Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 12:17:28 PM EDT
Anybody know any good websites that teach calculus. My professor is one of those who seemed to memorize the book and just dictates it during class.

I need help arfcom! Your taxes are paying for my education, so the more you help the quicker I graduate!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Email me with whatever help you need.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anybody know any good websites that teach calculus. My professor is one of those who seemed to memorize the book and just dictates it during class.

I need help arfcom! Your taxes are paying for my education, so the more you help the quicker I graduate!

Differential, integral or vector calc?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your textbook so bad you can't read it yourself?

Not a wiseass answer. SOme books are far better than others....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Just really basic cal 1

The textbook is like reading some navajo code.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
calc 1 is easy.  if you are having trouble with differential calulus, just you wait until integral calculus.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I need help on specifically implicit differentiation, book barely goes into it and the guys quiz has it.

need to find dy/dx of  

(x^3)+(y^3)=3xy^2
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't your school have a math lab where students can tutor you for free?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok I need help on specifically implicit differentiation, book barely goes into it and the guys quiz has it.

need to find dy/dx of  

(x^3)+(y^3)=3xy^2

y is an implied function of x so you'll need to use the chain rule to help you along ...

x^3 will give you 3x^2  then to deal with y^3 you diff y to get 3y^2*dy/dx and on the other side
you'll have to use the product rule and chain rule so you'd have 3y^2+6xy*dy/dx then solve for dy/dx

ETA:  acutally x^3 part will not play into answer I don't think so it will stay x^3 ... Been awhile.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just really basic cal 1

The textbook is like reading some navajo code.

I just went through this. I had a great professor that pretty much just wrote his own text book on the board as we went along. All I had to do was take complete notes and it was great. He explained things very well and made it easy. Mid term we got a professor switch and suddenly I was stuck with someone that went so fast I couldn't take notes and listen at the same time, but the stuff they did on the board was not really worth taking notes on. So I cracked open the book. What an awful educational took this POS book is, Just like you said it seem to the be in code and written in a prehistoric language.

So, I bought Calculus for Dummies. It's not great, but it did help a lot, makes things a bit easier to understand, and I think it's only about $15.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

need to find dy/dx of  

(x^3)+(y^3)=3xy^2

ETA: i cant read
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Calculus: d’agony and dx/dc
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the Calculus book by Larsen and subscibed to the web site for 6 months - $25 well spent

http://hmco.tdlc.com/public/icalc/
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the help guys! Arfcom works better than some professors
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
This is weird. I had a dream a couple of nights ago and I was the math teacher.

Go figure. Someone asked me to explain a problem on the board. This was so preposterous my subconscience cut the damn thing off at that point. I think the bell rang or something.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I had calculus this summer and I got an A easy.  Everyone bitched it was hard or they didn't understand.  Thats fine if they put in the time.

Not to be a dick if you do these things, but these things really really do help teach you:

*Read before the lecture on the section in class (yes that means in a math class trying to figure out on your own what you will be talking about)
*Take notes and copy all the examples during lecture, ask questions
*Do all the homework and then do MORE if you feel like its still cloudy (even if you have to refer to your notes a lot to do the HW, you need to do a lot of problems)
*Then re-read, re-write your notes and do review problems for the test

I see to many of my peers trying to skip out on one of those steps and they get the grade they earned.  Just because you pay to go to school doesn't mean you are entitled to a good grade.  You earn your grades through your school work.

If you do all that, and still don't understand I'd get a tutor or something, but there is no reason to use someone else as a crutch thinking it will help you understand it better for less time.  School is work

now your problem:
need to find dy/dx of

(x^3)+(y^3)=3xy^2

Your going to take the derivative of every term, and every term that never had an X variable you will add (dy/dx)

Rules used:
Product Rule
Chain Rule

Thus:
3X^2 + 3Y^2(dy/dx)=6X+ 2Y(dy/dx)
Move like terms to both sides
3X^2 - 6X = 2Y(dy/dx)-3Y^2(dy/dx)
Factor out dy/dx
3x^2 + 6x = (dy/dx)(2y - 3y^2)
Solve (divide out)
dy/dx=(3x^2 + 6x)/(2y - 3y^2)

Then simplify if you can.  I think thats how you do it.  If there is a problem its with my 3xy^2 turning into a dy/dx with the product rule.  Its been a while and I don't have my notes in front of me
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

need to find dy/dx of  

(x^3)+(y^3)=3xy^2

When doing these kinds of problems, I find it much less confusing to take the derivative with respect to both variables and then divide to get the dy/dx.

