Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 3:47:18 AM EDT
Fifth Anniversary Of Attack On USS Cole In Yemen    
10-12-2005

(Norfolk, VA) -- Today marks the five-year anniversary of the attack on the Norfolk-based USS Cole in Yemen. Seventeen sailors lost their lives when suicide bombers blew a 40-by-40 foot hole in the vessel's side October 12th of 2000. The occasion will be commemorated on Wednesday with a ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk. Many of the victims' families are expected to attend. The service will honor the deceased as well as crew members who sprang into action to save the damaged ship.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
13th MEUSOC, we were first responders and stayed until the hauled her off.

I have pics somewhere, I'll get them up tonight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]

I was returning from my first deployment when that happened.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching the sailors do target practice with the close-in defensive weapons is amusing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sunday night there was a good program on the History Channel about the attack on the USS Cole.  I never realized that al Qaeda nearly sank the Cole.  The midsection of the ship below decks was pretty well gutted and the bulkheads were weakened to the extent that near catastrophic leaks were springing up for days afterwards.  "If not for the courage of the fearless crew.....etc."  Not to make light of the attack; the Clinton Administration did a good job of that.  But the incoming Bush Administration dropped the ball as well.  It was a crime and I believe it led directly to the Twin Towers bombing.
Ingrained PC thinking prevented the US public from realizing we were at WAR.  The really sad thing is; what has changed?

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]

I got to see her up close and personal in Mississippi as she was being repaired.  God Bless those 17 people and their families who gave their lives on the "War on Terror" before it was even the War on Terror.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The British frigate HMS Marlborough (F233) was the first naval vessel to come to Cole's assistance.

Royal Navy Suicide boat bomber deterrent…

tinypic.com/eilf1g.jpg

ANdy

Is the white clothing to make the salior RoP compatiable?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The British frigate HMS Marlborough (F233) was the first naval vessel to come to Cole's assistance.

tinypic.com/eilf1g.jpg

ANdy

Flame retardant PPE
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I read that the Clinton administration's ROE had the deck guards' weapons unloaded/empty mags.

All they could do was watch the boat come alongside.

He may have been a hit with the interns, but he was an abysmal failure as CinC.  He has the blood of many good men on his hands.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I read that the Clinton administration's ROE had the deck guards' weapons unloaded/empty mags.

He may have been a hit with the interns, but he was an abysmal failure as CinC.  He has the blood of many good men on his hands.

The weapons were not unloaded. It is not uncommon for various boats to pull alongside for different services. In this case, the boat was believed to be a trash boat. They approached normally, and did not offer a clue as to their intentions until the last second.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weapons were not unloaded. It is not uncommon for various boats to pull alongside for different services. In this case, the boat was believed to be a trash boat. They approached normally, and did not offer a clue as to their intentions until the last second.

If that's so, I stand corrected.
Clinton was still a weenie of a CinC!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/eilf1g.jpg

ANdy

Flame retardant PPE

Thanks
I thought that it might have been worn to prevent offending muslims.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top