Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 6:19:42 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any good Buddhist reading material?  Buddhism technically isn't a religion, so I decided to ask here also as GD gets more traffic.  

If the mods decide to move this back to the religion forum then so be it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
bump for afternoon guys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, Siddhartha is a fictional account of the life of Siddhartha Gotama, which has a lot about the principles behind buddhism, but I thought the book sucked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Careful, a lot of people in the religion forum think it's a "christianity is right everything else is wrong" forum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Careful, a lot of people in the religion forum think it's a "christianity is right everything else is wrong" forum.

And some instead of being helpful act like dumb ass jerks who like to hijack, shit in threads, and try and pick fights where it they are not needed.

Buddist Reading Circle
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some instead of being helpful act like dumb ass jerks who like to hijack, shit in threads, and try and pick fights where it they are not needed.

Buddist Reading Circle

Potty mouth!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
{sigh}

From one of those evil Fundies in the Religion forum....

Try the Tao of Pooh as a good starter.

The Tao Te Ching is also a good one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buddist Reading Circle

And some try to give friendly warnings, and have jackasses run their fucking mouths automatically placing a meaning on a statement that wasn't ever there, except in their own diluted mind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
{sigh}

Taoism may have its roots in Buddhism, but they are not the same.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]

umm. those are NOT bhuddhist texts. They are Taoist. Note the Tao part in the titles?!
Despite what people think Bhuddhism is a religion and NOT a philosophy. Difference is it so different from All other world religions it is mistaken as a Non-religion.
Best thing to get is a primer about Bhuddhism to explain it's initial mindset.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a website I liked a lot.  It's designed for kids, but covers the main points pretty well:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/secondary.htm

Buddhism as it is practiced is certainly a religion, in the sense that it tries to address the unknown in much the same way that other religions do.  The fact that it doesn't explicitly address the concept of God doesn't make it any less of a religion.

That being said, I'm raising my kids to be both Catholic and Buddhist (my wife is Thai).  There actually aren't many conflicts between the two.  I sometimes jokingly say that Christianity explains why we are here (part of God's plan) and Buddhism exlains why it sucks to be here (and how to end your suffering).

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I did some looking around the web. I am going to have to write a paper on another 'religion' I was thinking Buddahism or Islam.

About.com links

Not a surprising statement coming from a guy who supports killing of innocent babies. ie:

Again, I also think that the vast majority of abortions are wrong
- Dusty_C

'Vast' is not 'ALL'. 'Vast' allows some....

Well, we are 'right' and everything else is 'wrong'.

Thanks, I take that one as a compliment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
kama sutra?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not a surprising statement coming from a guy who supports killing of innocent babies.

Ahhh, yet another moron absolute Christianist.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a surprising statement coming from a guy who supports killing of innocent babies.

<--count me in.

One of the most basic tenets of Christianity is that yes, there is one way, one truth, one life - His name is Jesus Christ.

There is no such thing as an 'absolute Christian'.

There are Christians, and there are lost people.

It is - black and white - that simple.

But that's another subject, for another thread.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd like to see where you got that, I've stated several times that I'm anti abortion.  Reading, it's a necessity, not a novelty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<--count me in.

One of the most basic tenets of Christianity is that yes, there is one way, one truth, one life - His name is Jesus Christ.

There is no such thing as an 'absolute Christian'.

There are Christians, and there are lost people.

It is - black and white - that simple.

But that's another subject, for another thread.

I don't hope you're wrong and die only to find out the Hindus were the only "right" ones....but it sure would be funny as hell.

arowneragain steps in line, is issued a sacred cow, a turban, and ushered into the "oh shit" pavillion with all the other Christians where it takes 25 years to get the bug-eyed look off his face.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Pick up some old Sgt Rock comics.

No wait...that was Budda Budda Budda.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Re-Read my post Dusty_C.

Have a good night.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Buddist Reading Circle

Some think any disagreement whatsoever is 'shitting in a thread', 'hijacking', or 'picking fights', when the term 'debate' is much more accurate.

Consider this, if I posted 'there is no god' in the religion forum, I would not view your contrary position as 'shitting'.  However, if you post 'Jesus loves you', and I respond that that is fiction, you cry 'TROLL!'.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Consider this, if I posted 'there is no god' in the religion forum, I would not view your contrary position as 'shitting'.  However, if you post 'Jesus loves you', and I respond that that is fiction, you cry 'TROLL!'.  

If you were to post 'there is no god' in the religion forum, odds are the thread would be locked and/or your comment would be deleted. It seems those who frequent that forum are rather thin-skinned...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
{sigh}

Uh Taosim has about as much to do with Buddhism as belief in Zeus has to do with Christianity.

And to the original poster, Buddhism IS a religion. It is philosophies like Taoism and Confucianism which are NOT religions.

However that didn't stop a bunch of retards from combining those philosophies with tennents of Buddhism and creating a few more psuedo religions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
{sigh}

Taoism may have its roots in Buddhism, but they are not the same.

More correctly, and you may already know this, Taosim is a reaction to Confucianism.

And while BOTH co existed with Buddhism they have little or nothing in common with, and can hardly be considered rooted in Buddhism.

Of the two, Confucianism would have more in common with Buddhism than Taoism.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Thing I love the most is people belive this is Buddha
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to all the guys who actually posted something useful in my thread.  

Steyr, I'm just starting to get into Buddhism, I'm actually only through my first book now.  I appreciate all your help.  

I'm going to request this thread to be locked.  I will just keep religion questions in the religion forum from now on.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#28]
request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top