Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 12:43:48 PM EDT
Clicky

Also, NPR currently has a story on the NRA right now - complete with a phone interview with Lapierre saying "If you ever had a question about whether the 2nd amendment is important, just remember New Orleans"!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
That NRA they hate the Second Amendment!

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Way to go NRA!  Of course, I'm a paying, supporting member.

Are you?

Why not?

Can you think of a more effective gun rights group out there?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It will not even get to court. A few years ago HUD tried the same thing and got shot down. The judge said that you can't prevent tenants from haveing lawfully possed firearms in their own homes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take the other side of this purely for the sake of discussion:

If you come into my house carrying a gun, that's cool, I actually appreciate having armed people around most of the time.  But if you abruptly light up a cigar, I'm going to ask you to step outside and reconsider whether or not I'll invite you over again.  Nobody sees anything wrong with that do they?

Now, in bizarro world, you go over to Dolomite's pad and bizarro-dolomite flips his lid over you carrying a self-defense tool and asks you to take it outside.  Again, it's his right to do so, but most likely, if you're a self-sufficient type of person (as most here are), you're going to leave and find somewhere else to go.  That may kind of be a bummer, and a major inconvenience you - but hey - you sleep in the bed you make right?

If you're allowing someone else to shelter you, shouldn't you have to honor their rules?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you're allowing someone else to shelter you, shouldn't you have to honor their rules?

Yes, but if they are the US Gov. then the rules are already established.  (see:  constitution, U.S.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you come into my house carrying a gun, that's cool, I actually appreciate having armed people around most of the time.  But if you abruptly light up a cigar, I'm going to ask you to step outside and reconsider whether or not I'll invite you over again.  Nobody sees anything wrong with that do they?

Now, in bizarro world, you go over to Dolomite's pad and bizarro-dolomite flips his lid over you carrying a self-defense tool and asks you to take it outside.  Again, it's his right to do so, but most likely, if you're a self-sufficient type of person (as most here are), you're going to leave and find somewhere else to go.  That may kind of be a bummer, and a major inconvenience you - but hey - you sleep in the bed you make right?

I own 1/100 of a trillionth of those facillities, and I say in that part, they can keep their guns.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bizarro-Macman37 says "What a dick!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The were entering peoples homes, forcibly remvoing them, and / or confiscating their firearms.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The were entering peoples homes, forcibly remvoing them, and / or confiscating their firearms.

This is a different issue.  This isn't about what happened in NO - it's about FEMA not wanting residents to possess guns in gov't owned trailers.  Unless I'm missing something....

CR
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Dolomite you raise an interesting point...

I'm sure at least some of the people in the FEMA encampment aren't the types I want to have guns frankly. Crime is going to happen...

But it's exactly the *other* people - the law abiders - that need to be able to protect themselves. Even if the bad guys don't have guns... Two large young guys vs. a law abiding mother and her daughter... I want that mother and daughter to have every chance to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
In this case we are not even talking about a public facility such as the Astrodome.  FEMA has given small trailers to people to use as shelter until they can get homes repaired, or find new homes or apartments.  They rented some land and have a FEMA trailer park.  So, for now, these are people's homes.  FEMA has said, if you live here, you can't have a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep your right. And home owner assoc. should be allowed to ban evil black guns from their neighborhoods. And the bank called, since they actually own the house until the mortgage is paid off they don't want any guns in their house, and while were at it keep those evil devices out of the cars they own until paid off too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
-snip-

WHAT You dont like Cigars!! Damn I was looking forward to some day having a cigar over beer with ya!

Well damn..

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
People can criticize the NRA all they want, but if not for the efforts of gun groups (particularly the NRA), teh AWB would never have been allowed to expire, and those liberal asshats would be going after our handguns (and our balls by the way) right now.

Every gun owner should join and support the NRA for its great work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but if they are the US Gov. then the rules are already established.  (see:  constitution, U.S.)

Yeah, kind of like how they cannot ban weapons in National Parks?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
How did the challenge to HUD's and Chicasgo's public housing bans turn out?

More later to refute Dolomite's evin twin.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
What?  No way.  The NRA never does anything.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What?  No way.  The NRA never does anything.

LOL

That's exactly why I posted it...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#20]
The NRA has been kicking ass lately.  Furthermore the latest Freedom First magazine is the best one yet (of the 5 years or so that I have been reading it).  

Between them pulling out of Ohio due to a city gun ban, their response in NOLA, and this; I'll be renewing for sure.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The NRA has been kicking ass lately.  Furthermore the latest Freedom First magazine is the best one yet (of the 5 years or so that I have been reading it).  

Between them pulling out of Ohio due to a city gun ban, their response in NOLA, and this; I'll be renewing for sure.  

America's First Freedom is a great mag... And almost all of the issues of Shooting Illustrated I've read have had either cover stories or big articles on neato black rifles...

I only mention it to continue to blow the cover off that stupid long held myth that the NRA only represents pheasant hunters.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#22]

The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office had asked that guns be banned at the encampment because the trailers are close together and have thin walls, according to spokesman Deputy Fred Raiford.

"If a gun was discharged in any of those trailers, it probably would go through three or four other trailers before it stopped," Raiford said.

Paging OldPainless! 45/70 anyone?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office had asked that guns be banned at the encampment because the trailers are close together and have thin walls, according to spokesman Deputy Fred Raiford.

"If a gun was discharged in any of those trailers, it probably would go through three or four other trailers before it stopped," Raiford said.

Paging OldPainless! 45/70 anyone?

LOL

"FEMA Trailers O' Truth"
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Way to go NRA. I will have to join again!!!! Its nice to see some forward momentum from them OUTSTANDING!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Would you be thinking the same way if they banned books, news papers, and television?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also, NPR currently has a story on the NRA right now - complete with a phone interview with Lapierre saying "If you ever had a question about whether the 2nd amendment is important, just remember New Orleans"!

I caught that NPR story last night - almost fell out of my chair! I'm just guessing, but this may be the first time that NPR has EVER interviewed someone from the NRA.

They also spoke with a NO resident who stayed behind to protect his house - He had to brandish his AR-15 to scare some looters away.

The story ended with a somewhat depressed announcer concluding that NO might might now be the nation's most heavily-armed city.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Any news on the restraining order to stop confiscations?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
sweet
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I caught that NPR story last night - almost fell out of my chair! I'm just guessing, but this may be the first time that NPR has EVER interviewed someone from the NRA.

They also spoke with a NO resident who stayed behind to protect his house - He had to brandish his AR-15 to scare some looters away.

The story ended with a somewhat depressed announcer concluding that NO might might now be the nation's most heavily-armed city.

Glad I wasn't the only one that caught it!

You're right about it ending somewhat depressed... Did you notice how the media (NPR included) are now spinning the NOLA situation to be nowhere near the chaotic situation we saw on TV... Like they can spin the hours and hours of videotape somehow to sound like that was it, it all happened on TV and the rest was all flowers and kittens and love and peace... Riiiiiight...
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Any news on the restraining order to stop confiscations?

A restraining order was issued, and a "consent decree" was signed.  I have copies, but forget where I downloaded them.  Basically, the various LE agencies signed, denied seizing guns, but agreed to not seize any in the future and to return the guns they denied seizing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top