Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 11:10:26 AM EDT
I have an inova T1 flashlight I use for every day carry.  It uses 1 123A battery.  I have a surefire 4 battery carrier that is great for a bag or my glove box, but it's to big to always carry in my pocket if i'm going to go somewhere I know I will need my light for such as at night in the woods.  I don't always know how much battery power I have left in my battery that is in my flashlight.  It gives  me 1 hr per battery if I remember correctly.

What is a good small carrier I could use to hold 1 123A battery and wouldn't be much larger then one of the batteries but would keep it safe so no fear of it going BOOM?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Earplug container
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Electrical tape over the contacts.

And so you know, it'll catch your pants on fire right before it explodes....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how about a 35mm film canister?

that is about the size of the 4 battery carrier.  I'm looking for something where the battery doesn't get to banged around
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Wrapped in a single layer of (tactical) black electrician's tape is how I store them when loose.

(See then, when I need to use the battery, I just peel the tape off of it and wrap around the old one)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
would contact be made through the electrical tape? Does it leave them sticky? I don't want to gunk up the light if I don't have to.

I wonder why no manufacturers make a single carrier for these lights.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to an outdoor store and pick up a
pill vial. They're spun aluminum, come in
several sizes. A well stocked store will have
the right size..I know the size of your cell and
one of these containers should fit nicely..
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
would contact be made through the electrical tape?

No, that's why it's 'Electrical tape'; and 'no' electrical tape doesn't leave any residue like Duct tape.

Electrical tape over the contacts is an excellent solution.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go to an outdoor store and pick up a
pill vial. They're spun aluminum, come in
several sizes. A well stocked store will have
the right size..I know the size of your cell and
one of these containers should fit nicely..

would a metal container make it contact both ends possibly and go boom?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would contact be made through the electrical tape?

No, that's why it's 'Electrical tape'; and 'no' electrical tape doesn't leave any residue like Duct tape.

Electrical tape over the contacts is an excellent solution.

I leaves residue after it heats up a few times. Can someone give more details on the spun aluminum pill container?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]
i read a guy using a fat cigar tube. it was plastic with a friction plug for a lid. he could cut it down to whatever size he wanted and he used little styrofoam plugs as spacers for 2+ batts.

i think it was in the ar15 forums...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
A travel size Tylenol kit would probably work (holds about 12 tablets, a little bigger than chapstick.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
You could store it in one of these. Put a little plastic disc (or elecrical tape) over the ends of the battery to keep it from discharging. The added benefit is that the things make excellent spare lamp carriers, too.

Now ask me how to carry 30 rounds of 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You could store it in one of these. Put a little plastic disc (or elecrical tape) over the ends of the battery to keep it from discharging. The added benefit is that the things make excellent spare lamp carriers, too.

www.flashlightsunlimited.com/images/Inova/T1.jpg

Now ask me how to carry 30 rounds of 5.56.

That reminds me of an old Boy Scout joke....

What is the definition of a flashlight?

A case that is used to hold dead batteries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Not exactly what your looking for, but some of the tubular plastic containers for keeping matches waterproof will hold two 123 batteries nicely.  I got one just for that purpose several years ago in the camping supplies section of Wal-Mart.

Don’t know if it’s necessary, but I drilled a small hole in it to vent off any gases.

And I guess you could cut it in half and tape over the end to store just one battery.

Alternately, if it’s just for emergencies, why not just wrap one battery up with heavy plastic film and duct tape.  Cut it out if you need it.

Or some sort of durable coin container for dimes might also be easily modified for what you want.

FWIW, in my experience 123 batteries die pretty abruptly.  Spares are a definitely a good idea.  Spare bulbs are also a good idea (unless you’re using an LED).
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Two small cut sections of bicycle inner tube works great for holding two of them. One around the tops, one around the sides holding them together. Try doing it with only one. Use one of those small dia. tires for road bikes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wrapped in a single layer of (tactical) black electrician's tape is how I store them when loose.

(See then, when I need to use the battery, I just peel the tape off of it and wrap around the old one)

Wrap it in a single layer of aluminum tape!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
When I carry 2 or 3 loose, I just put them in a small bag, like a small ziplock that screws or something come in and then wrap either electical, Scotch, or duct tape around it to keep it secure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Wrap it in saran wrap........
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Best answer yet^^^^^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top