Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:25:22 PM EDT
Just heard from someone that Road Runner is blocking their access to Drudge and other alternative news sites - claiming that these sites are promoting hate speech.  Anyway I do not know if this is true, but would love to here if AOL and Road Runner users out there are seeing this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If Drudge is "hate speech" then they probably can't log on to AR15.com either!

Jim
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
False.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
how the fuck would that be legal??
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
As a Time Warner/RoadRunner employee in South Florida. That info is false. We don't block anything, anywhere, at anytime.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How the fuck is it illegal? Show me anywhere in the TOS or contract that they have to provide throughput to any site. It's the internet. No taxes, few rules. My kind of place.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1st ammendment oesn't apply to private companies.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Has to be false. How many people would drop their ISP if they couldn't surf where they wanted
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If not block it, could they make those chosen sites load extremely slow?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If not block it, could they make those chosen sites load extremely slow?

We don't have enough time to do our regular stuff, let alone F with sites. We don't monitor, watch, block, or do anything else to what our users are doing on the internet.

Oh and www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm your best source for why the internet is slow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Cogent's issues with Level 3 last week could have affected some users and sites, but not Drudge.

I think someone's really confused.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
But Alex Jones said...  The person who told me (the a/c repair guy who has been here for the last 2-3 days) this was complaining about his connection, told me he had spoken with Austin Cable Vision (which I am pretty sure is Time Warner) and that Alex Jones mentioned it on his program as well.

The mention of Alex Jones looses credability somewhat - probably more than world net daily I guess.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
No ISP will ever block access to any website.  If they do so, then they open themselves up to being liable for blocking anything that some idiot feels offended by.  They want to remain a "common carrier" as opposed to a "content provider" in the eyes of the courts and FCC.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did ace a Mass Communications Law course in college.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But Alex Jones said...  The person who told me (the a/c repair guy who has been here for the last 2-3 days) this was complaining about his connection, told me he had spoken with Austin Cable Vision (which I am pretty sure is Time Warner) and that Alex Jones mentioned it on his program as well.

The mention of Alex Jones looses credability somewhat - probably more than world net daily I guess.

There's your clue right there.  "Alex Jones" and "credibility" don't belong together in the same paragraph.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have RR and nothing is blocked for me
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you all for chiming in.  I was not attempting to troll post or defame any isp.  I had a legidimate discussion with a person and thought what they said was slightly suspicious (ie, they mentioned Alex Jones).  

I will be talking with them again in the near future and discuss that their problem might be local with their computer (who knows, their wife may have put a kiddie blocker on or something.).

Nothing more to see here.   Serval local RR users have chimed in, and that is all I needed to hear.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
There was a dispute between two high level service providers - and they temporarily blocked access to each other's networks for a short time last week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top