The differentiation goes in chains, and you can use a few simple rules to break it all down.

x and y are variable, things that we are differentiating with respect to, and n is a constant

d(x+y)=d(x)+d(y)

d(n*x)=n*d(x)

d(x*y)=x*d(y)+y*d(x)

d(x^n)=n*x^(n-1)*d(x)

Applying the rules to the equation you have and working it all out goes like this:

d((x^3)+(y^3)=3*x*y^2)

d((x^3)+(y^3))=d(3*x*y^2)

d(x^3)+d(y^3)=3*d(x*y^2)

3*x^2*dx+3*y^2*dy=3*y^2*dx+3*x*d(y^2)

3*x^2*dx+3*y^2*dy=3*y^2*dx+3*x*2*y*dy

Then you solve the equation for dy/dx with normal algebraic methods:

3*x^2*dx-3*y^2*dx=6*x*y*dy-3*y^2*dy

dx*(3*x^2-3*y^2)=dy*(6*x*y-3*y^2)

dy/dx=(3*x^2-3*y^2)/(6*x*y-3*y^2)

dy/dx=(x^2-y^2)/(2*x*y-y^2)

And that's all there is to it. There's a couple more differentiation rules for different operations, but you just look up the rules for the operations you have and apply them in order.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too funny. I almost pissed myself. Amost. Da-da-daaah... Da-dah-daaaaaah.. Dahh--dahhh-daahhh. I miss the wide world of sports.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Calculus is the root of most of your problems.

You laugh.... but....

Calculus is the root^2 of all evil.

"If I have seen farther than others...it it only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"

Sic

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
get a TI-89.

I've actually discovered that the jibberish in the textbook is pretty informative if you read enough of it (i.e. half the book).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for reminding me how much Calculus I've forgotten
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Calculus for dummies. Actually a pretty good book to supplement poor text books.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
This site really helped me when I was going through.

Calculus@internet
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
get a TI-89.

I've actually discovered that the jibberish in the textbook is pretty informative if you read enough of it (i.e. half the book).

That thing is great, but you have to read the instruction manual which is bigger than the calculater itself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Contact a tutor or ask the math department for a tutor. It's free unless your school does not offer a "math lab" or "math tutor" program.

You have an entire semester to continue, it's best to go with a tutor, as opposed to www.ar15.com
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Doesn't your school have a math lab where students can tutor you for free?

What’s funny is when I took an integral calc class over the summer at a community college there was a great math lab with a lot of services - at The University of Texas there isn't shit.  Here calculus is used to weed out the weak.  I think all business majors require at least 2 semesters of calculus, accounting requires 3.  Economics, part of the College of Liberal Arts requires 3 semesters.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
calc 1 is easy.  if you are having trouble with differential calulus, just you wait until integral calculus.

I found integral to be a lot easier actually with the exception of hydrostatics.

ETA- the Stewart Calc text books are generally well written and if you buy the solutions manual it works out line by line all the odd problem.  This is important because in Calc seeing the answer is really not the helpful, but seeing how they arrived at the answer is.  The way I approach calculus and statistics problems is I list what information I am given, I identify why I need to find, and then I identify the types of tool of formulae that I can apply given the type of information.

A TI-89 is, of course, very helpful with integration, limits and differentiation.  It is not helpful for infinite series type problems most of the time.  I used it to integrate problems that would require trig substitution or partial fractions once I had learned those methods because they take too damn long and it is easy to make simple mistakes.  However, my university does not allow any type of calculator on calculus 1,2, or 3 exams so relying on a calculator to help with homework maybe counterproductive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#30]
While we're on the topic, could anyone here explain what the Chain Rule is and how it works?

I've failed the first two tests and it's just getting worse....

I can do the Product/Quotient Rule just fine but I just dont' know what the Chain Rule is all about....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top