going?  Say I've got a business proposition for ya...

[}:D]
[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top